For those who had an epidural!

I had an epidural and loved it! Went from agony to bliss in what felt like seconds! I had diamorphine and will never touch that stuff again! I was off my face and then violently sick and it doesn't help the pain just makes you not care. It also made the baby go to sleep and they couldn't wake him up to help me out! Never again!

Thanks ladies!! :D
Yeh I definitely am not wanting diamorphine or pethedine again! So it will be gas & air or an epi lol!
Thanks for sharing all your experiences with me, good or bad! Its really helping weigh things up for me!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Im a thumbs up for epidural. I got to 7cm without any pain relief and then went straight for epidural (long story but I was under consultant and due to have a elective caesarian as I was extremely petrified of giving birth), anyway gave birth vaginally and all I can say was my birth was a really enjoyable experience.

Im def having an epi next time :D

I had one with my first, but didn't have time for one with my second or third.

With my first I was in labour for 24 hours and hadn't slept etc so the relief of an epi was great and gave me and OH a chance to rest.

With my other 2 I asked for one both times but baby came faster than expected so didn't need one in the end.
I think they are great if you need to rest or are finding it hard to cope etc, it's an amazing effect to have no pain, my OH thought my labour had stopped.

Thankyou ladies!! :D
I just did a tally and 9 for's and 9 againsts lol!
Quite interesting! :D

Just to tip the scales!...I'm for.

Was induced with both babies due to waters breaking and not going into labour. First at 33 weeks, second at 40 weeks. Both times the epi was wonderful, but that's with an enduced labour and the second was back to back...and an 11lb 2.5oz baby! Who could manage that with no pain relief??? (ended in emergency c-section)

Regardless of my undisputed need for epi, I didn't suffer any side effects, thank God. I'm surprised so many here have. I didn't think it was that common. What an unlucky bunch. :hug:

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
11lbs 2.5oz ??

Yeah i was given the drip with my first as labour was just progressing far to slow! Im dreading them giving me that again! lol
It was like crazy, intense pains and still no improvement hahaha I should have had an epi then really but I "thought" pethedine would be best??
Silly me :roll: lol

My mum says i'm not allowed to have one!! But I don't reckon I want one anyway

TeenAsmaTeam said:
My mum says i'm not allowed to have one!! But I don't reckon I want one anyway

:wink: Your mum won't be having the baby! My mum wouldn't DARE tell me I can't have an epidural! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Why is your mam saying you cant have one?? :shock:

i reckon shes scared it will kill me or sumthing lol and shes a worrier

Aww! What is she like!! hee hee
As Jade said though, its you having the baba lol!

TeenAsmaTeam said:
i reckon shes scared it will kill me or sumthing lol and shes a worrier

My mum is a worrier too and doesn't want me to have Epi because recovery is quicker without it but I've told her that if I want one I am having one! She is a guest at my labour and I WILL chuck her out if she starts to interfere! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My mum told me to have one! She said take anything they can give you cos noone will thank you for trying to be a hero!!!

Someone once said to me, would you have a filling without the anestheatic? No, then why do we try to do childbirth without it?!!! :rotfl:

LOL
I just dont wanna have it, i'm prone 2 accidents so i'd probably end up mashing myself up, and my mum had 8 without it so if she can do it, i reckon I can too!

I am allergic to Pethidine and morphine, codine etc ect.... and i am a real woss! i have the lowest pain thresh-hold ever... i'm pretty sure gas and air would not do it for me!!!! i cant imagen how i am going to cope with giving birth, i scares me soooooo much! i think i am defo gonna try and have a mobile epidural!

I had planned not to have one if possible but going on the syntocinon drip to be induced threw that right out the window - I absolutely couldn't cope with the pain. They kept trying to persuade me out of it - I'm sure if I'd had it earlier when I DIDNT have to be held down then I wouldn't have had a problem.

My epidural was a disaster and I certainly don't sell them. 4 holes in my back and an hour later I was told they were giving up because the anaesthesiologist couldn't find the epidural space. The next 2 days were spent lying flat on my back with a spinal headache (never felt a headache like it in my life) - the consultant says this happens in 1-2% of cases. I had an epidural blood patch done and was up and about a few hours later. I was one of those folk who thought it could never happen to them!

It's not an experience I'd like to repeat. Here's a picture of my back - 4 holes from the failed epidural and 2 from the procedure that fixed me. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/daf ... booboo.jpg

YUK!!
Oh gosh I bet that will happen to me!! Im one of them people that if it can happen, it will!! hee hee
I have to have something lol, Im stressed already! I have a strange but serious phobia of labour now? It scares me lol Im going to have to just stay pregnant!! :D

i did ask for an epi this labour with Harriet but they put it in my back in 4 different sites but none of them worked :shock: but im glad it failed as i managed with no pain releief for the pushing part and i really enjoyed feeling every bit.

I had a 27 hr labour and had an epi when I was 4 cm as I will exhuasted and in agony...unfortunately it didn't work and I went on for another 12 hours or so up to 8cm with no pain relief (which hurt like hell!), finally they resitted my epi (I had a mobile epi) at 8cm and it kicked in after 10mins and the pain relief was instant :D It's just a shame I had to go all those hours in pain! I needed it as it still took a good few more hours for me to get to 10cm! Finally pushed her out with the help of a ventouse (as she turned her head). Although I had a bad experience with the first epi, I would opt to have one fore baby no. 2 as the labour pains were horrendous for all those hours and I was totally exausted and delirious after hours and hours of pain! I didn't have any back pain or soreness from either of my epi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back