Can the hospital MAKE your OH leave??

Froslass

Reaction score
Just off the back of a few threads I've seen recently...

I was wondering, in the instance of my labour not progressing fast enough, or if I'm being induced..can the hospital make my OH leave?

I hate hospitals, and I'm a bit concerned.

I've chosen to go to the community led midwife unit, which allows my OH to be there at all times, and even has a bed in the room for him to sleep in in case things aren't moving..

But my worst nightmare is having to go to the big hospital a 80 minute drive away to be induced...and being left on the ward myself overnight and OH being told to go home.

I honestly think I would start shouting and screaming if it came to it :shock:

I just totally refuse to be left on my own :(

What if something happens and OH can't get back in time?

I understand this sounds totally childish and silly but the thought makesme want to cry and i feel very panicky.

ONe of my friends recently had to be induced...she had the pessary in, and also gel. She was contracting regulalry, but cervix wasn;t dilated enough to brake her waters..

She ended up on the ward, on her own, in pain- they wouldnt let her OH be with her, they wouldn't let her go home to labour because she'd had the gel/pessary, and they wouldn't move her to labour ward because apparently she wasn't in established labour...

Her baby wasn't born until the next night, and they made her OH leave shortly after.

Can they physically kick him out if i refuse to be without him?!x

This worries me sooo much too!!! Hope someone has some answers. xxx

Oh this worries me too, I'm planning a home birth but if I end up being induced I'd be like you too, hate hospitals. Think I'd refuse induction, baby will come on it's own at some point!

If you are in established labour, ie more than 4 cm, you are in a delivery room and there are no restrictions as to your oh being there. However, if you are on a ward they are normally sent home at around 8pm. If you have tour baby at night you normally get a few hours in room you delivered in but as soon as you get transferred to postnatal ward then there are visiting hours, and if it's the middle of the night your oh will have to go home. Can you imagine the noise otherwise? Xx

I'm not the sort of person who would ever create a scene, but no one is sending my husband home!!

Can't remember who but someone posted from here and said they sent her husband home an hour after the birth!!! I would kick off.

yes unless your on delivery ward and if it goes late past visiting and your no where near being established they can send him home because the other ladies need rest and tryin to do that while its visiting is impossible

yeah my OH was sent home at 8.30 when i was induced and i was on my own untill 9 the next morning when he was allowed back, its not a very nice experience being left on your own contrating all night. OH was also sent home an hour after the birth as it was a c-section at night and he couldn't come back to the ward with me afterwards. x

Yes they can. If you are laboring on the ward until you get to delivery suite. My oh was allowed to stay on the ward with me for a couple of hours after too as I was lucky enough to deliver at visiting time x

yeah my OH was sent home at 8.30 when i was induced and i was on my own untill 9 the next morning when he was allowed back, its not a very nice experience being left on your own contrating all night. OH was also sent home an hour after the birth as it was a c-section at night and he couldn't come back to the ward with me afterwards. x

Yeah, that's what happens, it's kinda like visiting hours rules unless in delivery suite x

well from my experience , yes they can and they do , I was 2 cms and it was late so they left me on a antenatal care ward with other ladies and sent him home . To be fair although I did cry I now think it was reasonable if there had be strange men on the ward while I was trying to sleep and having regular internals I would not have been happy , hopefully this wont happen to you x

this really worries me aswell. i worry that i might be induced they send him home and then it progresses really quickly and he misses it.

im also worried about being too far away from him in general for the same reason. my parents live half hour away so would go to there hospital if anything was to happen whilst there but cant exactly just cross my legs to keep him in until oh gets there.xxx

I'm terrified of this! In case of induction and after the birth... I'd be a wreck if I was left on my own! It's one of teh reasons I'm planning a home birth x

When I was induced I was put in my own room in the labour suite, where the doctors were present, OH got to stay, birth was at 10.30 and OH got to stay for just under an hour, then I got transferred to a ward and he had to leave, was nearly 12 hours w/out him.

This is one of the main reasons that I am planning a home birth. Labour always progresses better if you're relaxed and I don't think you can be when you're in an unfamiliar place and left on your own without the support of a loved one (everyone seems to understand this with animals like cats and dogs etc. but for some reason don't think that it also applies to humans).

In theory, the NHS recommended practice is to never leave a woman in labour by herself (because it creates stress) but in reality due to busy wards/lack of midwifes this is a common occurrence. What a shame.

I went for my antenatal class today and apparently our hospital aims to get you home within 2 to 6 hours of a non complicated birth!!?? I was like wow! I dread being left on my own in hospital so my aim is to try get through on gas and air only ( she says lol) and aim so that other half is there from start to going home!! Things never go to bloody plan though do they xx

hey,
In my experience they do get sent home, my chap had to leave at 8pm on the Thurs eve, only for me to ring him at 11pm to come back in as i was 6cm and being transfered to delivery suit. Then i had LO at 5.20am on fri morn, he had to leave at around 8am. Then came back at 10am when visiting for partners/husbands start. xxxxxxx

I was lucky, I had my own room on delivery from the minute I walked in (they didn't have wards). OH was able to stay thought and until AJ was 5hrs old (5am) which was when I was transferred to postnatal.

I will be going to a different hospital next time and know they have wards so will be discussing this with MW due to traumatic birth with AJ I dont want OH leaving me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back