Introducing a baby to my dogs...

floppit

Reaction score
I'm only just pregnant (coming up for 8 weeks) but I have one big worry I may need to plan well in advance for.

We have 2 dogs. One is a very large, good natured but clumsy lurcher. The other dog is a much bigger concern to me.

Jack is a patterdale rescued terrier who is very aggressive with cats, dogs he doesn't know and anyone who knocks at the door. On the flip side he has never even growled at anybody invited into the house, never fought with a dog he knows (actually he usually gets bullied a bit), and never nipped from losing his temper.

His dark side is very dark though - after numerous attempts to sort his behaviour out with strange dogs or cats eventually the only safe answer was to give up and ensure he doesn't meet them in the first place. I have been to 3 dog trainers over 10 years so it's not because we didn't try with him.

If he views the baby as part of the family all his history suggests he would be fine. But if he sees the baby as something to hunt or as a threat he wouldn't be safe.

I don't think trying to rehome him would be fair, he's very attached to the other dog, very difficult to keep and gets so stressed with big changes. There are a few people who know him really well and all are agreed putting him down would be fairer than rehoming him but it feels inconceivable to put him down before even seeing what he's like with the baby. On the other hand the risk of it going wrong is very scary.

I'd be interested to hear about any and all dogs reactions to the new babies and whether they had been around kids beforehand (Jack hasn't because I wasn't sure enough of his temperament).

I'm going to ask dog experts as well - this is just a start.

Gosh, difficult isn't it.

Six months ago I was in your shoes and bringing a baby back to a house which is also home to my rescue collie cross who also has a very dark side. She hates other dogs and is very mistrusting of humans until she knows you. I know she spent the first three years of her life tied to a tree having terrible things done to her by her so called 'owners'. Anyway I was worried how she was going to react to a tiny screaming baby but decided I had to try, give her a chance. I'm so glad I did she has been an absolute diamond.
We began by bringing home some blankets fronm the hospital that smelt of Evie and letting her smell them, I was in hospital for 3 days so it worked really well. The day we brought Evie home she was very interested and kept running up to her, we made sure they weren't left alone together. If I left the room so did the dog! Anyway after about a week the novelty completely wore off and the dog doesn't bother about Evie at all, in fact if I leave her crying she now runs to me to tell me!! I think the fact that your new little baby won't want to interact with the dog is a bonus, my dog doesn't know that she has a few years of tail pulling and being rolled over ahead of her!!! What I do know now is that when that time comes I totally trust her with Evie.

You will probably get two schools of thought on this one, those that say if you have ANY concerns its not worth the risk and those that say give it a go just be extra vigilant and aware at all times where your dog is in relation to your baby. I'm in the second camp.

No-one can tell you what to do, only you truely know your dog and whether you will be able to control it around your newborn. Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you.......

i think if you deal with properly there shoulnt be a problem. The getting used to smells with a blanket idea sounds good. i've got 2 dogs, one is a nervy collie cross lurcher (who i found being abused by some kids as a pup) My mum is worried and insists i dont leave them in a room alone (which i wouldnt anyway - more because the other dog is really clumsy) but most dogs have a really strong sense of "family" and i think most will accept kids. With wolves in the wild only the ALPHA FEMALE (i'm hoping thats me) breed pups and the rest of the pack help bring them up.

i personally woudn't trust any dog with a baby. if in doubt keep the dogs away from the baby. put them outside - build a kennel or something for shelter then let them in when the baby is tucked up safetly in bed.

We have a westie who we got as a 7 week old pup, and I was dreading her feeling left out with the new arrival...

We did a few things in preparation. We put the moses basket and stand by the bed a few weeks before the birth so Tilly got used to seing it there. AFter Ruby was born, I sent her first worn babygro home with OH so Tilly could sniff it and get used to Rubys smell.

Also, on the day we brought baby home, we made sure Tilly was out of the house. We settled in with baby, and then brought Tilly into the house. This is very important apparently as it shows dog the house isnt just their terriotory.

It took a few weeks to adjust but now they are best of buddies. Ruby is fascinated by her, she pulls her ears and Tilly just lies there gazing at her

I NEVER leave them alone though EVER.Not even for a second. I trust Tilly totally but she is a dog

There are some other good tips on the National Dog Trust website I think....

I would get hold of crying baby noise, play it weekly, if dog don't like baby crying it could stress him (obviously I hope your baby cries very little :wink: ) Invest in a gate, so you can be in one room with baby but so dog can't get in but can watch you with baby.

Most of the efforts to create a safe and loving environmant for both your new LO and your dogs will come after baby arrives but definitely place used nappies around the house where your dog goes, it sounds gross but it's how dogs work, scent. If the dog shows any interest in LO thats friendly, praise him like crazy, and never shout or chastize him if he goes near the LO and you didn't want him to, just calmly move away.

I would never leave a baby alone in a room with a dog, even my own dog, as they are still dogs and should they ever cross that line its really not worth thinking about but at the same time babies and dogs can live together harmoniously and a dog gives so much to a child, their relationship as LO grows will be beautiful, very best wishes :hug:

Thanks for all he replies. I'm going to track down a baby crying CD and will use the smell thing (bringing cloths home etc). That's if the dog folk also agree it's worth a try.

I have no plans to leave a baby with the dogs but I feel like I can't rely on that - I have to trust them as THOUGH I would without actually doing so. I feel that way because stuff can happen so quickly, hell a door that 'usually' stays shut can open, a dog can jump something not expected. If the baby and the dogs live in the same house I know that I can't bank on them never having contact while my back's turned.

I'm going to ring the woman we got the lurcher from, she's the best of the best re dogs - full time dog warden and runs lurcher rescue in her spare time! She's spot on and far more down to earth than a few of the 'experts' I've come across, she walks the walk rather than taking oodles of money to talk the talk.

I can't keep the dogs outside, we live on an urban street and with foxes out at night they would bark at all times - not to mention they are both 10+ years old and have lived inside all their lives, putting them both in a kennel now wouldn't be fair.

It's good to here the different experiences though, it gives me a picture of how dogs usually react and after all - although he's a little bugger he's still a dog first and foremeost.

We've got all this to come with Harley - luckily we've got a crate so she spends time in there. Could work for your dog too - their own little hiding place :)

I'm lucky as collies are great family dogs so Harley would probably protect LO, however if she shows any aggression towards LO then I would re home her

ive got 2 very boistrous border collies. ive put up a baby gate to the living room, so the dogs cant get near riley unless im aware of it.

i thought they would get very jealus of riley, as they were my world until riley arrived. but they have been good as gold. very curios of him, but i dont think they would every hurt him purposely.

mine are crated too, but at there age it may be too late for that.

as long as you have control over when they see him, there shouldnt be a problem :)

On the baby gate front - it wouldn't make a bit of difference, the terrier can jump my height (5' 10")!

His previous owner tried to crate him unsuccessfully, he demolished everything he was crated in - including a crate made for GSDs! He got so stressed being caged it made his behaviour worse not better.

Part of this is also figuring out if the changes will be fair on him too. With enough restrictions, eventually I could make it safe but if that makes both dogs lives miserable then it's not right. Jack doesn't settle to some things no matter how much time I've tried to give it, he'll injure himself trying to escape.

I haven't been able to get hold of the dog woman yet - she's usually very busy so there's nothing new there.

We had a 10 month old Puppy by the time our little boy arrived and we'd only had her for 5 months. She is a sweet little thing but with various fear issues (shelter dog too).

About 3 weeks before Will came, our dog lunged at and caught a 2 year old boy who had her cornered so you can imagine, we were beside ourselves with what to do.

Anyway, my Parents were staying so whilst we were in hospital they took care of Emma, paid her loads of attention so she wasn't feeling left out and fed and walked her etc. We got the first blanket that Will was wrapped in and took it home so she could sniff it and spend some time with it (it was really gross!) and we did that for the next few days whilst I was in the hospital.

When we brought Will home she was really interested, sniffing and trying to lick him and I tried to keep her at arms length and after a while she became less interested. She still sniffs at him and tries to lick him every now and again but she's become really cute wth him. She lies at my feet when I feed him, sticks her nose over the side of the moses basket to check he's there and often whines at me when he starts to cry.

Don't get me wrong, we're still not leaving her alone in his company but it al looks promising. Regarding the small child incident, we are getting one on one training for this as it could be an issue in the future.

Good luck with your dog, the baby will smell of you so he/she'll love you both!

Babies and dogs can work, it just takes a big effort in the begining to make sure the dogs routine is not too disrupted. There will obviously be some changes when a baby arrives but try to stick to the animals previous routine.

I have a nine year old staffordshire bull terrier who until Charlie came along had been my baby, I made sure she wasnt pushed out when we brought him home from the hospital, i let her sniff him for ages and after about 5 minutes she completely ignored him. I made sure she still got on my knee when i had time and i continued to walk her alone as well as out with the pram so she still had some of my undivided attention. Charlie is now 10 months and crawling about and she spends most of her time trying to escape him and he thinks the greatest game in the world is to try and grab her paw. Not once has she ever shown any sign of aggression even when Charlie managed to bite her ear (bad mummy thought her was trying to cuddle her!!)

Please dont give up before you try, yes it will be hard in the begining but your dogs are part of your family too.

Alison

Swan, Had your dog ever shown serious aggression before the baby? Jack has mauled cats and a couple of other dogs in his lifetime. The only way I could get him off was to physically pull his jaws open - THAT'S what scares me.

On the other hand he has never growled at or nipped a person - that's the dilema.

It's like 2 different dogs - with the dogs he knows and people he's the most reliable, least bolshy, biddable, sensitive, affectionate and gentle. He's never put a foot wrong in terms of aggression to anyone invited into the house or dogs within his group - even if they are giving him a rough time. He is also 100% reliable with vets etc despite being so scared he poops himself!

When he's frightened of another dog he doesn't know he's evil, when he sees a cat he just hunts.

Floppit, have you tried sitting him near a kids playground for a while or somewhere in view on small children and seeing what the reaction is? It might give you an idea of how he will react??

I think there might be something in that if I can figure out how to do it. Dogs aren't allowed in most kiddie parks and where they are allowed near there tends to be other dogs - which is a no no for Jack.

After having spent years trying to settle him the end answer was to just make sure he doesn't meet strange dogs - I know he goes for them and to allow that to happen to someone else's pet isn't responsible. I used to take him to nature reserves that have a dogs on leads policy (with him on a lead of course) but other owners ignore the rules and dogs still run up to us. Now he is walked on a racecourse where I have clear vision all the way round and at times other people don't go there. Of course that means he misses out on the human hubub of life too.

I'll have a think.

Roxy has only ever shown aggression to rabbits and the occasional cat, but she is a terrier and thats what they do. She is too old now to have any hope of catching a rabbit or cat but i have no doubt in her day if she had had the opportunity she would have torn a rabbit to shreds.

If your dog has never shown aggression to humans then i dont think you will have too much of a problem, as i said its just trying to keep a normalish routine for the dogs and not excluding them. The worst thing you can do is shut them away from the baby as this just means they will not understand what is going on. I am not denying its hard in the begining because you have to be super vigilant but once they get used to each other and lets face it in the begining the baby doesnt do much then i am sure they will get along fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back