How does it work with a hospital birth?

rachaellouise

Reaction score
What happens?
So you turn up at the hospital in labour then what happens? Do you go to the labour ward where other are or are you then put in to the private room?

Depends on how dilated you are, in my general hospital you go to a room on labour ward to be examined and down to delivery suite to your own room if you are in established labour xxx

Yeah at our hosp there is a curtained ward for people that don't want to go home if they are too early on. Then there are delivery rooms, that you have baby in, then you go tithe postnatal ward after a clean up and it's curtained. There's a canteen you're encouraged to use. Your not actually allowed to carry your baby anywhere. You have to push them around in their plastic cots as trip hazards :) it's not too bad I don't think, at least you have midwives an not necessarily doctors. They are lovely at our hospital! Make you feel right at home (I was on delivery ward at 20 weeks for a day) x

When does the pain actually start? When you are in active labour or before?

In my experience it starts as heavy period pain but you actually start to actively dilate once the painful and regular contractions start. Some people have some irregular contractions for hours or days before they enter what they call established labour. My midwife told me that if you can continue to speak then it isn't a dilating contraction. A dilating contraction will stop you in your tracks, I found this to be true xxxx

So when the pain really starts thats when you go down to the delivery room?

Most people IMO tend to stay at home until the pain kicks in. You call labour ward, they ask you how painful the contractions are and how far apart and they either say come in or wait at home until they are more regular. Then when you go to the hospital, if the pain has grown in intensity and is regular you will be dilating and then straight to delivery suite. The key is to listen to your body, this is what it is designed for! Don't go to the hospital too early, they will more than likely send you home xxx

Thankyou Cosmic!! That helps me relax slightly, i just really do not want to go to a labour ward!
At least at home I can be in my bath until I have to go to hospital then either continue in a bath until ready to push or be in the birthing pool .

Thankyou Cosmic!! That helps me relax slightly, i just really do not want to go to a labour ward!
At least at home I can be in my bath until I have to go to hospital then either continue in a bath until ready to push or be in the birthing pool .

Definately do that! Have a lovely bath (not too hot!), light some candles, put some nice music on to take your mind into a lovely relaxing place. When you feel like the pain is regular and maybe getting a bit harder to handle ie you'd like something like gas and air - go then to the hospital. Then you'll go into your own room and get in your pool. Please don't worry, of course it's painful but you can handle it and it's sooo exciting. Be safe in the knowledge that if you feel like the contractions are getting too much for you, you have lots of options to dull them down or get rid of them completely xxxx

I plan on staying at home until I really can't bare it any more (whether this happens is another story as I've not done this before) and then not have to spend too long in hospital, preferably to push my baby out then be on postnatal! I know it probably won't happen like this but I like to think it will. Lol. Rachel honey you should do hypnobirthing classes, I thinkthe anxieties about being in hospital will be greatly eased if you practise this, and why not try for a home birth? Nice and relaxed, midwife at the house, music, calm environment, hey presto! You dont need to worry (I know easier said than done when you've got a phobia) there is so much help and support and you can pretty much choose anything you like for pain relief. I hope you find level ground with it. It's such a scary thing isn't it, especially not doing it before, but that's what us women are made to do and are more than capable. You never know you may love the whole experience! Many do! Xxxx

Try not to worry too much I know its easy to say but honestly by the time your due date comes around you will be so pleased to feel the contractions you will forget how scared you were as you will be that fed up been pregnant lol! Plus just think its a few hours and at the end you get to meet your beautifull baby and you will forget all about what you went through to get there. It is painfull but its not as bad as you will be thinking and you will suprise yourself how well you do cope but agree with the ladies try stay home as long as you can where you are relaxed as theres nothing worse than getting there and been sent home again coz your not 3cm dilated the worst thing for me was the journey to the hospital sitting in the car. Im having a home birth this time and quite looking forward to it been able to do as I please at home and not have to go anywhere maybe speak to your midwife about it.

I would like to have a home birth but I dont think I am brave enough with it being my first plus we dont have a large flat and have two beautiful house bunnies who I honestly do not think could cope with seeing their Mummy in that much pain! They are sensitive little souls!!
I am just trying to think about this from a rational point of view, am I being selfish even thinking about this birthing centre as it is almost 30 mins away and there are no doctors ther so in an emergency you are transfered to a hospital which takes 25 mins to get to, am I putting myself before my baby?
The hospital is 10 mins away and has all the things we could need on site but all I can think about is my phobia :(

You do whatever it is you feel most comfortable hun if its the birthing centre then do that it isnt selfish at all the more relaxed you are the more likely your labour will go smoothly so if its what you want then go with the birthing centre. Go see you doctor about the phobia hun im sure theres lots of help out there for it but honestly if it was that bad ppl would only ever have one child lol im on my third and looking forward to it you fear of it will be worse than the actual event I promise you xxx

For me what happened was I went into slow labour . I went to hospital on the Saturday night and was admited to an anti--natal ward(basically a ward with 5 other women) I asked to go home the next day as I was only 2 cms . Relaxed at home in the bath and laboured there I went back monday morning and had my daughter Wednesday night .

I am scared of hospitals too and doctors. We will be fine though hun! Try not to worry and as above try some classes? xx

We are going to go and view the birthing centre tomorrow and go from there, if we like it we will book in to see the midwives there and see if I would be eligable for the birthing centre.
If I am then GREAT!! and we will book in there! If not then I guess I have no choice but to go to the hospital! :(

I had a really good experience at Maternity Unit... by the time i went to hospital i didnt go to labour ward just went stright to delivery as was 10cm, which was great :).. then i was put in my own room, (prob so i didnt have to stay with all the new mums and there babies while mine was in special care) i am going to have this baby at the hospital aswell.. I would just rather know i have everyone around that would be needed in case anything didnt go to plan. x

Does anyone know how soon you have to get to hosp if u want an epidural? I've heard of people being too late?!!!x

Dont know sorry Vixczy, I am not even looking in tot he epidural as I do not want one!

We have decided to got o the hospital afterall, we feel that would be the safest option due to the hospital being 25 mins away from the birthing centre, hubby feels that is taking too much of a risk.

Does anyone know how soon you have to get to hosp if u want an epidural? I've heard of people being too late?!!!x
I think as long as your not more than 5 cms dilated ? But defo check with your hospital

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back