Epidural

I had one and I found it made the whole experience of giving birth a really lovely experience. I didnt have any of the 'I cant cope' or I feel like Im splitting in two when Isabella was crowning. When I have another baby I will def have epidural again.

Please don't take this the wrong way girls - but you can have a positive and amazing birth experience without an epidural.
Yes you do feel a splitting / intense stinging when the baby crowns, but it's a massive acheivement giving birth, why shouldn't you feel it.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way - you have to do what is best for you - I just think that if someone is looking to give birth without an epidural we need to do all we can to encourage her.
It is possible - yes it hurts - but it is definately worth it. I ould definitely have another drug free labour - I completely believed in my body's ability to give birth and did all I could to help it and embrace every feeling that came with it. (my daughter was 8lb 14.5 oz with a head circumference of 34.5cm so was quite large!)
I know that sounded a bit hippy - and believe me I'm not like that usually.

I will stress that getting baby out safe and sound is more important than how you get through labour, but if you have ideas / beliefs about something, you go for it.

:cheer: You can do it! :cheer:

I didn't want an epidural. The idea of them putting a needle in my spine terrified me far more than any amount of pain. I didn't want Pethadine as I didn't want our baby to be made drowsy as I heard that that can cause problems with breastfeeding.

I had a home birth (which I would recommend to anybody), I had a birthing ball and TENS machine until the last 30mins or so when the second midwife finally got there (it was a very fast labour and she was going throuhg Reading rush hour traffic) with the Gas and air. I didn't find it helped much - expect it did give me something to concentrate my breathing on which did help. At one point I did start to feel - I had made a mistake and I wouldn't be able to cope. That was while I was lying back in the bath and it was lying back that I found unbearable. I found that sitting forward on the birthing ball was much more bearable - and then standing up when it came to pushing leaning foward onto the dressing table. I can't help wondering whether it is the fact that hospitals seem to want you in a bed lying back is what makes it worse? However I was lucky that mine was such a fast labour, I don't know what I would have done if it had been like that for more than a couple of hours. Official time 2hrs 15min.

Definitely short labours help - I was in latent labour for 24 hors and established labour for 6 and a half. My DH was 8000 miles away in the Falklands so I didn't have a birth partner, just a very supportive student midwive and another midwive that popped in and out.

The birthing ball was a life saver - when I had to lie on the bed to be examined - I struggled to cope. As I had told the midwives I wasnted no drugs, they were quick and both helped me back to the bball as quick as they could.
I wanted to deliver my baby kneeling as I heard it was easier for you (gravity helping contractions) but my thighs were so knackered from bouncing on the ball for 6 hours solid that I ended up half lying down / half sitting. - Not what I wanted, but I didn't care - as long as baby was safe!

Hi krystalmair

I hope I havent upset you by post my comment regarding an epidural. Previous to me having an epidural I had got to 7cm without any pain relief at all. For me it was right. If you ever read my birth story you will know why my birthing experience to me was very special.

You will be fine and I just think it is wise to be flexible as possible and whatever pain relief you may choose you will still enjoy the miracle of giving birth. I found breathing throught the contractions helped keep me focused and actually helped with the pain.

Good luck hun

To be fair, I think every birth is different, with it's own set of problems. For me, I was induced by an IV drip so from the get go, my birth was never going to be 'natural'. My OH's gran didn't even know she was in labour until half an hour from delivery! She said she had a slight backache! I'm hoping my next one will be like that!

You have the right attitude though Hun. Have a plan and be determined to stick to it..........but also be prepared that if you need it, extra help is there. At the end of the day as long as you're cradling your lil one safely in your arms, you'll be a happy mummy! :hug:

mrsT said:
I will stress that getting baby out safe and sound is more important than how you get through labour, but if you have ideas / beliefs about something, you go for it.

:cheer: You can do it! :cheer:

Definitely agree with you there MrsT. I can't say I enjoyed any of my labours. They were all bloody hard work, but the end results are the three most positive things ever to have happened to me. I'm proud I brought them into this world! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Eveadel said:
Hi krystalmair

I hope I havent upset you by post my comment regarding an epidural. Previous to me having an epidural I had got to 7cm without any pain relief at all. For me it was right. If you ever read my birth story you will know why my birthing experience to me was very special.

You will be fine and I just think it is wise to be flexible as possible and whatever pain relief you may choose you will still enjoy the miracle of giving birth. I found breathing throught the contractions helped keep me focused and actually helped with the pain.

Good luck hun

definately haven't upset me hun, I honestly like hearing everyones different views on this. Like I said I'm open minded and although quite determined for it to be au natural i'mfine if it turns out oo hard and I want the epidural! :hug: :hug:

Just thought I ought to post an apology.
Have just read through this thread again and realised that although unintentional, I have come across a bit rude.
In my eagerness to give someone advice, I have become a little self-righteous. It stems from a midwife telling me late on in my pregnancy that as a younger mum I wouldn't be able to cope without drugs so it was silly to put that on my birth plan. This maddened me and made me determined to do it - however this was well over a year ago so I shouldn't allow it to affect conversations in this forum (especially someone elses thread!!)

SO again, I apologise if I have come across a little strong - I only intended to give advice and seem to have gotten a little over excited :oops:

I'm still here if anyone needs any advice and will think before I type in futre :doh:

:lol: Ah bless you!
You're just passionate thats all........its a good thing :hug:

Mrs T don't be a lunatic!! :shakehead:

your advice was invaluable lady! Esp the socks, I still love the socks :rotfl:

everyone entitled to their own opinion and it's good your strong about your beliefs!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had an epidural. They are standard practice here in Hungary because there are no other forms of pain relief offered (i almost died when i was told no gas and air or even pethidine!)

It was crap lol. It didn't work because the tube moved. Then they re-sited it 20 mins before i had to push and it started to work but a little too well and I had no idea when to push!

krystalmair said:
Mrs T don't be a lunatic!! :shakehead:

your advice was invaluable lady! Esp the socks, I still love the socks :rotfl:

everyone entitled to their own opinion and it's good your strong about your beliefs!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Awww, thanks Krystal...
Yeah - gotta love the socks (I still have mine!!)

I had an epidural and on my birthplan I had stated there was no way that I would even consider one. This was due to a) my fear of it going wrong and me getting paralysed and b)my friends experiences of having epidurals resulting in assisted deliveries (forceps and ventouse). I had 18 hrs of labour and 5 and half hours ( :shock: ) of pushing before I was told I would have to have one as the drip I was going to be given to try and get baby out would make the pain really bad. The relief I felt was immense and I think in the future I would definately consider one. That said I did end up with a forceps delivery but that was because the baby was distressed due to my second stage being so long. My advice would be to have an open mind, it seems there is a pattern that when labour is dragging on for hours and hours sometimes an epidural gives you the break you need, it was the hardest thing I have ever gone through but as they say when you have your baby in your arms its so worth it and you would go through it 100 times more. Sorry its a bit rambling but I feel that some women get made to feel as if an epidural is 'copping out' of doing what nature intended but every labour is different and I think they are there as a pain relief option with good reason! Hope you have a quick and easy one! My sis in law popped both hers out in less than an hour. The lucky cow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back