Bottle Feeding Support Thread

I am so glad that i have seen this thread.
I feel like a total beginner all over again.
I'm a little upset that i have had to stop the breastfeeding and spent a day or two feeling like a total failure, as i promised myself i would stick it out and not give in, but i simply cannot keep up with my little monster, the midwife made me feel like shit for swapping form breast to bottle which made me even worse. But i know that i now feel 100% better and happier and daddy bear is loving joining in with the feeding.

Hear are my questions
Benjamin is a VERY hungary baby, he doesn't seem content after a feed and always wanting more, i havent seen my HV yet so i guess this is why im asking you guys. He is having 3oz every 2-3 hours, do you think its ok for me to up it to 4oz and try him or is he having to much already???

Tonight he has had a 3oz bottle at 9pm and then had to have 2oz top up to stop him from being unsettled.
I'm feeding him on demand so when he screams he gets it!!!

We have also had to start using infacol, he simply won't part with any wind at all and its making him upset and he has lots of wind during the night, so im constantly getting up and checking on him all night.

any suggestions on how to satisfy him? im still trying to figure out his routine and things so i feel completely helpless.

he he...it feels like the guilt has been lifted too, as she's doing so much better...actually looking forward to the HV visit for the first time

MissSara said:
Hear are my questions
Benjamin is a VERY hungary baby, he doesn't seem content after a feed and always wanting more, i havent seen my HV yet so i guess this is why im asking you guys. He is having 3oz every 2-3 hours, do you think its ok for me to up it to 4oz and try him or is he having to much already???

Tonight he has had a 3oz bottle at 9pm and then had to have 2oz top up to stop him from being unsettled.

We have also had to start using infacol, he simply won't part with any wind at all and its making him upset and he has lots of wind during the night, so im constantly getting up and checking on him all night.

any suggestions on how to satisfy him? im still trying to figure out his routine and things so i feel completely helpless.

:hug: Don't beat your self up.

Once Benjamin is draining his bottles up them an oz. Forget about the guidelines on the tin- vie has never followed them!

If he has colic be careful you are not overfeeding him IYKWIM. I used a dummy to comfort Evie but that is personal choice. It definately helped setlle her with the colic.

Give the Infacol a good few days to have an effect- I started using it about week 5 and it had an effect from about week 6. I also burped every oz/2ozs as Evie would drain a whole bottle without burping if she had a chance! :roll:
xx

Thanks for the advice.
As from today i have upped his bottle another ounce and now giving him boiled water when he is wanting another feed after just 2 hours ( this seems to be working and making him go 3-4hours)
He does have a dummy and that is helping aswell.

Hopefully we have a better more settled night tonight.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
MissSara if that doesn't work then consider a different milk or a comfort milk, they are a bit easier on the tummy. They also di thicker 'hungry baby' milk. But i'd just make the bottles up bigger, give him what he wants when he wants and it'll be fine :)

Isla's just been weighed put on 7oz in 7 days!! yippeeee so happy shes finally exceeded her birth weight by 6.5 oz! cant wait for HV in two weeks so will be off to the baby clinic on tues!

MissSara said:
Hear are my questions

My rule with my 3 was in they completely drained 3-4 bottles then I upped it one ounce!
He may just need a little bit more!
I hope infacol works for him! :hug: It made my 3 worse! I used gripe water when they were old enough and worked fab with them!

Yeah we upped his bottles and that seemed to do the trick, now he's draining 4oz..........lol.
I have myself a greedy little boy!

:wave: I've got a question... When did you start bottle feeding? Straight after birth or a few days after, a week after...? x

I breastfed for about 2 weeks then a week of EBM then formula by 4 weeks :hug:

I BF for 3/4 weeks then combined for 2 then formula from 6 weeks ish.

Thank you girls! x I am just so confused and worried, I don't know what to do. I want to bottle feed. Don't if and how long for I should breastfeed (that's if I could)...

People think I'm a strange and bad mum because I'm not going to BF :cry: x

Jen&James said:
I BF for 3/4 weeks then combined for 2 then formula from 6 weeks ish.

ditto

but don't ever feel bad about your choice, formula is not poison and babies do really well on it. You shouldn't have to justify yourself, you have a right to choose :hug: :hug:

MissSara said:
I am so glad that i have seen this thread.
I feel like a total beginner all over again.
I'm a little upset that i have had to stop the breastfeeding and spent a day or two feeling like a total failure, as i promised myself i would stick it out and not give in, but i simply cannot keep up with my little monster, the midwife made me feel like sh*t for swapping form breast to bottle which made me even worse. But i know that i now feel 100% better and happier and daddy bear is loving joining in with the feeding.

Hear are my questions

Hey MissSara

We started giving Dexter 4oz by 10 days ish as he was draining the 3oz bottles....now he takes 3 or 4 depending - if he takes 3 he'll go 3 hours, if he takes 4 he'll go 4 hours - their body clocks are amazing!

Re the infacol, a friend recommended Dentinox in favour of Infacol, not sure if it might work better? By the way, does anyone know how long to keep using colic drops for? Dexter doesn't have colic assuch but also has a lot of wind so I've been adding Dentinox to every other feed since Weds and he seems to be more content and burping easier already - how do you know when to stop using it? x

berit87 said:
Thank you girls! x I am just so confused and worried, I don't know what to do. I want to bottle feed. Don't if and how long for I should breastfeed (that's if I could)...

I felt like this, I decided to bottle feed during late pregnancy but ummed and ahhed for ages, mainly because of other people's reactions. When I finally made the decision, after talking to my mum, various friends who had either breast or bottle fed and lots of reading, I felt a weight had been lifted. I stopped justifying myself to people and if anyone asked said it was personal choice and, in a polite way, none of their business. I'm so glad I made the choice I did as it had worked out really well for us - every family and every baby are different but as my midwife said, if mum and dad are happy then baby's happy. :hug:

mandspice said:
berit87 said:

I felt like this, I decided to bottle feed during late pregnancy but ummed and ahhed for ages, mainly because of other people's reactions. When I finally made the decision, after talking to my mum, various friends who had either breast or bottle fed and lots of reading, I felt a weight had been lifted. I stopped justifying myself to people and if anyone asked said it was personal choice and, in a polite way, none of their business. I'm so glad I made the choice I did as it had worked out really well for us - every family and every baby are different but as my midwife said, if mum and dad are happy then baby's happy. :hug:

It is really annoying that people are commenting when it's non of their business. Everyone's like "So you're gonna BF right?" And when I say no there's a strange silence. And my STEPDAD was like well you don't seriously think that you are not gonna BF your baby. I was like WTF. :wall:

It is my baby and obviously I wouldn't do anything in this world to harm him but at the end of the day it's my choice how I'm gonna feed him as long as his healthy.

Thank you for your support :hug:

Hey :wave: I've just seen your post. Don't feel bad for not breastfeeding. I'm not planning on even trying it, it just doesn't appeal to me. I've also had people criticize me for it but I don't care! You do what you think is right for you and your baby, sod everyone else and their opinions! :hug:

I breastfed for 3 days then started formula. If you don't want to try it then don't let anyone pressure you to as someone said formula is not poison and LO is thriving as a formula fed baby. I don't intend to even try next time.

Last edited:
I need some advise please!!!
myself and peter are severely sleep deprived, from 4am in the morning she screams and screams and screams, untill today we hadnt slept for 2 whole nights :bored: (thank god for my dad having her for those 5 hrs xxxx)
she's 8 days old and has about 3oz cow and gate formula every 3-4 hrs depending on Lyla (feeding on demand).
could this be colic? Im not sure what colic actually is, but i need advise either way its breaking my heart seeing her get so so worked up screaming and crying and going bright red nothing at all settles her and believe me we've tried everything.
:pray: please help me xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back