Home cooking challenge!

Urchin

Reaction score
I was gonna put this in Feeding and Nutrition, but this is about more than baby meals.

I think we should each try to cook one thing each week that we've never cooked before.

My speciality at home is roast lamb and mint sauce. I do a lot of casseroles and cottage pies etc. Today I cooked my first item I'd not cooked before and it was roast pork with crackling (I've done pork before but not with cracking etc)

SO a good start for me this week, BUT I need to cook a fish dish as I just NEVER do it and it;s so good for you I want Mason and Brody to like !

At some point this week I promise I will cook a fish dish, and I don't just mean cod and chips!

Please someone else join me and promise to cook something new too!

How about Fisherman's Pie Urchin? :think:

urchin if you try fishermans pie i shall too.
Shall i look up a recipe from the net? :)

budge said:
urchin if you try fishermans pie i shall too.
Shall i look up a recipe from the net? :)

Yay do it....have you cooked it before?

I want to see photo's of the end result as proof! :rotfl:

years and years ago when i lived at home with mummy and daddy.
i remember it was quite a success too *puffs out chest with pride* :D

ill go find a good recipe then. Im excited now. Ill go to morrisons tomorrow and get the fish. :cheer:

:wave: This is a great idea Urchin! I'd love to join in too.

Is the idea that we all make the same dish or just as long as we all cook something new each week?

Lucy

Lucy said:
:wave: This is a great idea Urchin! I'd love to join in too.

Is the idea that we all make the same dish or just as long as we all cook something new each week?

Lucy

I thought we could all be adventurous and cook something we'd never cooked before. So if you've never cooked a strogonoff or something, that can be your challenge.

ive laways wanted to cook goulash

I've never made fish pie and wanted to for Ella and DH, so bring on a relatively easy recipe :wink:

Bleurgh the thought of cutting fish makes me feel queasy at the moment but I will give it a go! Need to get the fish in but I will try it out later this week and post a pic :D

Kina said:
Bleurgh the thought of cutting fish makes me feel queasy at the moment but I will give it a go! Need to get the fish in but I will try it out later this week and post a pic :D

if you go morrisons they will dice it for you kina.

Kina, if you buy the fish from the fishmongers in a supermarket they will chop/fillet/skin it for you (and if it's in Asda they even put it in your trolley!)

We're going down south to see my family on Thurs so I'm going to opt out of this week (need quick easy meals). I'll deinately do it the week ater.

Does anyone remember a website where you put in the ingredients you had in your cupboard and it came up with a meal idea? I had the URL but it now says the site has moved :( I found that really good to give me meal ideas.

Lucy

Lucy said:
Does anyone remember a website where you put in the ingredients you had in your cupboard and it came up with a meal idea? I had the URL but it now says the site has moved :( I found that really good to give me meal ideas.

Lucy

Oh never heard of that, if someone finds me please let me know....it sounds like ready steady cook LOL

I'd love to try soemthing new, i will do it next week when Oh gets paid then i can buy all stuff i need

I hate him on a salary this last week is always rubbish :?

that site if any one finds it seems a great idea

google here we come :D

im not very good in the kitchen, would love some good and easy ideas, cant make that fish pie i would throw up :puke:

i can give anyone the recipe for mean cheesy beans on toast :D

sophie27 said:
im not very good in the kitchen, would love some good and easy ideas, cant make that fish pie i would throw up :puke:

i can give anyone the recipe for mean cheesy beans on toast :D

Whatever you decide to cook, it doesn't have to be weird and wonderful....just something you've not done before.

I'm totally stuck in a rut with my cooking, I need some new ideas!

why dont you do fish maltese style then :

You need :
Cod/Haddock
Peeled and partly boiled Potatoes
Onions
fish stock
little bit of white wine
salt and pepper
bit of garlic

really easy to make:

in a lidded frying pan put the ingredients in layers first onions, then sliced potatoes ( preferably in rounds), then the fish, put in garlic, stock and wine. season and cook on a very very low heat. make sure that stock does not dry out so check it every now and again and if it does add some more, and voila, this may look a bit bland but the taste is gorgeous. serve with other vegetables,hope you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back