Pedigree Dogs Exposed

poochielove

Reaction score
I am in shock watching this programme and its got me in tears. The Kennel Club are absolutaly disgraceful! How can anyone justify killing a puppy for 'cosmetic' reasons?! I am ashamed to have my Whippet KC registered. :cry:

haha ive just bored peter with my rant over this programme its disgusting.
the kennel club are bad. :evil:
allowing culling of healthy pups because of the way they look but yet they permit the breeders to sell and breed dogs with serious health problems because they're easy on the eye.
and the pics of the dogs years ago look nothing like the things that are about now.
the poor boxer with epilepsy :?
they said certain breeds should be in the same class as the pandas as an ENDANGERED species cause years ago they ran DNA tests on certain breeds and these days there is only 10% of the DNA left due to interbreeding.

sorry if ive bored anyone to tears :oops:

***vix*** said:
allowing culling of healthy pups because of the way they look but yet they permit the breeders to sell and breed dogs with serious health problems because they're easy on the eye.
and the pics of the dogs years ago look nothing like the things that are about now.
they said certain breeds should be in the same class as the pandas as an ENDANGERED species cause years ago they ran DNA tests on certain breeds and these days there is only 10% of the DNA left due to interbreeding.

Thats what it was about lol! It was horrible! Those poor pugs, their faces are so flat that they cant breathe properly. The stupid woman was like "oh well if they get over excited the skin goes down the back of their throat and all that happens is they pass out, its not as dramatic as it looks" !!!!!!

You didnt bore me Vix i was going mental and wouldnt stop going on about it to OH!!!

poochielove said:
***vix*** said:

Thats what it was about lol! It was horrible! Those poor pugs, their faces are so flat that they cant breathe properly. The stupid woman was like "oh well if they get over excited the skin goes down the back of their throat and all that happens is they pass out, its not as dramatic as it looks" !!!!!!

You didnt bore me Vix i was going mental and wouldnt stop going on about it to OH!!!

haha ive been going on about it today too :oops:

I was horrified by it as well but lets face it, the breeders in the programmer were not dog lovers, they just love the potential money a show dog can make them :(

i missed this but from what you ladies have said i think im glad i did might have damaged the TV otyherwise

I had planned to get a basset hound in the future, this has made me realise that I need to read about it really carefully.It was heartbreaking to see what we had reduced dogs to,especially the pug, peke and bulldog :(

It really was an eye opener, kind of what I thought working in the rescue business but still :shock:

I much preferred the pictures of the dogs from the early 1900's, they looked far less freakish. I love German Shepherds but there is no way I'd ever have one, seen far too many laying in agony unable to use their back legs :(

I just watched this today as I had recorded it on Sky +. My god it was sickening. I was sobbing watching that poor boxer have an epileptic fit.

My staff is a KC registered dog, and when we first had her she was very poorly, within the 1st 8 weeks of her life she was up and down the country seeing vets, her vet bills came to thousands, luckily we had insurance for her. We paid the breeders £350 for her, and at the time i knew nothing about breeders or anything, its only now when I think back on it I realise how bad the breeder was. He kept his dogs in a shed out the back, shadow (my staffy) was the runt of the litter and the last one left.

She has this problem (its got better as she got older) where when she concentrates or get excited her head lolls to one side and she looses balance and falls over. When she was a pup she wouldn't be able to get back up. We were terrified she had a brain tumor, or brain damage or something terrible. The vets explained that when she was born she had bacteria in the fluid surrounding the brain, and this causes her to have the problem, they did say she would hopefully get used to living with it, and she has, we dont notice anymore.

When we phoned the breeder to explain and to try and get some more info (parents, conditions she was born in, etc) he didnt care, his dogs hadnt seen a vet in 10years, not even for check ups when the mother dog was pregnant, and he said bring shadow back and we could have our money back. I knew there was no way we could do that as she would have ended up tied in a pillowcase and thrown in the river. :( :( Of course we kept her as we already loved her, and would never have given her up, even with her disability, it just mkaes her unique. But thats when my eyes were opened to what "pedigree" breeders are like. I'd never buy a predigree dog ever again. We got our second dog bandit from a rescue :D And if I ever have any more I'd definately opt for a rescue dog again.

All the interbreeding and problems/illnesses inherent in breeds and so on have been well known for years. I've been aware of most of the problems with flat faced dogs, the hip problems in many larger breeds, the internal ones in others. Pretty much almost every breed of pedigree dog has some defect/problem due to breeding. But people still buy pedigrees and pay big money for the latest fashionable breeds. Its become news via a TV docu finally but its been this way for decades.

FWIW I'd still only buy a pedigree if it was KC registered. And always see the mother (and dog if possible). Also where they are kept etc. I expect a good standard of hygeine and care of the dogs or else I'd not bother. You can usually spot the people only in it for the money easily. There are reputable breeders out there. All our dogs have come from decent ones. With great kennels, gardens and care. But also if I was buying a pedigree I'd also expect whatever problems known in the breed to be a possibility.

Cross breeds are generally less problematic with illness and health problems but are not immune from them.

I couldn't bare to watch it :( i knew it was going to be bad and i can't even watch rspca advertisments...i hate it when i hear about anyone hurting an animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back