To Mummys who choose not to have epidural

I was so adament I wouldn't have one and ended up having one.

The problem was Kai was back to back and it was just one long contraction in my back, it was terrible I had no relief whatsoever, so I gave in. But I had around 5 hours of bliss, just lieing down and watching tv and then the midwife checked and I was 10cm but I had no feeling at all so I couldn't push at all and all of this made it very complicated so in the end it took 4 and a half hours to go from 10cm to giving birth.

Next time I will make sure the baby isn't back to back.

I had 4 days of contractions.
I used the TENS machine and I did try the bath but didn't like it as I felt 'stuck' when a contraction hit (would have been fine in a pool!).

I had planned a homebirth but was rushed to hospital. I was 8cm by the time I arrived and fully dilated a few minutes later so there was no option of pain relief. I survived on gas and air for a forceps delivery, but I was breathing the gas and air constantly - i was trying to get out of it as i was scared!

I had been booked for an induction the next day and I said that IF i ended up in hopsital being induced then I would consider an epidural and after 4 days of on off contractions i would have had one!!

I think it's all about how you feel at the time :) xxxx

I wanted a natural birth with Isaac but ended with an epidural, spinal block and episiotimy/forceps birth, so I can certainly say your plan can change despite you hoping for certain things :hug: My waters broke and contractions started on the tuesday evening but he still hadn't arrived by the early hours of Saturday morning.

Personally I don't actually mind this time around what happens, in that I mean I am staying at home to give birth to my baby, but should that not happen I am happy to do whatever is needed, after giving my body and baby chance to arrive naturally.

Because I was so focussed on a natural, home birth, it affected my mental state after Isaac arrived and I'd had so much intervention and was in hospital. If anything I'd say have preferences in your plan, ask to be left as long as possible to go all natural, but know that regardless of how baby arrives, what intervention is taken, it was meant to be and you and baby will be fine and that is what matters :hug:

If I had to choose pethidine or epidural it would be difficult, because while I hated being immobile, pethidine effects you and your baby in a negative way if you react to it negatively, ie sickness etc whereas epidural doesn't effect baby at all and you are still with it.

Very best wishes, its a very good idea writing a plan, just know sometimes its plan B, C, D... :hug: :hug: :hug:

This thread's been really useful to read, thanks for all the info ladies :hug:

I didn't even think about a birth plan tbh with either of mine. I just winged it both times lol.

With Macaulay I had to have an emergency c-section so had to have a spinal block.

With Jordan I was induced and got to 10cm dialated without any pain releif at all, then had g&a for the last bit.

I would defo like to do the same if I ever get pg again - without the induction of course lol.

Hi Sharne, I had a water birth and when I got into hospital at 3pm I was 5cm dilated and up until then I had used the bath at home as pain relief. Upon entering the labour unit I asked for 2 paracetamols, went in the bath for a while longer and at some point went onto gas and air. At 8cm I was moved from the bath to the birth pool and did my last stint in there (with a new cannister of gas and air lol) and had Ryan at 830pm. I chose to have that sort of birth because of the natural-ness of it, if you know what I mean, and I would certainly recommend it to others. The pain was pretty bad but only at the end really, and I think I prefer this to not being able to feel contractions or feel what my body would naturally tell me to do... I felt the pain was at an ok level for the gas and air to take it away sufficiently and even if I was not able to have the water birth I wouldn't have requested any further pain relief. The thought of being on a drip or not being able to move etc would have done my head in after going through all that birth stuff... lol all I wanted to do was walk around afterwards for a bit, it was just achy.

Here's my really long birth story ... viewtopic.php?f=60&t=45109

Also, omg how quickly has your pregnancy gone.. :eek: not for you probably but gosh it's flown.

Hope you get the birth you want xxx

**whispers** have an epi :lol: :lol:

just dont rule anything out babes. I put in my birthplan - Waterbirth and DEFINATELY no epidural etc etc and I gave birth on dry land and loved my epi :rotfl:

Not all epi's will leave you immobile. I could walk with mine and definately could feel the pushing. It wears off after 45mins so you have to keep topping it up and they left it towards the end so I knew when I was fully dilated and ready push.

God I sound like a right epidural pusher :rotfl: :rotfl:

The pain was unbearable though, I was stuck on the bed being monitored because James had pooped - he was back to back and I had hours to go before he was ready to make an entrance so I chose to end my misery and have the epi. Id already done 12hours of killer contractions every 3mins. The decision to have one was right for me at the time :D I have a good pic of me 10mins after I got my epi - you wouldnt believe I was in labour as Im smiling my head off :lol:

I was adamant before hand that i definetly 100% did not want an epidural. I had read all sorts of things about them and the disadvantages that came with having one so i decided i didnt want it. However i would have given anything to have one when i was in labour!! I dont care what the disadvantages are, IF i ever decide to have another baby i will definetly be asking for one.
I had gas and air and pethadine. The gas and air helped, not sure if the pethadine did at all. I didnt find breathing exercises helped me at all as i couldnt focus on anything but the pain. I had tried all these breathing techniques beforehand and practised all sorts of visualization but it was all pointless for me.
I would say the only thing that got me through it was the gas and air :wall:

Last time i wrote in my birth plan that i was not having an epidural, but due to complications i did, i was bed ridden for 12 hours and i wasnt allowed to get up, i had to wee in a bed pan, i was in more agony with the pain in my back then the actual contractions. I honestly believe if its a normal labour to try and sail through it , my biggest regret was having an epidural i was so annoyed with myself but my complications led to this. Also an anthestist accidently pulled my epidural out of my back so it had to be done again! (ouch)
My son is two in September and i am in constant pain, when my power shower hits my back i have to turn the other way, i find having a bath eases it, This time im praying to go into spontaneous labour :pray: so i can try and manage it myself, NO WAY WILL I EVER HAVE AN EPIDURAL AGAIN!!

I was quite open minded when it came to pain relief, although I said I'd try and do it without an epi, I had one at 3cms :oops: the time was about 9am? Because I hadn't slept in 24 hours and been contracting for about 14 hours and just wanted to rest. However, it didn't work :evil: I had nothing until I was about 7cms then survived on G&A until she was born at 4:46pm. I was very annoyed because I had numb legs and all the side effects of the epi except the pain relief. Next time I will avoid it.

My birth plan said i didnt want an epi or pathadine but would be open to suggestions if the MW thought it wa best for me and my baby.

I never got a build up to the pain, one minute i was happily typing away on here, the next i was having contractions every minute that were very painful.

I had wanted to go in the birthing pool but the MW never offered it to me and i was in too much pain to be bothered wth asking (though i was aware of it), the gas and air was ok and i think if i'd had water i may have coped with that but on dry land i wasnt doing too well. I was quite emotional and thay offered me pethadine and after her assuring me i wouldnt be sick i took it.

I never FELT constricted during my labour, i'd lost the ability to walk through contractions before i'd left my house and i was very happy to kneel up on the bed. I simply couldnt have gone through labout on my back, when they examined me i was in agony as i had to lie down.

My labour was short, and i think in a way thats why i didnt need an epi (though i was begging for a c-section or epi when i first entered the hossi but i dont think id have actually taken them).

Like everyone has said there are times when an epi is the bes thing especially if its a long drawn out labour.

FWIW if i was writting another birth plan tomorow i'd write it the same, i'd still want water, and id still say no epi or pethadine (though again if i needed it id take it)

Thats again for the info girlies, only one way to find out what will happen on the big day lol!!

x

I had an epidural with my son and was quite adament that i'd have another one with Tamzin but I did it on gas and air and diamorphine and was in labour for nearly 10 hours!

Just wanted to say that not all hospitals offer Epidurals as pain relief. Mine doesn't so an epi just isn't an option here. Not that I mind, I don't like the idea of them in general.

What got me through the pain with Lucy (induced labour to 9cm then emergency c-section) was being able to be in a quiet, darkened room and just focus on the right now. I quickly realised that when people talked to me during contractions it made them worse so conversation was limited to just being the neccasary.
Also I found that there was a huge difference in pain levels between stadning up or laying down. I had to lay down a lot because they were checking baby's blood oxygen levels and it was double the pain compared to standing.

About half way through the labour I asked for pain relief but didn't have the concentration for the gas & air so MW suggested dia-morphine. It helped a lot and I'd have it again.

I'm fairly happy that I could do the same again and hopefully this time I'll be more mobile which does make such a huge difference. Would I be tempted to have an epi - no probably not but then again, never say never, there's no point in struggling on.

All in all I would ask the midwife for her recommendation for pain relief at the moment in time considering your circumstances and go with that advice.

I was petrified of having an epidural. I had strict instructions that I was not to have one in my birth plan.

I had an open mind about pethidine IF I needed it.

I wanted a water birth (didn't get a chance, was too quick once I got to the hosp). I also wanted to use G&A.

I managed the first few hours just breathing through the contractions, it helped so much. I was never taught how to, it just kinda came naturally.

After that I used my tens machine WOW this got me through the worst of it. Towards the end I had it on constant boost :rotfl: :rotfl: My tip - make sure you have some sticky tape stuff to stick the pads on, mine kept falling off and zapping the midwife. I wouldn't have minded ;) but it doesn't work so well when they fall off.

I would have had pethedine after they examined me, this was the point I felt I couldn't go on. However when they examined me I was fully dilated - this gave me the strength to go on.

They didn't take the G&A off me for pushing, but to be honest I didn't use it for the gas and air, I used it to bite on, really helped! Though my jaw felt the affects for a few days.

Pushing her out was easier for me than contractions.

I'm not gonna lie, its hard work, it is painful... BUT you can do it! I was so amazed with myself that I managed on just tens and gas and air. The pain stops as soon as they are born 8)

:hug: :hug:

I kept an open mind when I was writing my birth plan with Jacob and said that I would have what I needed at the time!

As it was when I went into hospital I was already 8cm dialated and had managed without anything at all at home so carried on as I had. I found that having a bath at home when I started to feel pain worked a treat and would defo recommend it. Re contractions, I found that it was easier to breathe through them and they are nothing compared to the pushing. Sorry, but I thought the pushing was horrendous and wished someone had warned me about it beforehand!!!

I plan on keeping an open mind this time round too, but if I am honest I would rather not have an epidural unless I really really needed too.

Xxx

I wrote in my birth plan (that I actually forgot to take with me! :doh: ) that I wanted Gas & Air and pethidine as pain relief with an option for an epidural but only as a last resort. 6 hours in and I ended up crying while asking for it because I felt like a failure for going back on what I said to myself. Don't rule it out, keep it as an option. :D

My mum's words got me through the pain "The pain is there for a reason. Don't fight it, work with it." I kept this in mind all through my labour which was quite quick- 6hrs 50mins and relaxed as much as I could during contractions and breathed through them. I was 10cm and pushing before I was taken up to the delivery suite and was then given G & A. Being told how to use the G & A properly (by my sister) helped it to be very efficient which means no other pain relief was necessary. My sister's advice- the second you start to suspect a contraction is coming start taking long deep breaths of the G & A. By the time the contraction peaks you will have lots of the entinox in your system and you will not feel the full force of the contraction. Lots of people make the mistake of waiting until the contraction has fully started before taking G & A so they hit the peak of the contraction before G & A takes effect.

I think it's important not to say 'NEVER' to any form of pain relief. I was open to anything as I had no idea how I would cope with the pain. If you say never to something you then feel you need you could become anxious and tense and increase the chance of prolonging labour and increase the chances of you needing intervention. Keep an open mind- like Midna said- if labour goes on for 28...36...55hours (poor Kalia!) you may be prepared to try anything to help get your baby out!

Good luck :hug:

Hi hun :wave:

I was hoping to stay mobile during my labour but unfortunately ended up on a drip and monitors so I was stuck on the bed. I used my tens machine which helped with the back pain, and just kept thinking 'that's one less contraction I have to go through', then 3 hours before I delivered I had a shot of diamorphene which zonked me out lol. I found the whole labour and delivery really easy and I put it down to the diamorphene, eveyone else I've spoken to who had diamorphene found it easy too. But if you want stay mobile I don't think diamorphene is the way to go as I was half asleep for the last 3 hours lol, but if things don't go according to plan and you end up having to stay on the bed I'd defo reccomend diamorphene.

Im glad i didnt have one...

I suffered terribly with back and rib pain during pregnancy and i heard that sometimes there can be a risk of having it long term after having an epidural

I also dont like the thought of not being in control of my own body, legs or whatever

I dont think i would have it next time but then... i dont know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back