Bottle Feeding Support Thread

Sam's trying to hold his own bottle at the moment.

He has this annoying habit of pushing and pulling it out of his mouth then screaming when he can't get any milk out of it because he's pushed it away :wall:

He also talks to his bottle too :rotfl: he has a good little conversation with it.

Emma58 said:

He has this annoying habit of pushing and pulling it out of his mouth then screaming when he can't get any milk out of it because he's pushed it away :wall:

We're exactly the same - doesn't seem to be a quick fix! She's had milk up her nose and in her eye this week. Feeds are taking soooo much longer with all this faffing! Dunno if she's too small to try a sippy cup? :?

daftscotslass said:
Emma58 said:

We're exactly the same - doesn't seem to be a quick fix! She's had milk up her nose and in her eye this week. Feeds are taking soooo much longer with all this faffing! Dunno if she's too small to try a sippy cup? :?

In terms of drinking or do you mean holding it herself? Phoebs still can't do it herself properly. She is also like Becky and Sam, batting it out of her gob :wall: Sometimes holding her in a different position helps, e.g. back to me on my lap watching the tele haha.

I recommend the Dr Browns sippy cup. Its non spill (some still drips out slowly if you hold it upside down mind you) but really easy to get liquid out of! I tried it :) And it only has 1 hole for fluid to come out of. The ones with 2 holes are too fast for phoebe.

There are loads of other cups that are from 4 months tho :) They recommend you start using a cup for milk from about 6 months, and off bottle completely by a year I think. Will see how we go!

Might try it just for the sake of trying as I've got a from 4 month one from Boots (was reduced from £2.99 to 88p!). Where did you get the Dr Brown one Lara? I didn't see them in Boots yesterday but then it was only a small store.

I bought it online. On ebay I think, hang on let me just check, memory doesn't exist anymore!

Yeah I did try clicking here! Hope it works

I paid £6 inc p&p, so not horrendously cheap, but to be honest I was desperate lol. She won't drink out of 2 holed ones, and the hard spouted ones e.g. TT First cup she just bites! This has a bit of a softer tip but hard at the same time, as a tiny bit leaks out she obviously knew something would come out if she sucked. We got the pink one 8)

We just use them for juice or water at the moment - i want to try and get her in the habit of using one for when we start weaning!
:hug:

Jade&Evie said:
:( i'm dreading the day Evie starts holding her own bottles- I love sitting down and feeding her!

I think you'll love it! They can usually do it quite early but often prefer you to hold it, so by the time they start doing it themselves it looks so cute. I felt really proud of her and really pleased that I could get the rest of her food ready while she was having a drink. After nearly a year of holding the bottle you are really glad when they do it themselves. She still likes to snuggle up at night though and have her bottle 'like a baby'

newmum said:
She still likes to snuggle up at night though and have her bottle 'like a baby'

:D GOOD! I love the last bottle before bedtime cause she gives me a little smile before dropping off.... :)

Just thought I'd drop in and say hi :wave: I've started bottle feeding today and it feels like a big weight has been lifted.

How do you prepare your bottles? I'm just trying to figure out a quick way of doing it. The midwife said to have a couple of bottles of cooled boiled water in the fridge and then warm them up and add the powder (as it's quicker to warm up water than cool it down). But I was thinking a quicker way might be to have some bottles in the fridge with less water in and then add abit of boiling water?

xJodieLoux said:
Just thought I'd drop in and say hi :wave: I've started bottle feeding today and it feels like a big weight has been lifted.

How do you prepare your bottles? I'm just trying to figure out a quick way of doing it. The midwife said to have a couple of bottles of cooled boiled water in the fridge and then warm them up and add the powder (as it's quicker to warm up water than cool it down). But I was thinking a quicker way might be to have some bottles in the fridge with less water in and then add abit of boiling water?

Hi, :wave:
yeah, u could have your cooled boiled water in the bottles left on the side at room temp then when ready for feed boil the kettle then add a couple of oz to the bottle and then add powder. then if too hot cool down in a jug of water.
some still make bottles day before and store in fridge. you just have to cool bottles asap and store in fridge under 5 oc and some add powder to cool boiled water if baby will take bottle at room temp. There are so many different ways. enjoy!!!

xJodieLoux said:

I keep bottles of cooled boiled water out on the worktop (at room temp) and add food when needed and shake! Faith takes it at room temp so there is no need to cool or warm anything and it makes going out a doddle! If you use TT bottles then try the powder dispensers - they make it even easier! Or any little pots with measured formula in are good :)

:wave:
I do exactly the same as Suzie..it is soooo much easier when you don't have to warm up, especially if you're out!! :dance:

I thought they had to be warm for the powder to mix properly?

I've never had any problem, i use aptimil..i shake like mad then let it settle for 5 mins to get rid of air bubbles.

I use SMA White and I find it's fine- You have to shake it a bit more but other than that it mixes ok.

I think it might be Cow and Gate that has to be made with warm water- you could take a thermos flask out with you and tp up the bottles when you need them if that's the case? I think Lara (Laracomps) does that. x

hello! :wave:

I use SMA gold.....can it be mixed at room temp too?

Just now we pour boiled water into the bottles, add powder and shake, then put them in the fridge until needed. we then have to warm them up when LO wants fed!

is there a simpler way when using SMA gold? (using Avent bottles and bottle warmer)

claire2711 said:

Just now we pour boiled water into the bottles, add powder and shake, then put them in the fridge until needed. we then have to warm them up when LO wants fed!

is there a simpler way when using SMA gold? (using Avent bottles and bottle warmer)

I used SMA Gold til Evie was 12 weeks- made the bottles up with water in the morning and added powder when I needed the bottle- when out and about just used the TT powder pots but if you are using avent bottles you could get a powder dispenser (our big tesco sells them for about £3 I think) and add powder as and when.

I hardly heat Evie's bottles at all- I shake well and stick in a jug of hot water for a few minutes but that is to help the gaviscon mix- she will take a bottle at room temp when out and about.

I'm using aptimil, I will give it a go at room temp and see how it goes.

Another question... How long do you keep a bottle that you've made up before you throw it away? On the box it says 2 hours, HV just told me 1 hour.

Jaida had 1oz at 9am and 2oz between 11 and 12. She seems content enough, just wish she'd have more so she goes longer in between:roll:

I don't have a problem with bottles being left! Evie eats it all! :rotfl:

I think 1 hour is the recommended time- if she leaves a lot why not make up more smaller bottles and onlt add the powder if you need them- powder is so expensive that I hate wasting it! :roll:

Jade&Evie said:
claire2711 said:

I used SMA Gold til Evie was 12 weeks- made the bottles up with water in the morning and added powder when I needed the bottle- when out and about just used the TT powder pots but if you are using avent bottles you could get a powder dispenser (our big tesco sells them for about £3 I think) and add powder as and when.

I hardly heat Evie's bottles at all- I shake well and stick in a jug of hot water for a few minutes but that is to help the gaviscon mix- she will take a bottle at room temp when out and about.

ooh thanks! :cheer: think Riley's ok with it at room temp so I'll give it a go! Gonna try him with some coled boiled water later cos he's a wee bit constipated :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back