Hot baths

hedgehog2000

Reaction score
I have just read that this is a big no no when pregnant. I didn't know, so I've been having a long hot soak most nights. has anyone else heard this, I'm feeling a tiny bit stupid ( and worried!) . Thanks.

i did hear something about not taking hot baths during the first few weeks.... not sure how hot... how many weeks are you? if you feel fine then i wouldn't worry too much! a nice warm bath eases aches and pains.. a hot bath has a different meaning to everyone... x

I've heard of this too,
me and my MW had a quick chat about it just after christmas, I was asking if it was safe to use my new bathspa and she said it was and spoke about the study's that had been conduted on jacuzzi's (because of the constant temperature) and she said that when your pregnant your core temperature is lower then normal so you feel the heat quicker.

Basically you would feel too hot before it would do any damage.

The concern doctors used to have about temperature is that they thought that it cause nural(sp?) tube defects but this study found that this is only a risk if your body core tamperature gets to high, and that only happens if you a extremely ill with a very high fever.

long story short hot baths do no harm although my midwife said to be carefull when getting out as they lower your blood pressure and can make you very dizzy. and the last thing you want to do is faint over the side of the bath.

if your really worried just ask you Midwife

sorry it's so long.

xSuzx

I've read this too, your advised not to overheat, particularly so in the first trimester. So it's best to avoid hot baths, strenuous work outs etc...

You can still enjoy plenty of warm baths though, it's a great help for all the aches and pains.

xSuzx said:
and she said that when your pregnant your core temperature is lower then normal so you feel the heat quicker.

I was told your body is slightly hotter dues to the extra work it's putting in which is why you shouldn't take hot baths as your body will get even hotter.

Quote from http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy ... mf,00.html
A study published in the November 15, 2003, issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology found that women who used hot tubs or Jacuzzis in early pregnancy were twice as likely to have a miscarriage as women who did not.

Women in early pregnancy -- and those who are trying to get pregnant -- might want to play it safe for the first few months and avoid hot tubs or any exposure to hot water that will significantly increase body temperature.

hth ! x

sorry ive not heard or read anything about this ive carried on as normal i love a hot soak in the bath :D xxxx

I have baths nearly every night as it relaxes me. I did the same with my first pregnancy and have a beautiful healthy and very bright 4 year old so don't worry about it.

Phew I like a hot bath, I would find it very uncomfortable and so unrelaxing in a bath that was not hot enough

Stop all this talk about baths!! I only have a shower, and I'm craving a bath more than milk!!!!! :lol:

As soon as i got pregnant i lost my ability to feel heat. I burned myself on the iron and oven etc and i would never notice till i blistered :x

So my baths were really hot! Even my Oh couldn't stand them and he likes hotter baths me usually!

I asked doctor if it would harm baby and he as long as a part of my belly was above the water (no matter how much) then there's no chance of overheating baby.

He said the scare of hot baths was intended for americans who spend a lot of time in hot tubs with all of their belly under water!

Thank you for all of your replies. I'll stop panicking and just mention it to my mw next visit. x

as long as you dont come out looking lke a lobster i dont see a problem with hot baths, i am on baby number 3 at it never hurt me, infact i practically lived in hot baths with number 2 to ease back ache!! i think the general rule is not to hot in first trimester and no oils which could trigger off labour later on like clary sage etc, also if your waters have broken dont use bubble bath etc as they could cause infection but other than that you have made me fancy a bath right now lol think i'll go n have a soak :D

hot baths use to make me feel really sick so i didnt have them and i hate not having hot baths

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back