Home cooking challenge!

I haver, and failed miserably! I'd end up poisoning Damien :shock:
I can cook roast though, I could live on that :lol:

Roast is great, meat and veggies mmmmm. I love roast chicken with bread sauce (packet sauce :lol: )

I don't really eat sauces, except chip shop curry sauce , mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol:

I've made thingies from recipe sachets (like Colmans or Shwartz (SP ??) but they still go wrong :(
No wonder I was on Can't cook Won't cook :lol:

Thanks Vicky it was delicious!!

Yes Urchin I do plan another one next week, anyone any ideas??

I wanna do something too but don't have any ideas

OH is being no help i asked what he would like and i just got a dunno :roll:

As long as it is not a pie as i cannot do pastry at all

jo said:
OH is being no help i asked what he would like and i just got a dunno :roll:

Sounds like the answers I get from my OH :wall:

Might try a cottage pie? I have attempted it before, but went soooooooo wrong.

I do a lovely shepards pie if i do say so myself
will PM you if you want
:D

I got a really good recipe from first magazine the other day for a chicken pie. I dont ever make the pastry, I just make the filling and then roll out some puff pastry over the top of the dish. even cheifs recomend buying puff pastry cause its a sod to make at home, you need machines to do it properly. Plus if you just have a puff pasty crust, its not as fattening and you dont get soggy pastry underneath.

I will be making this recipe next week as something new.

Sounds nice for OH and Em but i don'y like pies :?
am so fussy i don't like stews or caseroles either

I fancy making a strogonoff from scratch not using a packet mix :think:

Am in the process of making my fish pie :D

Will try and take a pic later :)

I'm glad everyone is getting into it, cos it makes me want to carry on and do a new thing every week.

I like pie :wave:

Just made the curry, got the rice ok cooking at the moment. Think I was over generous with my tablespoons of ghee :oops: and I also think that my lamb wasn't a very good cut (dammit I need a good butchers all the ones around here are shite!), so I cooked it for 1hr 30mins and it's nice and tender now. Quite tomatoey but nice and mild (used mild chilli powder). Really fancy making a korma or passandra now.

Thanks for the recipe Cat, will post how we got on with it :D

Yeah I wanted the taste of fresh tomatoes more, so I used just a small tin on chopped tomatoes and two big cooking tomatoes sliced up. I also cooked it for well over an hour, so the sauce reduced loads.

Went down well thanks Cat, DH really enjoyed it and it was mild enough for Ella to have a bit aswell :cheer:

i have just started doing a different meal a week... but i dont think anyone will want my receipes as there are veggie ....so far 3 weeks on i have done...

cauliflower and quorn mince bake
singapore style noodle with quorn mince
vegetable curry

all were nice but curry was too hot.

maybebaby... my OH sould like he might be twins with yours he is so fussy... he is even scared of mushrooms haha :rotfl: he would kill me for telling u :rotfl:

xxxxx

One of my favourite dishes is Spanish Chicken....Here is the recipe if any one wants to try it.....
Ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
3 chicken portions on the bone
1 tbsp plain flour,
290ml/½ pint chicken stock
a big glass of red wine
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Tomato Puree according to taste
300g/10oz button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Olives
boiled rice, to serve

Method
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large heavy pan, then add the onions and mushrooms and fry for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and soft.
2. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the pan, then add the chicken and fry until evenly browned. Remove chicken and place in an oven proof dish, Add the chicken stock, onions, mushrooms and their juices, wine, olives, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and simmer .
3. pour over the chicken portions and place in oven for about 45 mins. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if necessary. Just before serving, sprinkle over the chopped parsley and serve with boiled rice.

Its also yummy with mash or a jacket. Hope it makes sense!

I really want to make a shrimp linguine (they do the best one at a restaurant we went to on holiday a couple years ago www.bahamabreeze.com) but I can't find a recipe that sounds tasty! They all sound so bland :?

Any ideas anyone?

i rarely stick to recipes, i usually make it up as i go along!

How about this Kina.....

fry prawns in butter, add lots of garlic, a splash of white wine, a touch of cream, and a little squeeze of lemon, bit of chopped flat leaf parsley, and stir it through your linguine???

I do that dish on the BBQ and add lots of chilli, its gorgeous with crusty bread instead of pasta.

How much garlic would you use? I'm crap with measuring it out! Had a disaster in food tech at school when I thought a clove was a bulb..... :shock:

Sounds gorgeous though!

I'd use 2 cloves but then I do LOVE garlic!

Id use 2 possibly 2 cloves...i love garlic too. as for other measurements i just taste and add accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back