Dogs and Babies - Long Post/Rant (sorry)

evemarie8

Reaction score
Sorry,

Not a nice topic I know considering recent news stories but this is worrying me. I don't have dogs myself as Brad and I decided we wouldn't get dogs of our own until we had finished having children and they were old enough for dogs to not be a threat to them. However, my mother in law has 2 Japanese Akita's (big husky like things) I have already put my foot down and made it clear before we even told her I was pregnant, that our baby(s) would not be allowed to visit her house whilst the dogs were there. I know this may sound a little extreme but this breed of dog is renowned for being vicious and grandmother or not it's not a risk I will ever be willing to take. This has caused unlimited problems between us and her (luckily I have Brads full backing on this one) but fortunately I am quite strong enough to look after myself. The problem that is worrying me though is that Brads sister who is younger than us had a baby last December and decided to move back in with her mom and the dogs. Her baby is now 4 months and they have started to introduce the dogs to her. Their given reason for doing this is that she will be wanting to crawl around soon and in their words "will be getting right in the dogs faces!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: What can I do, I am loosing sleep at night thinking my niece might get her face ripped off, but her mother and grandmother are completely oblivious to the risks (despite my constant asking them directly how they could let her anywhere near the dogs). I don't know how far to take my concerns? It's not like you can easily report your own family for putting a child at risk, but what if I don't ever do anything and my worse fears are realised?? I used to live with the dogs myself and love them dearly so I wouln't want anything to happen to them either but I do know them well and they both have risky temprements. Please advise?? :| :|

Totally with you on this one, my brother bought an Akita and I was furious, they have got a terrible reputation.
However, if they are properly trained they are much better and have incredible loyalty to the family they live with.

How's the baby's mom with the situation? if she's happy then there's not much you can do. Personally I'd be too nervous to let my child anywhere near one of those things, I wouldn't let my brothers one near Mason or Brody.

They are banned in some countries, does the child's mother know that?

i think the important question here is, 'what are the temprement of the dogs?'

if they have been known to be abit snappy. then this child should be nowhere near them.

i would not let my dogs to be alone with a child, but i would let them meet under controlled situations.

I love big dogs and have had in the past german shepards who are very intelligent , loyal, loving and easily trained.

However, they r still capable of attacking anyone and whilst this is something adults can accept and be prepared for themselves it is unwise to let a baby crawl around them.. what if the baby pulled its whiskers? The dog would probably react badly and to be honest i dont blame the dog I blame those that allow it to happen.

Keep the dogs, they r beautiful and intelligent creatures but never, ever let a baby/small child be in direct contact.. or worse alone. They must stay well away from each other

good luck trying to convince them :hug:

I should say I love big dogs too! We're getting a boxer, and I grew up with Alsations.

Akitas were bred for their loyalty and protection, if they accept the baby and are well trained then chances are things will be fine. I'd just be worried about taking that risk, however small it is.

I'm another big dog lover and have a german shepherd. We are lucky that she adores children and is dotty over Leorah and the feelings mutual but we are still well aware that when Leorah is crawling around and pestering Princess we have to be on full alert. Leorah already pulled Princess's fur hard and she quickly turned around but realised it was just Leorah but can you imagine if this happened when she was asleep and attacked as a reflex? It doesn't bear thinking about. We are making sure that Princess can jump the baby gate so she can get some peace and already try and teach Leorah to respect Princess and take her hand and stroke gently. You just can't be complacent in these situations.

I don't know what you can do about your niece. Can Brad have a big brotherly word with his sister? It's not fair to the dogs or the baby to be in this situation. I can see why you are worried, I am worried too :hug:

Questions you need to ask:

Are the dogs used to kids
Are they laid back temperament or a bit snappy
Are they 'dominant dogs'
Have they been trained well?

If they are not used to kids then my alarm bells would be ringing - as a crawling baby resembles a small furry animal....

If they are snappy temperament i'd be even more worried

If they have not been trained well and are dominant around the house then i would have real concerns - one on his own ok but two will work as a pack Akita's can be lovely soppy dogs, but they are very strong very powerful dogs, you only need to look at them to see that.
I would advise extreme care - they could live together with no problems at all but baby MUST NEVER for one milisecond be left on its own with them.

I love big dogs too, i was thinking about getting a boxer last year, but then i found out i was having another baby so i thought id leave it a few years then get one.
my mum has 4 terriers and they are really good with my children (considering they are getting old and were never used to children before my lot) but id never leave a child and a dog in the same room together alone, its just commen sense!!!

Both of the dogs are very well trained, even to the point that they know the house barriers and won't step over the point where the kitchen tiles meet the lounge carpet. There is no barrier there they just know they are not allowed to tread on the carpet, instead they just lay on the floor with the tips of there paws and noses at the very edge of the carpet. I do love the dogs alot but I just can't relax knowing that the baby is going to be around them all the time and my mother and sister in law are just so relaxed about the whole situation. It's very hard to watch them not worry as much as I would.
Although the dogs are so well trained, it's really the female that worries me as she becomes very possesive over toys and food. Both my mother and sister in law know not to let anyone near her while she is eating, but what if they ever forget, or the dog has left food in her bowl and they dont realise??
As you can probably tell by my over sized posts, this is really worrying me, Brad has tried to talk to them about it, as have I, but we are being totally ignored, I'm just glad I have Brad's backing when it comes to our little one. I know it sounds mean but I would be devastated if he put his mom's feelings in front of the safety of our baby, some things are just too important.

We have a big dog, she is a bull mastiff. She loves Thea and Thea loves her. Thea strokes her and Baileys will get up and walk away if she has had enough but they are never left alone together for a moment. baieys may be as soft as muck but any dog can turn.
Baileys has always be arounds kids which probably helps. My baby cousins used her a climbing frame and she did the same then when she had enough she got up and moved to where they couldnt follow.

Im not a fan of Akitas and I think I would feel the same way as you do about it. Mind you I know people thought we should rehome Baileys before Thea was born and I got quite defensive towards them when they said anything to me.

introducing dogs to babies is fine as long as the temperament of the dog is known and they are well trained, the process should be slow though taking one step at a time and under no circumstances should a baby or child be left alone with a dog. i bought my staffoe bull when my DD was 3 months old, so they have grew up together and she loves her too bits, i now have another puppy and he is used to being ragged by my daughter who is now 4yrs. i would still never leave my baby alone with these dogs, as well as my daughter but i know they are good and wudnt hurt anyone. it is the mothers decision whther she wants her child to be introduced to the dogs and all you can do is advice her about making sure her baby is safe. i know it must be really frustrating for you but what you think is putting a baby at risk she doesnt so you cannot really do anything but do let them know your concerns and do make it known if you think they are going about it the wrong way. hth hun sorry its a bit long xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back