Bottle Feeding Support Thread

Hi
Great thread!
Haven't been around for a while as im too busy, tried to read some posts really interesting, i do have few questions not sure if they were already asked ,
After making the bottle, for how long is it ok to use it?
the way i make up my bottles are using hot boiled water that i keep in a flask and then add it to the bottle, add the powder, then i place the bottle immediately in a pot with cold water to cool the milk down,
is this safe?
sometimes my baby takes only 2oz but i know after 30 min or so he will want more so i place the bottle with the remaining in the warmer then i cool it down again is it safe to do that?

thanks kerrygold00, she has been doing all of that bringing her knees up and clenching her fists.
tried infacol, seems to be working but ill keep a store of that other make just incase infacol doesnt cut the mustard anymore!

maldives said:
Hi
Great thread!
Haven't been around for a while as im too busy, tried to read some posts really interesting, i do have few questions not sure if they were already asked ,
After making the bottle, for how long is it ok to use it?
the way i make up my bottles are using hot boiled water that i keep in a flask and then add it to the bottle, add the powder, then i place the bottle immediately in a pot with cold water to cool the milk down,
is this safe?
sometimes my baby takes only 2oz but i know after 30 min or so he will want more so i place the bottle with the remaining in the warmer then i cool it down again is it safe to do that?

thats exactly how i make bottles up by using a flask as the water is still hot enough to kill bacteria in the powder as the milk powder is not sterile. If u look on the box of your formula it should tell you how long it is ok to use i think it says 2 hours on cow and gate but i try not to use it more than an hour but in the early days lo would take over an hour to feed.
i dont think you can reheat the bottles but i would try and give it to your lo even when cooled down as it is handy when out and about to give at room temp. good luck x

***vix*** said:
I need some advise please!!!
myself and peter are severely sleep deprived, from 4am in the morning she screams and screams and screams, untill today we hadnt slept for 2 whole nights :bored: (thank god for my dad having her for those 5 hrs xxxx)
she's 8 days old and has about 3oz cow and gate formula every 3-4 hrs depending on Lyla (feeding on demand).
could this be colic? Im not sure what colic actually is, but i need advise either way its breaking my heart seeing her get so so worked up screaming and crying and going bright red nothing at all settles her and believe me we've tried everything.
:pray: please help me xxx

if it isnt colic then it could be the signs of reflux. my lo was diagnosed with reflux as he would be in pain with feeds and his legs would raise to his chest , most asume reflux means being sick after feeds but he never was!! infant gaviscon helped a lot. i would check with your hv xx

ozzy said:
***vix*** said:
I need some advise please!!!
myself and peter are severely sleep deprived, from 4am in the morning she screams and screams and screams, untill today we hadnt slept for 2 whole nights :bored: (thank god for my dad having her for those 5 hrs xxxx)
she's 8 days old and has about 3oz cow and gate formula every 3-4 hrs depending on Lyla (feeding on demand).
could this be colic? Im not sure what colic actually is, but i need advise either way its breaking my heart seeing her get so so worked up screaming and crying and going bright red nothing at all settles her and believe me we've tried everything.
:pray: please help me xxx

if it isnt colic then it could be the signs of reflux. my lo was diagnosed with reflux as he would be in pain with feeds and his legs would raise to his chest , most asume reflux means being sick after feeds but he never was!! infant gaviscon helped a lot. i would check with your hv xx

ill ask,
although infacol seems to be working...

I can recommend Colief, we have been using it for two weeks now and the difference is amazing. It's worth asking the doctor to perscribe it though as it gets very expensive when you use two bottles a week.

kellyandbump said:
I can recommend Colief, we have been using it for two weeks now and the difference is amazing. It's worth asking the doctor to perscribe it though as it gets very expensive when you use two bottles a week.

My HV reccomended this aswell, did u find it nbetter then infatacol (sp?)
x

Colief and Infacol are for two different things.

Breaking down lactose, and bringing up wind. Depending on what LO's problem is, depends on what will help!! Trial and error unfortunately...

Since weaning, Corey's intake of milk has got like - HUGE the pigglet.

I bought some tesco cheep teats, fast flow, they are like, slower than TT size 2's which is the one I was trying to replace with something faster for him as he gets bored and inverts the nipple. Guess i'll have to spend out for the TT ones... still only 99p for two tesco ones lol

CoreysMummy said:
Colief and Infacol are for two different things.

Breaking down lactose, and bringing up wind. Depending on what LO's problem is, depends on what will help!! Trial and error unfortunately...

Since weaning, Corey's intake of milk has got like - HUGE the pigglet.

I bought some tesco cheep teats, fast flow, they are like, slower than TT size 2's which is the one I was trying to replace with something faster for him as he gets bored and inverts the nipple. Guess i'll have to spend out for the TT ones... still only 99p for two tesco ones lol

We use Avent but rather than buying new teats I've poked a hole in the size ones to give two holes - it's all they do and it works fine! x

:roll: :roll: :roll:

wasted my bloody money on these anti colic 'remedies' , ran out yesterday forgot to buy more when at the shops, anyway i was shitting myself at the thought of those screams returnig lasting hours into the night....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
SHE SLEPT LIKE A DREAM!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Just to add to this thread (albeit late...!)

Dentinox and changing to organic baby milk helped my LO no end!

And there is light at the end of the tunnel, my LO is now 6 months, and you only have to sit him up to get a nice LOUD burp! :rotfl:

This is a brilliant thread! Hoping to get a bit of advice actually if you girls don't mind!
Amber doesn't bring her wind up very well, sometimes it can take a good hour or so before she brings it up and even then it isn't a lot. We've tried infacol but that doesn't seem to work. I'm thinking of changing her formula to Cow & Gate because they do a milk for easier digestion so have bought a carton to try her with to see if she likes it (didn't want to buy a big tub if shes not going to like it). Shes on heinz at the moment, do you think its worth changing the milk?
Also we tried her with the hungrier baby milk because she is draining a 7oz bottle and my HV said when she is doing that to switch her over to the hungry baby milk but its not making any difference! She still has 7oz and shes still feeding every 3 hours! I'm confused as I thought the hungrier milk was supposed to be satisfying her more!

Laura, what bottles are you using? We switched from Avent to Dr Browns and have seen SUCH an improvement in winding! I know they're meant to reduce wind but Isla burps more than ever now! I prefer that to her not burping at all on Avent though! We use Dr Browns and Infacol, and we wind Isla sitting up which I find is much more productive :)

Good luck!

C xxx

We use the tommee tippee bottles, there supposed to be anti colic and were recommended to us but I'm not so sure about them now :think: We wind her sitting up but its difficult sometimes because she goes all rigid and then throws herself back! Shes now completely draining an 8oz bottle and sometimes has 9, I was worried shed get fat but shes following the line on her growth chart and the HV told me to just carry on doing what I'm doing!
Will have a look for those bottles tomorrow, thanks hun :hug: :hug:

firstly thanks for great thread, its been great gelp, but still need help.. i have just stopprd breastfeeding after 9 weeks as been ill so the whole bottle thing is so confusing i think i have been doing wrong as i had been making my bottles with boiling water and formula then cooling them down to temp under the tap and either giving him them or cooling enough to put in fridge then giving later.. so should i just be putting the boiled water in fridge and then adding the formula when he wants it and warm it up? sorry if i am babbling!!

Also he is 10 weeks old and weighs 13ib 1 and had 6 oz each feed but he is feeding every 3 hours so i feels he is feeding too much should i try cutting him down or adding a bottle of water. it says on the aptimail tub for his weight 6oz 5 times a day we are on 7 times and he weight is under the 4 month catogory!!!

any help apprieciated thanks x

help! the HV has told us to put Bethan onto comfort 1 so after spending £10 on the new milk we are hoping that someone has some ideas how the hell we can make up the bottles at night and when we go out?! We were using C+G stage one we were filling the bottles with water for the day and adding powder as needed, then i saw a suggestion on here to do this but put half the bottle with hot water and this was working really well, now we are stuck as HV says its important to use fresh hot water to make comfort due to the potato starch :( :( :( :( :(

In that case I'd make up 24 hours worth, mixing with the water which has been boiled and left for about 20 mins and keep the made-up bottles in the fridge - or in a cool bag when out.

Is there any reason why she was put on the comfort milk?

xxxx

sam96031 said:
help! the HV has told us to put Bethan onto comfort 1 so after spending £10 on the new milk we are hoping that someone has some ideas how the hell we can make up the bottles at night and when we go out?! We were using C+G stage one we were filling the bottles with water for the day and adding powder as needed, then i saw a suggestion on here to do this but put half the bottle with hot water and this was working really well, now we are stuck as HV says its important to use fresh hot water to make comfort due to the potato starch :( :( :( :( :(

We never used hot water. We did half and half like you did. The hotter you make the water, the thicker the milk goes. But we never had a problem doing it half and half, (or even less hot to be honest) and whilst Phoebe was on it, it did the trick :) :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back