Babies and Dogs...

Id never keep them part as that would make the dog hate kids the dog will be able to sence theirs a new bubba around
Personally I have a big German shepherd who is my baby, his never been around lo's but
I will be interducing them slowly with just me & oh around its important to stay carm as you do it as
Dogs sences peoples feelings & will react to yours and ohs body language.
If the dog is your partners id say get him to go let the dog in and you sit with baby on the sofa to start with and resure the
Dog that its okay. You also have to make time for the dog to as the dog may feel pushed out after babies born.

Good luck with it. X

scooby88 - hate to say it but that dog rules the roost and not you or your OH. All his behviour is dominant behaviour and needs to be nipped into the bud pronto.

Why is he a garden ornament and not a family pet? Just my opinion but animals - especially dogs should be part of the family and treated as such with rules, boundries, disapline and love in the house.

My Sam is a Dalmation so not a small dog by any means. We have a very tiny house atm so Sam takes up all the space.
BUT if it wasn't for Sam I wouldn't be here now. I owe my life to Sam and so does my baby. He will NEVER be left unsupervised with my baby as all it can take is for a kid to grab them and hurt them for the dogs instincts to turn and snap to protect it's self. Most kid attacks are due to that so not dogs fault but the owners.

I'll get the pram and cot early so Sam can get used to them, especially putting the pram up and down and walking nicely next to it.
Hope to have a home birth but might have to lock him into the kitchen during labour as he get's really worried when I'm in pain etc and protective of me. However everything I've brought home and looked after and he knows is MY property (from handrearing chicks to guinea pigs) and will protect them as tho he's protecting me, let's me know when there crying etc.

Sam is not just my companion and pet but also my rock and saviour. No matter what happens - he'll never leave us or be kicked out the house.

Remeber - disapline, rules, boundries, exercise THEN love.

Why is he a garden ornament and not a family pet? Just my opinion but animals - especially dogs should be part of the family and treated as such with rules, boundries, disapline and love in the house.

I have to agree with Falcon there.

I have a shar pei (chinese fighting dog) and a very big one at that. I would say he weighs around 8 stone maybe more. He has been brought up in the family as a family dog therefore i have no problem with him being around baby when he comes (obviously i would never leave them alone together). People tend to judge him on what he looks like and that pisses me off... they dont see him at home curled up asleep with 3 cats in his bed or running around with his teddy. I will add a piccy to show you what he looks like.

Like said, because your dog has not been brought up in the family enviroment and has lived all his life outside i would not let him near the baby. He simply does not know how to behave in that enviroment as he has not lived in it therefore will be unpredictable.

Attachments

• khan2.jpg
    khan2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have a shar pei (chinese fighting dog) and a very big one at that. I would say he weighs around 8 stone maybe more. He has been brought up in the family as a family dog therefore i have no problem with him being around baby when he comes (obviously i would never leave them alone together). People tend to judge him on what he looks like and that pisses me off... they dont see him at home curled up asleep with 3 cats in his bed or running around with his teddy. I will add a piccy to show you what he looks like.

Just got to say I love this people always seem to look at my dog the
Same but his just a big bear x

He actually thinks he is a cat, he gets confused when the cats sleep in the back of the sofa and he can't fit on there when he tries :D

My thought exactly.
How much human contact does he have if he is not allowed in past the kitchen at times?
Would it be kinder to give him to someone who can integrate him into their family?

My opinion is that a pet is a member of the family x

My thought exactly.
How much human contact does he have if he is not allowed in past the kitchen at times?
Would it be kinder to give him to someone who can integrate him into their family?

My opinion is that a pet is a member of the family x

Exactly.

How much time do you yourself spend with him? If he's pretty much not allowed in the house do you go outside to spend time with him? Could this be why he barks at you because he doesn't know you enough?

Like cosmic said, would it not be kinder to give him to a family who will look at him as family and look after him. Even if you do spend time with him now... how are you going to do so when the baby comes? If you are scared to have him near the baby then you can not take the baby outside with him.

I think its a bit harsh telling her to give the dog to another family.

My ex boyfriends dad had a mastiff and a burnese mountain dog (both of which are HUGE dogs) and kept them both outside. He went out to them often, took them for regular walks, they were well looked after and treated well, but they lived out of the garage.
He had 2 small children with his new wife, and he took the children out regularly so that the dogs got to know them etc (I don't know exactly what he did as I wasn't there all the time) but the dogs never had any issue with the kids, and were happy, lively dogs.

I think the OP knows her own dogs personality, and I'm sure if she thought the dog would be a danger, she would get rid of it. But that being said, whether its a teacup dog or a giant Irish wolf hound, it should never be left alone with the child anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

It's a difficult one. Your dogs can be your babies then this small thing that shrieks comes along.
My parents have a Dalmatian and a weimeraner who are 9 and my babies. Last weekend we took Fin to introduce him to them.
To give a bit of background the dogs can get aggressive with each other- not humans- when nervous so are muzzled for their own protection when in the house.
The dogs were very unsure to start off with, the weimeraner just followed me everywhere when I had Fin but they both got a bit nervous when he cried.it's a slow process but hopefully they will be fine after a few more visits xx

It's just something i don't personally believe in, dogs are pack animals and not meant to be on their own.

I took this next quote from an animal care site...

Dogs are companion animals and, as such, belong in our homes and in our lives. Just because you have a backyard doesn’t mean that Phydeau should be restricted to it. Take the time to teach him house manners and socialize him to the world beyond your property, and you will discover you have within him the best possible companion.

I could not agree more with it.

Lisa x

I just believe that a pet should be treated as a family member and not segregated or isolated from the rest of the family, I don't think it's harsh to suggest that a family member could provide that, especially when baby arrives. In fact, the op was the one that suggested this idea had been an option.
That's my belief.
How much time are you going to be able to spend in the garden with a new baby? If the dog is not isolated from the family then that's fine x

It seems like intervgration is what is needed. I adore our spaniel, he is spoilt, given his own way more than he should, he can be stubborn however is very loyal, loving but will be obident when he is told no or to do something. We have recently introduced a baby gate into out house so he is confined to the kitchen/diner which he has adapted to very well and will sit nicely while he waits to come out. I do agree that dogs should be a member of a family and not just kept outside, it is something the the op and oh will need to think about long and hard. I really do tho k keeping the baby/children complete separate with no interaction is not the case and the dog should be allowed to see the baby, otherwise he may well not take to baby at all (I think I said something similar in my op)
Hopefully you can come to the right decision for you and your family x

I have 2 yorkies they arent kept away from the baby they still just roam the house like any other member of our family would cause thats what they are, they just kinda smell my son & move along they aren't really interested but as much as I dont think they would do anything you just never know! I would never leave them on their own with him x

Last edited:
This is one of my dogs thinking shes the baby ;)

Attachments

• 544966_378751315518092_1088630429_n.jpg
    544966_378751315518092_1088630429_n.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
Alot of mixed opinions here, and some opinions I think people need to keep to themselves. My dog is NOT a garden ornament. He is a well loved family pet, but he is an animal, and a big one at that. Me and my partner work all day, and the dog has our full attention of an evening. It would be cruel to leave him cooped up in the kitchen, or in a crate like some people do all day whilst they are at work, so my dog has a huge aera of the garden he gets to roam around in freely all day. I go to the butchers every week and he gets fresh bones to chew on. He spends most of his time sleeping until his dad gets home from work to take him out. He is 3 years old and we have had him since he was a puppy, there is no way we would just give him away. If it comes to it, the last resort would be for him to live at my father in laws farm, but he would have to stay in the family. The only reason my dog would be a danger to a child, is it he bowled them over by accident. He doesnt know his own strength. Another reason the dog is an outside dog is because he drools, everywhere. This would not be hygenic to have him dribbling all over the place, especially when the abby comes. And to answer another question, yes we spend alot of our time outside. I tend to my vegetables and chickens, and my OH is always in the garage with his cars and motorbikes, usually with the dog by his side.

I was not asking for advice about how and where to keep MY dog. I just wanted to hear how people with big dogs had introduced their baby successfully and for any tips. It is hard to decide whether to introduce, or to keep them entirely seperate. Like some people have said, keeping them seperate could make the dog worse. Anyway Ive had a long chat with a dog trainer, and she is coming over to send some time with us as a family.

He's a big cutie!! He's like my dog - looks older than he is, my dog is 3 too. I can imagine him being a big lump of a thing!! Good lick with dog trainer. I reckon we might need a visit from one soon too - our terriers barking is driving me in sane! Can only imagine how annoyed I'll get when he wakes up baby!! It's pure attitude oozing out of him!!

I don't think people should keep their opinions to themselves, this is a forum for opinions and I think getting everyone's ideas and points of view can be very helpful????
People are going to have very differing views when it comes to animals (especially those of us who have a dog) just like we don't all agree about baby things.
I don't think anyone meant any offence.
At the risk of being told I'm being "harsh" for suggesting this... You said that he could stay with a relative on a farm?? When I introduced my dog to my lo's, my dog trainer said to do it on neutral ground. Could the dog and lo be introduced at your relatives place???
Maybe that would help??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back