How long are you having off on maternity leave?

Rayoflight

Reaction score
Following on from the other thread about when you're going on leave, how long is everyone planning to have off?

My lovely (and very stupid) husband suggested that I use up my 4 weeks holiday, then he'll use his 4 weeks plus then tag on his 2 weeks paternity and then when baby is 10 weeks old my MIL can look after it.

I said "And when are you thinking I'll go back to work then?"

To which he replied "After your 4 week holiday?"

ARSE.

I'm planning to have 10 weeks off and the thought of it scares the hell out of me. I know I'm going to struggle and am preparing myself for a total breakdown now!

Wow 10 weeks! That will go so quick!

I am planning on 9 months, less if im climbing the walls, more if i can afford it.

xxx

I'm having 10 months off!! I'm taking 5 weeks holiday before little man arrives and will go back to work next July!! Only 8 weeks to go till I leave... Can't wait :D

im planning to have 9 month of and then just go back part time, maybe just 2 days a week.

10 weeks wowwee, i was thinking more 9 months, id be taking my maternity leave at 37weeks then i will have 8 months til i go back to work, cant afford to take any unpaid maternity so thats why im not taking the year xxx

im going back after 9 months, would of loved to go off for the full year, but cant afford 3 months with no pay, so when it drops after 39weeks thats when im back :-/

10 weeks is mega soon!!

xxx

I am taking 6 months, would love longer but we can't afford it unfortunately!

blimey 10 weeks, I went back after 18 with my first, and that felt very short at the time Hun

I hate my job with a passion, and I will be giving up my job!, they will think I plan to go back till the latest I have to tell them,only -hanging out for maternity and possible redundancy.

I don't care not having money, hubby has his job in a supermarket, will do us just! been there before, will grow veg, have my chickens, cut back, I make all my own bday cards etc, (saves a fortune) and either plan to learn to be a writer or go back into business and go for it properly as a handcrafted greetings card supplier, not to private sales as before but direct to small shops and outlets, something where I feel I can make a difference - not just a small part in the corperate world!

Also I want to make the most of my last baby before I miss it this time, went back full time when my youngest was 3 and regret it

Last edited:
I'm planning on having the full year, I have been saving like crazy and have got enough money in the bank to pay all of our bills (mortgage included) for a year now. If my husband's business is slow we have got enough cash to cover ourselves.

I'm planning on having the full year, I have been saving like crazy and have got enough money in the bank to pay all of our bills (mortgage included) for a year now. If my husband's business is slow we have got enough cash to cover ourselves.

Wow Rhino! God you are good, you have must have been like a secret squirel for the last year!

I plan to take 9 mths off, with my last baby I took 10 weeks off (I started my maternity on the Saturday and had my baby on the Tuesday morning!) and I tell you it was tight going afterwards - I was like a walking zombie for about a year after and always felt run down, doing too much in one go, work, baby and looking after a house! I plan to start my maternity the last week of Oct and the baby is due 19th November so I,m not really sure when I am due back hoping it will be at start of August (cannot take time off unpaid can,t afford this).

I think I'm going to take the full year. The 3 months without pay will be tough but I think it will be worth it. Then I'm hoping to go part-time when I do return - maybe 3 days a week.

Wow Rhino! God you are good, you have must have been like a secret squirel for the last year!

Or just tight :lol:

I'm fortunate I earn a decent salary and I am boringly sensible (to the point of anal) when it comes to money, I don't have any debts apart from a mortgage and ever since I started work when I was 22 I always made sure I saved some money every month even if it was just £50.

I think I'm going to take the full year. The 3 months without pay will be tough but I think it will be worth it. Then I'm hoping to go part-time when I do return - maybe 3 days a week.

I'm going to go back part time - either 3 or 4 days a week. 3 is preferable but depends on my husband's business at the time.

Or, if we win the lottery i won't have to go back at all. Now that is the ideal scenario... I HATE working!

I'm only having 10 weeks too as I work from home so can hopefully juggle it all around!! Would like to take more but financially not viable. :-(

*tri 1 crasher*
sorry I'm crashing in! Haha

my other half is going self employed at the end of this week, so am hoping I can have full year with the 3 months unpaid as he will hopefully be earning enough by then, but If a couple of months before he isn't then will go back to work. Can't wait til the last day until maternity leave! Won't be sad to see the back of my job! For now anyway. Was thinking of doing some studying while I'm off and do a course of some sort toget into teaching assistant type job! X

we are planning on 9 months but could be 6. x

Went to look at a couple of nurseries today (everyone has been telling me I need to get my name down!) and have worked out I'll be £60 worse off per month working full time and paying for nursery compared to no nursery and SMP.

What is the point?

Went to look at a couple of nurseries today (everyone has been telling me I need to get my name down!) and have worked out I'll be £60 worse off per month working full time and paying for nursery compared to no nursery and SMP.

What is the point?

Will you be having longer off on maternity then? I haven't even started looking at nurseries yet, quite scared, as i know how expensive they can be! Does your work do the childcare vouchers, they are meant to save you quite a bit in tax - im definately going to look into it. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back