Hot baths, why not??

twilly

Reaction score
I haven't seen a gp or midwife yet, booked in for a couple of weeks time.
Just relying on common sense and advice on here to know what I should/shouldn't be doing.
One thing I read and didn't know before was hot baths are bad :oooo:
Why??? Is this really true?
I love having baths and now i'm too scared to have one.
What's considered too hot?
I feel pretty stupid and naive, but this is all so new to me...

It raises the body temp which isn't good for baby..when I have a hot bath It takes a few minutes to get in cuz its so hot.. A normal warm bath is considered okay..I had one every night in my pregnancies..hth x

I was reading one of my pregnancy books and it says that your body will tell you when it gets too hot.... As long as you do not sit in a very hot bath for too long....

Am not a bath person myself... so just quoting the books. :)

Yes it can raise your BP, as long as your not sat in a bath full of boiling water you will be ok, if you find yourself sweating that is too hot, I love my baths and still have them pretty hot but don't stay in them as long unless the water is cooler. x

I love a bath!! It is wonderful in pregnancy cos when lying still you can caress your bump and feel all the movement while it relaxes you, de-stresses you and I take a book in with me!! Just done make it so hot your skin is red!! I made a bath in Tri 1 and it was too hot - I knew cos I nearly passed out!! Not good... I say run a bath to just a tad under the normal temperature you like and if you feel dizzy then add some more cold and when it gets to cold - top up the hot water - you'll be fine!!

Its just to do with body temperature! I would say my baths were quite hot...not boiling hot but hot enough xxx

Hot baths should b ok if u allow it to cool and not keep topping it up iykwim? A prolonged increase in body temp can cause defects to a developing baby but this applies more to saunas etc rather than baths xx

:wave:Thank Ladies.
Did have a wonderful bath last night after reading these.
Just feeling a bit anxious and paranoid sometimes, like most of us at the early stages, hopefully I will relax as the weeks go on!

i remember back in tri one when i ran a bath that i would normally do, i love my baths rather hot, and on this particualr day i hadnt noticed by my skin had started to tinge red, however i was wonderfully relaxed so i didnt want to get out. I suddenly felt very very sick so i took the plug out and got out of the bath, my legs went like jelly and i managed to get the towel around me before i stumbled out of the bathroom and collapsed in a pile for a few moments i was out cold.
Apprently; the heat rasises your blood pressure dramatically in a short period of time which brings on the faintness. I am so paranoid about the temperature so i do the getting in test. If i can get it without having to stop whilst lowering myself in then its okay if not then its too hot xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back