room sharing when in hospital?

winnie89

Reaction score
hi girls I've just got off the phone to my mum and she works at the hospital where i'm going to have harry, she told me about the lack of beds at my local hospital, she was telling me how they were turning women down who were in established labour and how they had to shut the labour ward off because they had too many women, and then the women that were already in recovery and waiting to be discharged had to share rooms!?!?!

i don't mind being on a ward with lots of other women but just having you and someone else who's just gone through the same thing i bet is well freaky, i went on a tour of the maternity unit at my hospital and all the private rooms aren't that big and once you accomodate visitors there isn't room for any one else- majority of rooms have an en suite so i wouldn't like to know there is someone in my room while i'm having a shower and stuff?

does any other hospital do this, and would you consent to sharing your room???

Last edited:
I know that it's common place for maternity units to "close" when they are full.
I've only ever been to a hospital where there are about 4 private rooms and most are on a ward so I don't know about sharing xx

how are you cosmic seems like we havent spoke in ages??? xx

I'm good thanks hun. I'm just so so tired, can barely keep my eyes open!! xx

Same as cosmicgirl...there were only literally 3 or 4 pricate room available at a charge of about 160 a night!!! other than that as standard you are put on the ward a few hours after having baby!!
x

I was put on a 6 bed ward. Private room costs...wait for it....£850

sent from my Galaxy s2

I had a private room last time as the twins were in incubators next to the bed and we couldn't fit.
I can honestly say that it was the most lonely and depressing time of my life. I asked so many times to go back to the ward but there just wasn't room. It was horrible :( xx

Thsi may sound like a silly question but when your in labour do you get taken somewhere where its just you mw and birthing partners?x

I'm good thanks hun. I'm just so so tired, can barely keep my eyes open!! xx

yeah i know that feeling, i'm the same atm all i do is sleep wee and eat! lol

my SIL had a room to herself, it's called a LDR room (labour, delivery and recovery room) and if you were staying in longer than a few hours (i.e after a cesarean) you were taken to a ward but my mom told me there were women sharing these rooms because there was a shortage of beds as far as i know these rooms are on the NHS and dont cost anything.

Thsi may sound like a silly question but when your in labour do you get taken somewhere where its just you mw and birthing partners?x

When your in labour you will have your own room it's just once baby is born you get taken to a ward x

At the hospital I went to with LO they had to use the once bookable private rooms as delivery suites because of another hospital closing so no one was able to have a private room!

Not sure about the hospital I'm going to with this baby though?

I had a private room last time as the twins were in incubators next to the bed and we couldn't fit.
I can honestly say that it was the most lonely and depressing time of my life. I asked so many times to go back to the ward but there just wasn't room. It was horrible :( xx

I totally agree with Cosmic!! I have had 4 babies, and shared wards with loads of other ladies each time till the last one , last year, and to save the other ladys being kept up with the uv lights from the phottheraphy that Devon had, I had a side room, It had no opening windows, you didn't even have a shared room for breakie where you went , it arrived to the bed, so you had nowhere to go and chat!! I was climbing the walls , and did alot of crying on day 3 when milk and hormones were all over the place, horrible.

When you share you will have curtains and so you can have your private time when you want but also you can bounce of each other, and when you need to shower, you can watch each others babies etc once you you feel ok with one another more.:lol: Who knows you may have a freind for life and for you LO's born close together X

£850 for a private room!!! Crazy!! If they have any spare at our hospital you can opt to move to one but they are only about £50 a night I think. And if they don't have a spare one you don't get a choice!

Over here, well in my hospital anyway, everyone has there own room...which I actually loved! No sharing bathrooms/ toilets with anyone, plenty of room for visitors, no arguing over tv/ radio channels and nobody to wake your baby or you up during the night..so you have more chance of sleeping. You can choose whether to have meals in the dining area or in your room, have access to a kitchen, with biscuits, bread, sandwich fillings, yogurts and fruit to pick at as and when you want them in between meals and there's a lounge area with a tv and magazines/papers. You also have a phone.
And the best bit, it's FREE!! God bless the NZ health service. :)

Over here, well in my hospital anyway, everyone has there own room...which I actually loved! No sharing bathrooms/ toilets with anyone, plenty of room for visitors, no arguing over tv/ radio channels and nobody to wake your baby or you up during the night..so you have more chance of sleeping. You can choose whether to have meals in the dining area or in your room, have access to a kitchen, with biscuits, bread, sandwich fillings, yogurts and fruit to pick at as and when you want them in between meals and there's a lounge area with a tv and magazines/papers. You also have a phone.

Wow!! You starve over here on the NHS, because of cooked lunch when you want a sarnie, tea (when your hungry and have to be up all night) is a two slice of bread sarnie, a dodgy creme brulee and a bit of fruit for later if your lucky!! Oh and tea is a paid extra , so I never bothered

I'm moving to NZ!:lol:

Last edited:
hi girls I've just got off the phone to my mum and she works at the hospital where i'm going to have harry, she told me about the lack of beds at my local hospital, she was telling me how they were turning women down who were in established labour and how they had to shut the labour ward off because they had too many women, and then the women that were already in recovery and waiting to be discharged had to share rooms!?!?!

i don't mind being on a ward with lots of other women but just having you and someone else who's just gone through the same thing i bet is well freaky, i went on a tour of the maternity unit at my hospital and all the private rooms aren't that big and once you accomodate visitors there isn't room for any one else- majority of rooms have an en suite so i wouldn't like to know there is someone in my room while i'm having a shower and stuff?

can i ask what hospital ur planning on giving birth in as ur not to far away from me, and i think the problem we have over here is that they shut sandwell maternity unit which is causing problems for all the other hospitals!! a friend of mine recently had hers at russells hall and she said it was manic in there and she would prefer not to go there next time, as people were everywere and she took ages to be discharged as the doctors were really busy elsewere :) x

im going to the manor, and they have always been really good on how many they allow in etc as they dont like overcrowding women and babies in :) x

Wow!! You starve over here on the NHS, because of cooked lunch when you want a sarnie, tea (when your hungry and have to be up all night) is a two slice of bread sarnie, a dodgy creme brulee and a bit of fruit for later if your lucky!! Oh and tea is a paid extra , so I never bothered

I'm moving to NZ!:lol:

OMG!!! That is disgraceful!!! I'm sure people get taken better care of in prison!! Every night when I was up feeding Chloe, there was a knock on my door and one of the midwives would pop her head in to ask if I'd like a sandwich, toast or hot drink etc..... And it didn't matter what time of night it was or how often..... Any time they saw your room light come on they'd pop in and check. And because I was in during Christmas week (was discharged on Christmas Eve afternoon), the midwifes, were constantly going round offering chocolates and cakes etc..round that they'd been given.
But seriously, I can't believe things could be so awful over there...maybe you were just unlucky with your hospital:shock:

Erm nope JJs mum wasnt unlucky lol that just seems to be the standard I think lol

JJ's mum...were you at Wexham? x

i never had a problem at the hosp i went both times in fact was quite good!!

tea n toast after the birth, breakfast was a choice of cereals, followed by toast.. choice of hot and cold food, with pudding and fruit for dinner and tea, sandwiches for supper if u want them there was a room up the corridor were you could get tea n coffee when ever you wanted, just muxt be that different hospitals have diff standards with their new mothers all though i can safely say that my hosp is al good :) xx

Wow I must have been really lucky at my hospital reading through these posts! Firstly I preferred having my own private room where DH could stay with me and Sebastian, especially since I lost 600ml of blood about an hour after giving birth and loosing that on a ward would have been awful IMHO. Then the midwives were always popping in to ask if we wanted toast/sandwiches/drinks etc we had a lovely choice of meals as well! We were very well looked after :)

can i ask what hospital ur planning on giving birth in as ur not to far away from me, and i think the problem we have over here is that they shut sandwell maternity unit which is causing problems for all the other hospitals!! a friend of mine recently had hers at russells hall and she said it was manic in there and she would prefer not to go there next time, as people were everywere and she took ages to be discharged as the doctors were really busy elsewere :) x

im going to the manor, and they have always been really good on how many they allow in etc as they dont like overcrowding women and babies in :) x

i have two choices for hospitals in my area it's russells hall or birmingham women and childrens, so we went with RHH because it's closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back