For those who had an epidural!

lea m

Reaction score
Did any of you have a birth with pethidine or diamorphine first, then have another child and have an epidural??

I had diamorphine with my other 3 but this time was thinking of having an epidural!
I just keep thinking it will be too weird lol! Having no pain after having 3 very painful ones? hee hee
But no pain sounds good this time! I have gone so soft lol

ive had labour with no pain relief and one with epi. and I much prefered the no pain relief.

the after effects of epi can be horrible,

I had an epidural with my 1st but not with my 2nd and 3rd. I never had any problems with the epidural but I think I preferred it without. I didn't like not getting the urge to push and I couldn't feel if you were pushing propally.

i had an epi with Beth and it was crap, lol. It totally ruined the birth for me. I couldnt push her out and had to have a ventous. Id also had 3 top ups, and the pain only seemed to go away for about 15 minutes at a time, so weather it was me having a reaction to it or they'd just put it in the wrong place in my back, i dont know, but its reeeeeeeaally put my off having one again this time.

I had an epi and it was fantastic! I was in so much pain before it that I didn't know what to do with myself, once it was in I was able to lay calmly as I had contractions and therefore I enjoyed the rest of my labour much more. ALthough I had to wait 6 hours for mine and then the first one didn't work!

First time I had an epi.. second time I was preped for the epi but never had it as the anaesthetist was in surgery... and didn't have any other pain relief other than screaming (no gas and air in Spain).... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'd go for the epi every time. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I can't express how painful an 8 hour labour is with no pain relief... :roll: :roll:

Had epi's with both, second one I got 1/2 dose and then he was born :roll:

TBH I wouldn't have an epi again - my back hurt for ages and still does now with a sharp pain :x

i had epi with my first and it was fantastic did have bk pain after though

Thanks for all the replies ladies!! :D
Quite a few for and against lol
I have lots of time to decide still so thats good haha
Im not liking the back pain thing! If it can happen, it will with me ha
I guess its something to discuss with my midwife and have a looong think about!! :D
Thanks again!! :hug: :hug:

i wont even go into the post epi head ache that lasted 2 weeks :wall:

I had an epi with my son and I definately won't be having one this time.

I still have back pain 10 years later!

my epi worked for 10 mins then fell out and no top up worked so i gave birth with no pain releif but still have the side effects ! back spasms and pain and when i actually had it i shaked like a leaf it was horrid !

i had a mobile one btw so i could feel my legs and move them ( altho i couldnt walk as was on monitor)

and i suggest if u want one , sooner then later as trying to have it done durring BIG contractions is a nihtmere !

I have heard about the headaches! That is one major put off for me as I suffer already with headaches and migraines often!
It seems most people have the back pain for a long time?
Hmm thank goodness I have over 7 months to think about it haha

i'd wanted a natural birth with very little pain relief, but was induced and couldn't take it any more - so after 10 hours i had an epi and it was bliss. i had pethidine before that and hated every second...

no side effects from the epi either

:)

Cool!
One other reason Im thinking of an epi is Im too soft for just gas and air now lol ( I tried that with my second son, then they gave me a shot of diamorphine?? yeh thanks! it gave me a nasty absess too!)
I cant really remember his birth! :( The effect started as I gave birth and it knocked me out!
I had pethidine and diamorphine with my first! It made me sick as a dog!
The effects were wearing off towards the end of his birth, so I do remember the first time I held him, but had like tubes in my arms and stuff lol as I couldnt even keep water down!
I had diamorphine again with my DD and can hardly remember her birth too! My clearest memory is the next morning, waking up and it was my birthday and I looked to my side and saw her in the little hospital crib!! :( I really want a clearer head this time! I want to remember the birth!

I am the pro epi person!! :rotfl:

I didn't have any back pain at all.

The headache is caused buy them putting the needle in a bit far, so you aren't more or less likely to have one if you suffer from headaches (i do and didn't get one)

I agree with G3m though, get one before it gets too bad, I was in so much pain that I couldn't even sit up for them to put it in.

Next time I am asking for one when I phone the ward to say labour has started!

With Lydia I had gas and air, and diamorphine (which made me vomit all over and did nothing to help my pain), and an epi (which was heavenly).

With Alex I had gas and air, and an epi, but the epi didn't take very well so although it helped a little bit I was still in a lot of pain.

I would still go for the epi again if I had a third baby - but no way would I have diamorphine again.

If you want one then have one I'd say, as doing what you feel is best will make your labour much more relaxed and enjoyable :hug:
I personally would hate to have another epidural, I didn't like anything about it, it took away my control, my sensations of my body and baby, and it properly messed up my back!
Very best wishes, I do hope you have a wonderful labour and birth this time around, no matter how it unveils :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm against..

I had one with Ella and it didn't work..well, it did, but only on the left side of my stomach. I was offered gas and air for the pain (After the Epi was inserted) and it was sooo good :)
If there's a next time I won't have one.
I never got any back trouble though..but of achyness for a while but nothing bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back