Advice please all you seasoned pregnant girlies - baths

babyblonde

Reaction score
Baths - good or bad?

Have heard that baths are not a good thing as people used to use hot baths to get rid of unwanted pregnancies.

How hot is too hot???

I love a bath and am desparate for one with all the aches and pains going on at the mo - is it ok?

babyblonde said:
Have heard that baths are not a good thing as people used to use hot baths to get rid of unwanted pregnancies.

Only with a bottle of gin and a coat hanger :?

Baths are fine AFAIK. I certainly neve thought twice but can understand you being apprehensive :hug: Bean is very well insulated, so I doubt you could boil him!

Interesting - another blue vote :think: (you might be right there....)

Interesting - the debate rages!!!!

So I should be ok for a bath then - I'll try and keep it warm rather than toasty

babyblonde said:
Interesting - the debate rages!!!!

So I should be ok for a bath then - I'll try and keep it warm rather than toasty

Are you still here? Get under that water!!! Enjoy :)

Still here as just crammed a cheeseburger down in 30 seconds and now taking my time enjoying the milkshake

Ive had hot baths from day 1....and I mean HOT, cant bear a warm bath!!!!

I have a bath every day with Maddison and its lovely and warm :wink: Your wee boy will be just fine :wink: :lol:

Baths are fine and in later pregnancy they are a godsend to be rid of a little backache...ahh how nice :)

a Website says:

Warm baths have been used for centuries for all sorts of reasons and the relaxing effect on body muscles and on the mind is well known. There is something "luxurious" about soaking in a warm bath and there is nothing to suggest that this is unsafe in pregnancy.

However, you do need to be cautious about "hot" baths as there is little known about the possible effects on the blood flowing through the placenta or on the baby. If the water is too hot, you could also feel faint or sick, as it could lower your blood pressure a bit too much - not a good thing.

So how do you decide if your bath is "hot" or "warm"?

Test the water with your elbow or forearm before getting in as you would for a child. This part of your skin is more sensitive to temperature than your feet or hands. Warm should be just comfortable so that you can get straight in without having to get in bit by bit! A too-hot bath is also likely to affect the colour of your skin, turning it red, and you may find yourself sweating.

Happy soaking!

I had a bath the other day then freaked out about whether it was too hot on not and ended up kneeling in it just to make sure it didn't touch my tummy then got out 5 mins later!!!
SO glad to hear I can have a nice soak in a bath and it won't be harmful...just need to not have it as hot as I normally do as I tend to boil myself :lol:

Go get clean and have a bath ya smelly ladies haha...your allowed!

I think that your amniotic fluid is usually a little hotter than you are thats why it's important to keep cool in summer too, so I guess it works the same if you got into a boiling bath, you amnio fluid would be a little hotter than you are in that bath...

I started off having warm baths in the 1st Tri.......probably body temperature which is the recommended temperature, then in the 2nd Tri they got a little hotter......and now, well lets just say they are just fantastic and somewhat steaming!! My baby is breech so I always think its only his feet that will heat up a little anyway :D

I have a bath every day - I think 37C is the recommended maximum, which I think would probably be too hot to get into anyway! How do you think pregnant ladies cleaned themselves before showers were invented? :lol:

Happy soaking!

I asked my doctor about this and she hadn't heard of not being able to take baths but said to avoid jacuzzis or steam rooms.

From what I have read the main thing you want to avoid is raising your core body temperature as that will heat the baby. So I am sure if the bath is 37 degrees or less then you are fine :)

Go enjoy your bath :D

I never had time for a bath in the end after all that!!!!

Going to have one this evening though as every muscle in my body is going 'oooooooouch!' :lol:

Well you know, I did walk round for a whole hour today and only had a 2.5 hour nap this afternoon so it's to be expected :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back