Blw ask away :)

Mmmmmm, savoury pancakes are yummy. I'm so impatient I want Tilly to try so many things! I made a savoury pancake for her dinner yesterday and she loved it, so yeah, whyever not for breakfast too? thanks, hun xx

Karen how did you make the porridge fingers?

Feel free to share your recipes! X

This is a really thick question but how do you give them things like lasagne? Give them their own spoon and hope for the best or let them use their fingers?

Feel über stupid asking this question ha ha

Put it all in front of them and let them get on with it I suppose???

This is a really thick question but how do you give them things like lasagne? Give them their own spoon and hope for the best or let them use their fingers?

Feel über stupid asking this question ha ha

Both. Introducing cutlery right from the start is best idea. LO prob won't use it, but it means they get used to the fact it's part of the meal itkwim.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

My LO has been weaned via BLW and even now at 20 months she can use her fork, but finds it quicker to use her hands so will start off with fork then end up with hands :lol:

I haven't dared to try Tilly with lasagne yet, although we have some home-made in the freezer... I am waiting til she's a little better at getting things into her mouth. She's still only really managing things that are stick shaped and easy to pick up, so I imagine she'll get pretty pissed if I gave her slippery lasagne to try. She gets frustrated easily when she can't do something, poor chicken. I guess she'd get a good taste of the sauce and some of the pasta would make it into her mouth. I'm just dreading tomato-based mess too!

We've tried her with a spoon and a bit of Petits Filous and whilst she loves it, it goes EVERYWHERE - in her hair, eyes, all down her front. Wonderfully messy.

PORRIDGE FINGERS from the Gill Rapley BLW Cookbook: (apparently to serve 1 adult and 1 baby, but I don't think it's nearly enough!)
3tbsp porridge oats (not instant oats and not rolled oats)
3tbsp whole milk

In a bowl, mix the oats and milk together and leave for a few minutes to soak till it's mushy. Press into a shallow bowl and microwave for 2 minutes (I find it can take up to 5 minutes). Cut into fingers and serve when cooled.

Now, I find these terribly dull to eat, and T turned her nose up at them too, so I added some mashed banana and reduced the milk a little. One word of caution - maybe grease the dish a little otherwise it's almost impossible to get the ******* stuff out of it once it's cooked.

There's a good-looking recipe for savoury flapjacks that I'm going to try. Will report back.
xxx

I will have to stop reading these threads while I am hungry lol... Runs to raid the fridge...

We had banana drop scones this morning with some apple wedges lightly cooked in butter with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Went down a treat. She didn't have lots, as usual, but seemed to really enjoy the apples in particular, sucking the fruit off the skins. I find apple is too hard for her uncooked, so this was great x

Karen can I come live with you please? He he

Karen can I come live with you please? He he
Hehe - sure, honey. I had a very similar conversation with FBE when we were pregnant and talking about Chinese cooking, so you'll both have to come! xx

Karen that sounds yummy, max loves apple so will definitely have to try adding a bit of cinnamon xx

I would like ideas of quick foods to cook & ideas for wen I go bk to work I can pre-prepare xxxx

I would like ideas of quick foods to cook & ideas for wen I go bk to work I can pre-prepare xxxx
I'm kind of in the same situation because I'm working and OH is at home at the moment so we are both around to make meals. When he goes back to work next month I won't really have time to faff around too much making something from scratch every day.

I'm going to try making some of the savoury muffins or the red lentil wedges from the Gill Rapley cookbook and freeze them. I'll try to give LO what I'm eating as far as she can manage the food, but am trying not to give her anything processed, so sometimes I'll need an alternative. At the moment I'm mostly giving some veg or fruit cut into suitable shapes, plus a little of something else, like chickpea patties, home made fishcakes etc. that she can just about handle. You could try freezing a fishcake mix in patty shapes, then defrosting a few in the morning, then it's a case of dipping in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, then frying it when you want to eat.

Any help? Or am I being unrealistic? :) xxx

Porridge Fingers sound amazing!!!!!!!!!! Yum...

My LO is 23 weeks. Any ideas of things I should be trying him? I don't think he likes my purée's at all :(
Loves strawberrys. And Ella's kitchens pouches. But iv stopped giving him them as I think he's getting used to the sweetness of the pouches... He's getting pea purée tonight :( will probably be a disaster.xxz

My LO is 23 weeks. Any ideas of things I should be trying him? I don't think he likes my purée's at all :(
Loves strawberrys. And Ella's kitchens pouches. But iv stopped giving him them as I think he's getting used to the sweetness of the pouches... He's getting pea purée tonight :( will probably be a disaster.xxz
Hey hun. It's only a few weeks before your LO turns six months, right? My maths is so bad these days... So why not start trying some BLW in the next couple of weeks. Keep trying purees if you want him to keep eating for now, but his aversion to them might be because he wants more control over what he eats and he might be much happier picking real food up and feeding himself soon. Don't worry if he's not eating a lot at this stage, whether it's purees or finger food. He'll get used to different tastes in the end.

For BLW, start at mealtimes by offering him something on his tray - cooked veg in stick shapes, broccoli, soft pears etc. are good starter foods. He might show absolutely no interest in picking them up or putting them to his mouth at first, but just keep offering something every time you sit down to eat together and one day he'll just start doing it when he's ready. Tilly showed zero interest until two days after she turned six months and now I can't stop her. She's so enthusiastic about food. We just had some bread pizza and steamed veg, which she loved. She got tomato puree all over her face, but seemed to enjoy smearing it about and tasting it.

Hope this helps a bit?
xxx

Hey hun. It's only a few weeks before your LO turns six months, right? My maths is so bad these days... So why not start trying some BLW in the next couple of weeks. Keep trying purees if you want him to keep eating for now, but his aversion to them might be because he wants more control over what he eats and he might be much happier picking real food up and feeding himself soon. Don't worry if he's not eating a lot at this stage, whether it's purees or finger food. He'll get used to different tastes in the end.

For BLW, start at mealtimes by offering him something on his tray - cooked veg in stick shapes, broccoli, soft pears etc. are good starter foods. He might show absolutely no interest in picking them up or putting them to his mouth at first, but just keep offering something every time you sit down to eat together and one day he'll just start doing it when he's ready. Tilly showed zero interest until two days after she turned six months and now I can't stop her. She's so enthusiastic about food. We just had some bread pizza and steamed veg, which she loved. She got tomato puree all over her face, but seemed to enjoy smearing it about and tasting it.

Hope this helps a bit?
xxx

You're right Karen, my LO had started rejecting purées and grabs the spoon from my hand! He much prefers grabbing food from his tray and is getting better at putting food in his mouth now! He's 6 months on Friday so I might introduce other foods now! Is the Gill Rapley book worth buying? X

Thanks Karen it does alot!
I really am only giving him little tastes and in no way dropping any if his milk. I just want to try get him used to different flavours.
He will be 6months on the 5th if feb. so not long at all...
I have given him brocolli purée and he hates it! Haha...
I am really thinking BLW might suit him more. I let him suck on a strawberry the other day, I had to hold it but he loved it. I left it on his tray but he wasn't interested.
I will just keep doing it. I don't even mind him playing with the purée and sucking his fingers etc...xx

You're right Karen, my LO had started rejecting purées and grabs the spoon from my hand! He much prefers grabbing food from his tray and is getting better at putting food in his mouth now! He's 6 months on Friday so I might introduce other foods now! Is the Gill Rapley book worth buying? X

I think the books are good. If you want some recipe ideas, then the cookbook is better and still has lots of detail about the theory and practicalities of BLW. The other BLW book is mostly theory and not so useful if you want meal ideas.

Thanks Karen it does alot!
I really am only giving him little tastes and in no way dropping any if his milk. I just want to try get him used to different flavours.
He will be 6months on the 5th if feb. so not long at all...
I have given him brocolli purée and he hates it! Haha...
I am really thinking BLW might suit him more. I let him suck on a strawberry the other day, I had to hold it but he loved it. I left it on his tray but he wasn't interested.
I will just keep doing it. I don't even mind him playing with the purée and sucking his fingers etc...xx

Sounds good to me. Tilly loved broccoli, probably because it has a really interesting feel in the mouth and is easy to handle. Just keep putting stuff in from of LO and he'll pick it up eventually. I thought it would never happen and then, bam, it did. If you don't mind the mess, you can certainly let LO play with the puree, and later on you can spread the rest on toast or rice cakes to use it up.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back