Derren brown - faith healing

Alice that's sad about your sisters friend, is she young?
Helen, it upsets me too, but nothing like it did before and I know my limits Iykwim. If I'd watched that even a year ago I'd probably be a mess for days which I why I usually avoid anything like this on tv.
Flugel, sounds like you've had a difficult experience! :hugs: I too have been 'slain in the spirit' etc I was telling my best friend yesterday that when I was 8 I was made to pray for all the children in the 'church' up at the front, had to lay my hands on them and some of them fell down. I don't believe in stuff like that now obviously but that was a huge pressure for an 8 year old. I could be here all night telling you stories about people casting out demons and coughing into buckets :shudders:
Do you go to church now? I went back to church a few times since I left the cult 16 years ago but I just can't get properly involved which is sad that I've been put off so badly. I don't know what I believe and I'll never say never, but I can't imagine ever being heavily involved in a church now.

Shes 17, shes from a really religious family, but when she went to college she got in with a really religious group and goes off to all the camps and that, where she saw the faith healer! Part of me hopes it's just a teenage phase, as awful as it sounds!

Shes 17, shes from a really religious family, but when she went to college she got in with a really religious group and goes off to all the camps and that, where she saw the faith healer! Part of me hopes it's just a teenage phase, as awful as it sounds!

Yeah I hope it is just a phase hun!

I don't go to church anymore, I don't know what I believe tbh! My mums sister and her husband are salvation army officers down in Ayr, sometimes I'll go down and help them out. Sometimes I help my Gran out at the her church, but I don't go regularly :( I just feel if I was to stand there and sing the songs it would be kinda blasphemous cause I have no idea if I actually mean or believe what I'm singing!

I don't go to church anymore, I don't know what I believe tbh! My mums sister and her husband are salvation army officers down in Ayr, sometimes I'll go down and help them out. Sometimes I help my Gran out at the her church, but I don't go regularly :( I just feel if I was to stand there and sing the songs it would be kinda blasphemous cause I have no idea if I actually mean or believe what I'm singing!

I feel exactly the same hun, I just feel like a hypocrite because tbh I'm really not sure what I believe either

Hope you're ok

x

Hope you're both ok x x

This is exactly why I get so upset (and did end up crying) about these people/places! If I ever wanted to leave my church they'd let me. They wouldn't condemn me because they know that's not their right, no one can judge us except God and only He can decide what happens. :(

I'm ok 90% of the time yeah, but it does really bother you!
I believe there is a god, whether or not he is the god the church believe in...I don't know..

I honestly think that faith should be based on love and compassion, and that to believe in Jesus you have to really understand and be thankful for what he did.
I don't think the church (not all churches, but a lot of them) focus in on the most important aspects of christianity...It's all pomp and lies and airs of superiority..they bend what the Scriptures say to suit their own wants and needs and wills.

I really struggled when i left because it had been pretty much my life! All my friends, i had been bullied in school for going to church and being a "bible basher"..Ended up in a and e twice with broken ribs. I ended up really depressed, and only just starting to get over it now.

I do believe this wee baby is a gift from God, a new beginning for me and my OH. I just have a problem with the way the "church" run things!

When baby is born I plan on bringing my child up to have an open mind, I'll read bible bed time stories, answer any questions and guide them to make their own decision - I want them to know of God, but for them to be able to discover him for themselves..If that makes sense? This is why I won't be having a Christening, but may have a dedication (where friends and familky promise to take care of baby in whatever way possible, and you say thankyou to God for the gift of a baby)

A church like yours sounds great Helen! It seems you have lot of support and understanding friends, i really wish mine had been like that!

Hope you're okay Pinky...Sounds like you've had a horrid time of it too x :hug: xx

My church is amazing! We follow the gospel and they're all about exactly what you said-loving Jesus and understanding what He did! We celebrate Easter as a major major thing as without His death and resurrection He would have just been another teacher. We have no idols, no pictures, no crucifix (it's an empty cross because we believe Jesus is alive!) and when i struggle to understand something I know I can go to our vicar and he won't judge me. He welcomed us with open arms when we first joined and he will come round to sort things out (in a good way ;)) x when we were having problems with OH's ex in laws the vicar came round to see if we were alright, prayed with us for them and encouraged us to pray for them in a positive way. I've never once felt judged or uncomfortable. Our vicar is a regular guy and we have a great laugh with him! I really really wish everyone could have a church like ours. We're poor, far from perfect but we're family :)

Oh and I decided to let DD choose her own path, didn't get her christened etc but she lead us to church! We were amazed and so is everyone we tell! :D She was truly a gift from God! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back