Bottle Feeding Support Thread

and the water is way to hot for leland after 30 mins , even 2 hours sometimes , he likes it cold cos of his relux warm bottles make it worse and he screams and pukes !

Been wondering this for ages - has anyone used the pre-made cartons and found they weren't substantial? When I first ventured out with LO I thought it was easier to take a couple of cartons with me to fill a sterilised bottle. I was really confused about carrying water and powder :lol: Anyway, he used to almost finish the carton (even when he was only still having 4oz of powder at home) and never seemed full. It just didn't seem substantial - I went to IKEA, bought some small little tuppaware things and now always take the powder in these and the water in the bottles. The only difference I can think of is the consistency of the preparations. The cartons are pretty runny compared with powder added to water. Anyone else experienced this?

I'm just not a fan of the cartons but that's more because of the way it smells. I suppose because it's UHT sterilised.

You're right about the smell - it is pretty grim. Pleased i've given up with them now.

I love the TT powder dispensers but how do you dry them after sterilising? If you don't dry them then the powders sticks, if you dry them you make them unsterile and as the dispenser sits in the water it should be sterilised...

Any ideas?

Asda do some cheap little pots.

I keeo bottles of cooled boiled water out an pre-measured formula.

p.s love this thread!

Gene said:
Been wondering this for ages - has anyone used the pre-made cartons and found they weren't substantial? When I first ventured out with LO I thought it was easier to take a couple of cartons with me to fill a sterilised bottle. I was really confused about carrying water and powder :lol: Anyway, he used to almost finish the carton (even when he was only still having 4oz of powder at home) and never seemed full. It just didn't seem substantial - I went to IKEA, bought some small little tuppaware things and now always take the powder in these and the water in the bottles. The only difference I can think of is the consistency of the preparations. The cartons are pretty runny compared with powder added to water. Anyone else experienced this?

i havent noticed this and i always use the cartons when shopping or visiting people . I jut thought the cartons were less froffy i find the cartons so much easier . i guess it depends on how u make the bottles up as there are so many different ways now ,at home i use a flask with boiled water and then add the powder , im too lazy to take the flask and powder dispenser thingy out with me.
its all good fun though ! :dance:

I steam sterilise them so they come out hot hot hot! I shake off the excess water and because they're hot the rest just evaporates in a few minutes. Not much use if you cold water sterilise though...

Suzie and Faith said:
I love the TT powder dispensers but how do you dry them after sterilising? If you don't dry them then the powders sticks, if you dry them you make them unsterile and as the dispenser sits in the water it should be sterilised...

Any ideas?

Asda do some cheap little pots.

I keeo bottles of cooled boiled water out an pre-measured formula.

p.s love this thread!

Brill I was just about to ask the same!

Also, thought might be a good idea to discuss teat flow! Phoebe has always struggled with fast teats, she drinks the milk but it pours out of her mouth and gets so windy.

So far I've found teats to go in this order (from slowest to fasted).

Dr Browns No. 1
Breast Flow Slow Flow (prob on par with Dr Browns No. 1)
Tommee Tippee No. 1
Dr Browns No. 2
Tommee Tippee No. 2
Dr Browns No. 3

We were using Dr Browns no 2 until this week, but they were starting to get too slow as she was falling asleep mid feed. We use thicker milk (Easy Digest) so she needs slightly faster teat then normal. We tried moving up to Dr Browns No. 3 but was too fast - Tommee Tippee No. 2 seems to be a winner :D

I'm sure I've got more to add, but laptop battery about to die! Will be back with more later.

Back already ;)

Just wanted to make n00bies :wave: aware of these in case they aren't:

Steri-bottles

sterimk2.jpg

You can get them in Boots, any large supermarket. They are pre-sterilised disposable (or recyclable if they do plastic in your area) bottles. They work out about 50p each, but have been a life saver for me at times and you get caught short without a bottle. You can get them in 4 or 12 packs. I always keep one in my change bag along with a carton of milk :)

daftscotslass said:
I steam sterilise them so they come out hot hot hot! I shake off the excess water and because they're hot the rest just evaporates in a few minutes. Not much use if you cold water sterilise though...

I steam sterilise too and the few times i've tried letting it evaporate the powder has stuck. I'll have another try though! Lol.

Faith is on TT size 2 teats.
She started on TT size 1 with normal milk.
We tried Dr.Browns and NUK bottles with size 1 teats when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with her.
When we tried the comfort milk she had TT variflow and TT size 2 and now with Soya milk we use TT size 2 BUT we did try variflow and found that most of it missed her mouth! We also tried going back to TT size 1 but she got bored very quickly!

suze , i just rested them on kitchen roll top side up to dry off , there;s not much more u can do ! i wouldnt worry too much :hug: you can go a bit OTT on sterilsing ,in america they dont even bother !

I used to dry them with a muslin, as Gem says you can go mad worrying about sterilising. Plus formula powder isn't sterile anyway, and neither is the knife I use to scrape off the scoop. So I wouldn't worry. (I can remember asking the same thing though, and it was Gem that told me this! So thanks Gem!!!)

lelands never had a tummy bug in his life so i cant have done too wrong :D it wont be long suze and everything and anything will be going in her mouth and i cant tell u know , she wont be fussy about if mummy has spent time sterlising it !

Loving this thread!!!
I agree with Gem about the whole sterilising thing...make you bonkers!!

I will probably be told off if my HV knows I make up my bottles with boiled water in morning ready, then add formula just before his feed, as Ted LOVES cold milk...which is great for going out...no heating! He has never been ill and it makes life sooooo much easier!

Also - found a great bottle on ebay from America called Podee...it is a great transition for them to start holding it themselves - i'm poo at adding links, but if anyone can find one it ay be good to show people. Ted loves it. There is long tube and the teat is at the end, so you can have the bottle in the pushchair and they hold the teat to the mouth (like a dummy), means he can eat on the go, but he doesn't have to hold the heavy bottle!!! :dance:

Suzie and Faith said:

Any ideas?

We don't sterilise our TT pots, because they are filled with non-sterile powder so it doesn't matter about sterilising the pot, as long as it's clean and dry.

Sophie1102 said:
Suzie and Faith said:

Any ideas?

We don't sterilise our TT pots, because they are filled with non-sterile powder so it doesn't matter about sterilising the pot, as long as it's clean and dry.

Ditto- the scoop you use to scoop the powder isn't sterilised so the TT pots don't need to be either. I usually wash all mine and leave them to dry then if they are still a bit damp inside just wipe them out with a piece of kitchen roll.

AnnaR2B said:
Found a pic - hope i posted it ok
podee_baby_yellow.jpg

:( i'm dreading the day Evie starts holding her own bottles- I love sitting down and feeding her!

I know, thats why i got one...i want to hold it for Ted but he bats it out of my hand and grabs at it..its like a scrap at the mo! :rotfl:
He loves this though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back