Been in hospital really worried - can anyone help!

Little miss pink

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Well i can safely say yesterday was the one of the worst days of my life i think.

Sorry for the long email but i want to explain fully to see if anyone can help me.

Yesterday i had my consultant appointment in the morning and all seemed to be going, well, urine was clear, blood pressure was fine and baby's position was head down which was great. Then it came to listening to the babies heartbeat...... the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat for ages and then finally when she did i knew straight away (from other montioring's and usingmy dopler) that it sounded completely wrong and different. I could see by the midwifes face she was worried about how difficult it was to find the heartbeat and secondly how it sounded so inside i started to panic....

I then said that "sounds wrong doesn't it".... "no answer" the consultant then walked in the room for our appointment and her face changed to puzzled as she heard the doppler sound! So i said again that sounds wrong doesn't it!!!!!!!

She said yeah but don't panic it might be the doppler.......... She then said we'll stick you on the monitor to see how things are.... So they took me through to the monitoring room and started to hook me up to the monitor but again they couldn't find the heartbeat position to strap the monitor on so they were searching like made and i was slowely slipping into a crying panicing mess because i knew this wasn't good.... they would then pick up the heartbeat and it would sound very odd and then it would go again in the end they strapped on the monitor and left me laid on the bed for 45 minute looking at the machine reading no heartbeat........

other mums were coming and going having listened for 10 minutes to their lovely heartbeats and i was just laid there crying knowing this wasn't right.

Then finally the midwfie came back to say she can hear the heartbeat but the machine isn't picking it up and i explain yes but when you do heart the heartbeat it sounds wrong. and she said yes but this happens all the time and its probably the machine or bubs position.... And she started to insinuate she would be sending me home. So i said surely you are not going to send me home having not manged to get a continuous heartbeat and when the one you do occasionally get sounds wrong... and at that point she went to get the consultant who said ok we'll send you for a scan.

I then had to wait an hour and half for my scan which showed up that i had reduced fluid and that the baby's heartbeat was infact beating out of rhythm but they could find no reason as to why so they said they would need to send me to a special fetal echoing unit in the RVI Hospital in newcastle to have a fetal echo done to see it they can determine why. And they said i will now not be ablet o have the waterbirth or a birth at the midwife led unit and depending ont he results i will either have my baby at Durham hospital (if results show baby won't need an op when born) or newcastle RVI (if baby does need an op when born)

But the next fetal echoeing clinic isnt till Thursday of next week so i have to wait a whole week to have this checked out and i am so so worried.

I keep telling myself that if they were more worried they wouldn't make me wait a week but then i remind myself i was going to get sent home without a scan being told it was the machine!! So i have a conflict of confidence......

Has anyone heard of this problem with babies hearts before, can anyone reassure me about it at all!!

Desperate for any advice if anyone knows of anything!

LMP x

I've never heard of this but didn't want to read and run.

I hope you get some answers soon hun :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't offer any advice but like skairdykat i didn't want to read and run.

It is very easy for me to say try to relax, I would be pulling my hair out if I was in your position. If you get concerned phone your midwife or hospital ASAP! The last thing you want is to get yourself worked up! :hug: :hug:

I've not heard of it before sorry, but if you have you're dopler at home i would suggest you get it out yourself, just for some reassurance.

If you've been finding HB and it's sounded fine before it could just be LO having a funny moment. Try not to worry too much about it, easier said then done i know, but if you feel LO is behaving differently dont hesitate to get yourself back up there.

I hope theres nothing wrong and it's just a blip, you've had your anomoly scan and if there was anything major wrong with LO's heart they should have picked it up then

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww hun, sorry I don't know much either :hug:

Except my little man has been a difficult one for MW to track in there for sometime, and each time he's found he scurries off and moves about.

But he's fine and happy and healthy and still kicking about with my internals.

I would also say to call you MW and have a chat about your concerns and hopefully she'll be able to give you more of an explanation and some comfort :hug: :hug:

Thanks Ladies :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm busy searching the internet for some reassurance. I've been on the monitor at hospital again this evening and the arithmia is still there but lookily the monitoring got bubs kicking in there again as he/she's been dead quiet today which was worrying be even more.

If ayone has heard of anything similar I'd really love to know the story

:hug: :hug:

LMP x

Oh LMP that must have been pretty scary :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm afraid I haven't got any advice for you. Keep us updated and I'm :pray: all is ok with baby next week.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Alex xxx

i'm really sorry to read that i know how scared and worried you must be right now :hug: i have no advice but also didn't want to read about something so serious and run. i've not heard of anything like that before. as long as baby is still moving around fine try not to worry too much and babies do have their quiet days also so don't let that worry you too much. as you said if they thought it was something desperately wrong they wouldn't let you wait. hope you get some answers soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: Sorry to hear your so upset LMP. I had a little
look around the net and it appears that irregular heartbeats can
be quite common in the unborn fetus which then corrects itself at birth.
I know it's still a worry but any major problem would have been
picked up at the anomoly scan. The heart is a major organ
that they have a very good view of, so they won't have missed anything of concern at that i'm sure.

As to not being able to find the heartbeat, I was in hospital a few weeks
ago and didn't pass one CTG test! This was because there were too many gaps in picking up the heartbeat and then not picking it up, they just
couldn't get a continuous line going. Also my LO's heart beat was
going from 135 bpm to 160 bpm, but no-one seemed concerned.

I hope your mind is put at rest on Thursday, i'm sure it will be xxx

Hi, didnt want to read and run. Hopefully all will be fine, I cant imagine how worrying it must be. Lots of love :hug: keep us updated.

I don't have any advice for you but thought that a few of these would help :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Xxx

Aww how scary :hug: :hug: Poor you!

I'm sure, like the other ladies have said, things will be fine hun :hug:

Hi Little Miss Pink,

Ever so sorry to read about this. I don't know anything about this myself but if you're really really getting upset it may be worth a try phoning the hospital where they do the echoes to see if there's anyone you can speak to for further info, or if there's any chance whatsoever that they can do the echo earlier, or if there's anywhere else you can get it done. It could be worth pushing the issue a bit as I can imagine how stressed and upset you must be, and you really don't need that right now!

I must say, I am quite surprised that they're making you wait for a week at this late stage (it is sooo bad!!) - when I had my 2nd they suspected that she was very small and they had me in every couple of days for traces - I was very impressed at the monitoring. In the end Rosie was absolutely fine, and I'm sure your baby will be too.

Take care and hope you get some answers very soon - there's a really good chance they'll be no problem at all. :hug:

DaisyRose said:
Hi Little Miss Pink,
Ever so sorry to read about this. I don't know anything about this myself but if you're really really getting upset it may be worth a try phoning the hospital where they do the echoes to see if there's anyone you can speak to for further info, or if there's any chance whatsoever that they can do the echo earlier, or if there's anywhere else you can get it done. It could be worth pushing the issue a bit as I can imagine how stressed and upset you must be, and you really don't need that right now!

Hi LMP
So Sorry to read this, I think the above advice is really good. I would probably speak to your own personal midwife and then give the RVI a call as well in the morning.
Was it the Consultant at Bishop you spoke to?

Babyroox

Oh no, I'm really sorry it to hear this.....I'm afraid I haven't heard of it before but as Daisy Rose says, this isn't a time to be waiting around for whole week - you need reassurance so if you can try and get seen earlier.

I'm sure all will be fine and half the time these things come up because of one person's diagnosis which may not be 100% certain - professionals in this area will know so much more :hug:

Hope you get to see them sooner rather than wait for a week....

:hug: :hug:

Please don't tell me it was the staff at Durham Hosp that were going to send you home and blame the machine for not hearing quite right.. please don't, but I fear you jut might :wall:

Sorry you've had to go through this LMP, I've followed your story all through since TTC board.

RVI will look after you - they know their stuff x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back