Faint line - early pregnancy or was it an early miscarriage?!

cornishfairy

Reaction score
Been TTC for a couple of years (although not trying very hard if I'm honest!) but have lately started testing around 3-4 days before my period is due with the cheap ultra early test thingies off ebay.
In March we had unprotected intercourse once around day 13 of my cycle. I'm usually around the 27-29 day mark with my cycles so pretty regular. Therefore I was expecting my period around 2nd April but it didn't start until 5th April (day 32). In the days leading up to it I did a few tests seeing as I hadn't come on yet, but they were all negative.
The period itself was heavy which is not unusual for me but on the 4th day (April 8th)I had a sudden gush of clots (say at least an egg cup full, more than a pad could absord, luckily I was near the loo!). After that the period was light for another 24 hours and that was that (so all over by the end of the 9th April).
We had unprotected intercourse again on the 15th April (day 11 of cycle) and I had some slight trace of blood in discharge yesterday (day 12) so I decided to do an ovulation test this morning as I had heard that you can get spotting when you ovulate. I decided to do a pregnancy test at the same time (I'd dreamt I was pregnant last night!) just out of curiosity and there was a faint line on the OV test and Pr Test. Discovered on google that OV tests can show positive when pregnant. When I got in from work this evening, I tried another of the ultra early strip Pr Tests as well as a standard test from the supermarket that I've had a while. Both showed a faint line within a minute or two. I took photos at the 5 minute mark so I wasn't swayed by any later reading.
Could this somehow be a pregnancy? Could a fertilised egg have survived a period or is that totally impossible? Or could it be that the period was an early miscarriage and this is leftover hormones (one week after end of period)? Just strange that I didn't get any positive readings the day before my last period!
Sorry for the long post, just want to give you all as much info as poss!

Forgot to add, for the first 5 days after my period, I felt really queasy in the evenings although that seems to have gone away now.

I had the same problem - was showing very faint lines on varying brands of test several days after my period was due but then I started bleeding very much like my period except it was darker blood with some light red in colour. The next day I started passing clotted blood and went to the docs where he informed me that the egg had most likely been fertilised but not successfully implanted so I was having a very early m/c. Apparently most people wouldnt even notice but because I was ttc and had taken tests I unfortunately was aware of what was happening.

I don't feel pregnant any more, my boobs have stopped hurting and I am not getting any cramps but I am still not 100% sure of what happened but I don't want to test again incase I still have hormones left over and get myself excited over nothing :( Just gonna wait and see and keep trying again.

I hope that you are not in the same boat as me, only thing I can advise is to maybe test in a couple of days and see if the test results come back stronger. For me the results always stayed the same faintness despite leaving days in between which was a sign for me that something wasnt right.

x

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about that. I've got a docs appt later on so will see what they suggest. Still got a line this morning. Weird this is, I had negative tests even the day before my period, and a few days after (tested as I kept feeling sick). Only just noticed a line these past couple of days (1 week after end of last period).

That is pretty strange, normally they say that you should get a positive reading on the day of your missed period. I do hope it turned out to be a definite BFP for you, keep us updated on what the doctor says!

Doc was not very helpful. Showed him the tests, he said 'aren't the lines meant to be the same
Colour?' I showed him the packet which said the colour doesn't need to be as dark to still be a positive but to be honest I don't think he believed it! He just said wait and see if you get a period next month. If not, then test again. Duh! I'd be doing that anyway! So I'm gonna do the little strip tests each day and take pics so I can compare darkness Of the line. If its getting darker/lighter it may give me some clues in the meantime! X

Poor you that wasn't very helpful :( think you're right to track the line darkness. Maybe get a digi and test every week as these will come up 1-2 2-3 3+ etc. so you can see that the hormones have increased xx

That is really not helpful! Shocking.

Just keep testing every 48 hours, if pregnant the lines should get darker. Also keep a note on how you are feeling etc.

Hopefully they will get darker, keep us updated. x

Good idea on the digi test. Will try and get one soon. Just done a test to compare to this time yesterday and it came up even darker than this mornings. When I get chance I'll try and post the pics so you can see. Wary of the fact I may be kidding myself!!

Your doc was a bloke? eh they never seem to understand a womans body...FX for you sweety I hope you get a BFP!!

He was indeed. He was going on about 'false positives' and looking up a lot of stuff on the computer. Didn't seem to know what he was talking about :/

Hopefully these pics will work and in order... the tests are Tuesday afternoon (the plastic test and the strip) and then one from this morning (Wed) and one from this afternoon (the darkest one). Am I seeing things?!?! These pics were all taken at around the 3-5 min mark after dipping in the sample. xx

Attachments

• Tues 17th PM 2.JPG
    Tues 17th PM 2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Tues 17th PM.JPG
    Tues 17th PM.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 55
  • Wed 18th AM.JPG
    Wed 18th AM.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Wed 18th PM.JPG
    Wed 18th PM.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 55
No, I can see that they seem to be getting darker but I have no experience of all this in terms of your earlier period. Keep an eye on it (the horrible waiting game ) xx

they are getting darker - I think it is time for a digi!

fx for you

xx

yes i agree do a digi that last one is defo a possitive to me in fact they all are just ur hch levels are getting stronger xx

Those tests look good. you can sometimes get a period even when pregnant , called breakthrough bleeding if your levels are not yet strong enougth to stop the period , but it's normally slightly lighter or shorter

Keep testing, wishing you lots of luck x and what a shocking doctor!!!

Hi,

They without a doubt look positive to me! You can still get periods when pregnant as said above. My SIL had them for 5 months when she found out she was pregnant. Its not a 'period' as such but bled like it was.

DIGI and then another docs appt I reckon with a diff doc (female one!).

Thank you for all your feedback. I'll pick up a digi test on Friday evening. I'm going away Saturday morning for just over a week of girly fun (altho now I may have to lay off the bubbly!) so i'll keep you posted and if it's still positive when i get back next Sunday I'll get back to the docs. And definitely ask for another doc!! Xx

Ha ha! Dunno about willpower...been planning this trip for 6 months and was looking forward to a few beers...typical eh?! How things work out...still, I'd rather have a bfp and sacrifice the ales ;) Let's just see how it goes. Crossing everything!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back