Epidural

krystal&jack

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone thought of epidurals? :think:

I really want to keep my birth as natural as possible and hopefully a water birth. Problem is everytime I say this to people they laugh and say just wait till you feel the pain. It's like everyone enjoys telling you the horror stories of birth. :shakehead:

I'm really bad with pain and I know it's gonna be hard work and I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses about it.

I really don't like the idea of epidural and possible side affects. I've told my OH that if I end up asking for it during labour I want to be encouraged as much as possible not to have it but he doesn't seem that confident in trying to support me with it.

Can you have a good labour without going down that route?

i had an epidural and i think they are great :lol:

i didn't want one in my birth plan but after nearly 30 hours of labour i gave in and asked for one :)

It really depends upon how well you can tolerate the pain. I didn't want one with my first, but as the labour went on and I got more and more exhausted I found myself asking for it. I didn't get it and ended up with pethedine which just left me feeling off my face and still shouting out in pain.
I didn't get one with Aimèe either and I ended up screaming the place down!
With Sam I just wanted a quiet and calm birth, and knowing how I have problems breathing through the pain, I insisted this time I got the epidural. It was a much more gentle experience for me with the pain relief. Even though it wore off before the pushing began, and I still ended up shouting :oops: :oops:

Krystal i felt exactly the same as you about epidurals. i really didnt want one but it was always going to be my last resort as pain relief, especially because of the whole cathatar thing. also like you i asked my hubby to discourage me as much as possible if i asked for one during the birth.
By the time i got to hospital i was asking for a c-section and i hadnt even tried the gas&air :rotfl: ! Without any pain relief i thought i would never manage it but as soon as i got the gas and air it was bliss and took away all the pain. i also had a 5mg shot of diamorphine but that was because the gas and air wasnt really taking away the pain by the time i got to about 7-8cm.
Im also usually quite bad at coping with pain, but i would totally recommend breathing techniques for the first stages. It was really hard for me to concentrate on doing them but when i really concentrated on my breathing it got me through the contractions before i got any pain relief.
I was only in labour for 6 hours though. I think if i was in labour for a really long period of time i probably would have needed an epidural.
sorry to rant on :oops:
I hope you manage to get your water birth and its as natural as possible for you and hopefully not too long. but trust me no matter what happens during your labour itwill all beworth it once your holding your little baby. :D

If you have a straight forward birth and you can last longer than six hours without pain relief fair play you proberly wont need it.

But keep an open mind hun, I really didnt want one but I had mine to late when I did need it as it only numbed my leg :x

thank you for that! knowing me I'll prob be asking for the C section quite soon after my first contraction too :rotfl:

I'm keeping an open mind about things cos I know you can't really plan too much but its good to heareveryones opinions :wave:

I hated the thought of an epidural and really didn't want one, I'm very squeamish about my spine. 14 hours in and I would have performed the procedure myself! The pain was excruciating (IV Inducement). I don't think people enjoy telling you the horrors of birth, but it really is a pain like no other. (I have been told its very close to toothache, but never having had it I can't tell you :think: )
I also had pethadene before my epidural which I found awful, it was like I was drunk and I can only remember bits. I do however recommend the gas and air. It was fantastic. So much so that I remember thinking for the first 8 hours that I could do it on gas and air alone! What an ar$e! :roll:
Having said all that you might be one of the lucky ones. Just go in with an open mind and see how you get on. Either way I'm sure it will be an experience! :hug:

I had an epidural and it was great. I was in agony and it just got rid of all of the pain in an instant. I know sometimes that it can make the labour longer as you are unable to feel contractions but I was only pushing for half an hour. I couldn't get out of bed for a few hours afterwards as my legs were like jelly but that wasn't too bad and I have had no after effects from it. If I end up having another baby I doubt I will have diamorphine (pethadine) again as it made me really drowsy for a couple of days which I didn't like.

I was adamant I wouldn't have one and I didn't - some people said I was brave, but frankly I was more scared of the epidural needle than I was of labour pain.

If you don't want it - then don't have it. But don't feel bad if you change your mind.
With labour - remember, it's not the journey that's important - only the destination!!

mrsT said:
With labour - remember, it's not the journey that's important - only the destination!!

What a fab saying!! I'll keep that in mind thanks :hug:

PS - I had 24 hours latent labour and 6 1/2 hours established labour with only 2 paracetomol - I was determined to give birth my way and am a HUUUGE wuss with needles and drugs which helped!!

Be strong - you can do it!! (but it doesn't make you a bad mum if you need pain relief!!)

krystalmair said:
mrsT said:

What a fab saying!! I'll keep that in mind thanks :hug:

LOL - i'm full of words of wisdom :wink:
If you want to chat about this more etc - pm me. I have plenty of tips!
(none of my friends have babies and no one wanted to talk about the labour and delivery so a year on I am still bursting to talk about it all!!)

lol, i can imagine, any advice you have o any of your experience is more than welcome!! This is my first baby and I'm a gemini so I'm keen to get as much info from as many sources as possible :cheer:

LOL
This could be the longest post ever - so i'll try to keep it short!

* Use a birthing ball - bouncing is ace in labour!
* Take funny socks - your feet will get cold in labour and if you are sat there naked (or at least semi naked) having a contraction - looking down on a daft pair of socks (something brightly coloured is best) will help make you laugh!
* Do your times tables - if you are having a bad contraction and feel as though you are getting bogged down in it and it's all you can concentrate on - start multiplying - I found the 7 times table best - it's very hard so really takes your mind off of the pain. (Expect funny looks from your midwife, as I did, when I came through a contraction and asked what 7 X 8 was!!)

Will think of some more for you.
Please ignore what you think is daft!!

:rotfl: i love the idea of wearing funny socks, i'll def do that. esp as I hate my feet being cold, will have to warn my OH he'll think I've lost the plot. :rotfl:

i don't ilke them. ive never had one purely becasue i think when you have one it takes away all the natural body urges etc and most people who have them have to have other interventions such as forceps/vontuse or c section coz the labour has not progressed naturally.

ooo

(Told you I would go on and on and on....)

* Pull funny faces - contractions will naturally make you pull all manner of daft faces - with your birthing partner get a little competition going on who can pull the funniest / stupidest / ugliest face during a contraction, this will help make you laugh - which aides labour, but also encourage you to open your eyes and relax a little (where possible) during a contraction, making you come out of it quicker!

* The mantra - pain is good - helps
Try and remember that the more painful the contraction the closer you are to meeting your baby.
Also during a contraction - imagine your cervix opening. A bit daft and pregnancy books usually recommend this. You may laugh at me suggesting this, but it really really helps - it makes you think of positive things during your contraction, and you will be helping your body during the contraction rather than fighting it!

* Moan - don't scream (where possible) moaning is less of a negative mood - screaming puts your body in panic mode and you will struggle to regain your composure!

i had a c-section so had to have a spinal (very similar to an epidural) the actuall procedure wasnt as bad as i was expecting but after my c-section i found it so hard not to be able to pick my baby up when he cried! obviously in my case i couldnt get out of bed anyway and i dont know how painfull labour is so its hard for me to give advice but i would have loved to pick my own baby up rather than ringing a buzzer! also found it very hard to breastfeed because i couldnt pull myself up to sitting although guess this could have been more the c-section....
i think you should wait and see how you cope!

I said i was NOT having an epidural all the way up to labour, contractions started straight after being induced (was already 3cm dilated) and at 9am i asked for one, the nurse said "you dont want one do you" so i said "yes and quick please" they gave me it around 11/12 and i had him at 3.04pm, i would seriously recommend them, i was tired and un comfortabke and basically if i have another itll be a case of epidural ... COME TO MAMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsT said:
Also during a contraction - imagine your cervix opening. A bit daft and pregnancy books usually recommend this. You may laugh at me suggesting this, but it really really helps - it makes you think of positive things during your contraction, and you will be helping your body during the contraction rather than fighting it!
!

That doesn't sound stupid, other day I watched a video online which showed what happened inside your body each time you had a contraction and I thought of keeping that image in my head, I think if you understand what a pain is doing then it's easier to cope with definately!

Thanks to others for all your rplies too, really is putting my mind at ease! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back