AP programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanie

Reaction score
Have just seen this advertised in a tv mag

http://www.five.tv/programmes/hiddenlives/honeyisuckle/

Honey I Suckle the Kids
Nappies, cribs and caesareans: essential facets of modern parenting or damaging, isolating hindrances to a child’s development? This programme delves into a child-rearing phenomenon that intrigues and disturbs people in equal measure: ‘attached parenting’(AP). The couples we meet advocate prolonged breastfeeding, share the marital bed with children, carry their children in slings past walking age and live without nappies.

The attached parenting movement started in the US in the 1970s as part of the hippy counterculture. Its main aim was to bring child-rearing back to its ‘natural’ roots, fostering stronger bonds between parents and their children. Many peoples’ instant reaction is to turn their noses up at breastfeeding five-year-olds and recoil at the sight of a kitchen floor strewn with child poo, but the movement’s popularity is growing in America, with a new breed of adherents cropping up in the UK. These free-thinking parents believe strongly that children crave close bodily contact; all the props we use to make life cleaner and quieter merely sever this bond before the child is ready to tackle modern life alone.

First we meet American AP enthusiast Krista Cornish Scott and her husband Brett. Krista has dedicated herself 24 hours a day to her four-year-old son Aidan and nine-month-old baby Colm. Krista is clearly passionate about act of birth. She has two little knitted uteruses, gifts from her friends who regularly get together to drink wine, hang out…and coo over each other’s birth videos. These girls are firmly against any medical intervention in birth, marvelling that while vets understand that intervention is detrimental, human doctors are awfully keen to speed things along with their tools and gadgets. Krista describes cribs as ‘cages’ for babies and baby seats as ‘neglectomatics’. For Krista, full-time attached parenting is by far the best way to bond with her children, even though it commands all of her time.

In Northumberland, we meet Liz and Gary Cole, who have both given up their jobs to dedicate themselves full time to their three children, ranged between seven and two. Former secondary school teacher Liz has been breastfeeding almost consistently for seven years now and is currently nursing her two-year-old Catherine and four-year-old daughter Eleanor. Liz feeds the two on demand and as such must be in almost constant contact with them. She describes breastfeeding as “liquid love” and believes it is about so much more than getting milk into your child; it is their birthright and it fosters a strong and important bond between mother and child. “I do notice the fact that Liz has her tits out and it’s very rarely for me these days so I just stand in queue and pretend to be one of the girls!” Gary chuckles.

This country has one of the lowest nursing rates in Europe and Liz has become a breastfeeding counsellor, promoting the practice to new mothers. She does feel uncomfortable breastfeeding her four-year-old in public; she is adamant that this has nothing to do with other peoples’ perceptions, but regrets that she allows the discomfort to get to her. While the World Health Organisation states that children should be weaned around the age of 4, this is unacceptable in mainstream western society. As Gary and Liz argue, breasts are seen to exist primarily to attract men and sell papers these days, while their nurturing value is forgotten. The demanding Eleanor will have “boobie” for as long as she wants.

Liz and Gary proudly boycott mainstream schooling, feeling they cannot trust the system to educate their children in a practical, caring way. They take things one step further by opting for ‘unschooling’ - a practice whereby the child and not the adult dictate what they learn. These two even share the marital bed with their young’uns, though Gary initially had concerns about how this would affect his sex life. Well, they just have to do it very carefully and quietly. Gulp.

In Washington State, Karen Krueger gave up a high-powered job and swinging social life to dedicate herself full-time to her now four-year-old daughter Alya. As well as breastfeeding and home schooling, Karen insists on carrying Alya around in a sling, feeling that physical closeness and sharing her mother’s perspective are invaluable in the development of her child. She also believes in ‘positive discipline’, parenting by persuasion rather than chastisement. Karen’s husband Richard feels, however, that her attachment to her daughter is perhaps a little too intense and that they might both benefit from spending less time together. He even thinks Alya could benefit from going to a conventional school, feeling that the AP model might not prepare children properly for real life.

Perhaps the most controversially of all, some parents practice ‘elimination communication’, whereby parents reject nappies and try to anticipate their offspring’s every bowel and bladder movement. Krista is a passionate advocate of this, even decking her baby out in “I love EC” t-shirts. Wherever she goes, she makes the secret code noise then dangles her baby over a flower patch. Anticipating “the poop shiver” doesn’t always work, as we see from her poo-smeared kitchen floor. This demanding way of dispensing with nappies means that she must watch her younger son almost contantly to gauge when he needs to go to the toilet - sometimes as often as 30 times a day. It’s not for the faint hearted.

It really annoys me that whenever they do a programme about "alternative" parenting practices they have to find the extremes who make everyone look weird. Iit was the same with extreme breastfeeding. I try to be AP but I don't do elimination communication. However I carry my baby and plan to when they are a tofddler if they get tired. I can't see the difference between that and putting them in a buggy. And as for the extended breastfeeding, the average age is 4 across the world so they are not as extreme as the programme would like us to believe. I don't think I'll make it to 4 but I certainly plan on doing so til Seren is 2. Am hoping it will be a nice balanced programme with a few of the extremists but also ordinary people who AP and can clean their floor :roll:

i see what you mean about how extreme they make AP look.

but i do believe people get obbsesed with it all

eg
Krista describes cribs as ‘cages’ for babies and baby seats as ‘neglectomatics’. For Krista, full-time attached parenting is by far the best way to bond with her children,

thats just obbsesive. do they not get in cars for the fear of carseats.

i am the complete opposit im all for the new buggies cots disposible napies. im happy to be in 2006 and not 1800's

im all for bonding ect but to not put a baby in a buggy for fear they might not have a good bond :roll: i think some of the extream mothers have some kind of insecurity issiues going on.

i was in a "cage" as a child and had a pram ect and my bond with my mum is stupidly close :D

I agree Beanie....like that breastfeeding programme with loads of extreme people, eg the 9 (?) year old and the woman who let her husband have some (!!) but only one really "normal" breasfeeding mom, the girl campaining with her friends.

There are plenty of great ways to do AP without having your child permanently attached to your hip till they are a teenager :lol:

It sounds like a good programme but I know that'll be :wall: because of the way they represent AP types. But then it wouldn't be a channel 5 programme if it didn't cause controversy and make people look like nuts :roll:

It's on Monday night, 9pm Ch 5

Lucy

Aw I'm on holiday! Might record it though, I love programmes like that.

ooooooh now that my english sat is up and running i can watch that

dionne said:
i see what you mean about how extreme they make AP look.

but i do believe people get obbsesed with it all

eg
Krista describes cribs as ‘cages’ for babies and baby seats as ‘neglectomatics’. For Krista, full-time attached parenting is by far the best way to bond with her children,

thats just obbsesive. do they not get in cars for the fear of carseats.

i am the complete opposit im all for the new buggies cots disposible napies. im happy to be in 2006 and not 1800's

im all for bonding ect but to not put a baby in a buggy for fear they might not have a good bond :roll: i think some of the extream mothers have some kind of insecurity issiues going on.

i was in a "cage" as a child and had a pram ect and my bond with my mum is stupidly close :D

I agree with you Dionne - they do like to make things look extreme, but some people don't exactly help themselves.
I do try and use reusable nappies - but i also use disposables - as to be honest they are easier - than trying to chase baby round front room with a nappy nippa. - its hard enough changing nappies now Ewan is mobile!!

I have no problem with car seat - and having been in an accident with one already - i believe ir saved my son from potential injury (they probably don't have cars!)
I have no problem about Ewan being in a buggy, or a cot i think it teaches him a little independance. As Dionne said - i was buggied, cotted, and nappied!! and my bond with mum is fine, and i'm sure Ewan will be with me.

Every one to their own - it would be a boring world if we all did the same!

And don't get me started on Anti-4x4 people either! lol :D

Hypnorm said:

owwwwww no dont get me started either :| can just see then now sitting round trees hugging them :lol:

iv nothing against AP to a certain extent. but i do think some of the extrem ones are obsesive and i think i can ruin a child. a baby needs to learn to be independant.

i love the new baby gadits ect makes a mothers life easier

dionne said:
Hypnorm said:

owwwwww no dont get me started either :| can just see then now sitting round trees hugging them :lol:

I don't get that! Can you clarify that for me please! A 4x4 is a vehicle, right... where does the tree hugging come into it? Just curious! :D

Anyway - the way I read the article, is that the seats are not "carseats", but seats/chairs in general. Bouncy chairs in specific. These folk might be alternative, but I don't think they're that stupid that they'll risk their childs' life for not wanting to use carseats. I am sure that they referred to bouncy chairs, as we often just pop our babies in there, and get on with housework, dinner, etc... and occassionally pop round the door to see if they're still ok.

Someone on this forum once referred to BF groups (not in so many words), as groups where 30 something old women get their tits out, wear jesus sandals, don't shave their legs and eats veggie paste on gluten free bread!
Potentially, I'm one of them.... :cheer:
I am 30 odd (nearly 37 sshhhh), I do get my tits out, I wear reasonably NORMAL sandals (in summer), I shave my legs (when I have time) and I love veggie paste on gluten free bread... BUT, I don't look any different to any of you lot on here.
I regard myself as alternative, but trust Channel 5 ... always digging up the strangest people!

Emilia xx ... (off to roll my joint before Oscar wakes :rotfl: )

I don't get that! Can you clarify that for me please! A 4x4 is a vehicle, right... where does the tree hugging come into it? Just curious!
yes i shall clarify that for you
pinkdance2.gif

save the earth people - who drive little 950cc cars or run them on chip fat!!
because us 4x4s are diesel guzzling, poluting tanks!!
:roll:

and the bit i said about carseats, if they are so extreme calling cots cages i very much dout they would buckle their child down in a car seat. infact i bet they, wouldnt drive atall

I don't look any different to any of you lot on here
i dont get that are you insulted bu what im saying about these extreme AP women???

Each to their own i say! Id love me and the DH to quit our jobs and devote our life to Charlotte.....but realisically that would never happen. And to those of you on this forum who are still BF, and use cloth nappies etc HATS OFF TO YOU! I think your all fab, well done! I couldnt be doing with the 'Quiet and careful lovemaking' though so as not to disturb the 7 year old at the side of us in bed!!!!!

I'm not a fan of 4x4's but not because I want to save the planet I just find them pointless unless you need the space because you have a big family. :angel:

'Quiet and careful lovemaking' though so as not to disturb the 7 year old at the side of us in bed!!!!!

i never seen that bit :shock: i havnt read it all i cant concentrate for that long :lol:
but i do find that freaky. i would never make love when dior was in her cot next to us. just wierd :puke:

Id love me and the DH to quit our jobs and devote our life to Charlotte

hels you have well had me confussed i was thinking huuh :doh: whos charlies mum?? i thought hels was. then i thought hey ui thought hels got married :doh: :doh: :doh:

really confused me for a min then so i searched charlie and seen her pics and realised its her nic name :oops: im easily confussed. but whats going on with the ticker????

Dionne... I'm not offended dah-ling!! :wave:

Just remarking about the media always making normal alternative people look wacky!

As for 4x4's.... I honestly don't see the point of having a 4x4 in town or city. Farm, sure. It's not like you're going to get stuck in the mud in your high street! And then the "bull bars" on the front.... just in case there's a bunch of kangaroos on the run!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I say... leave the 4x4 in the farm yard!! * waving the white flag*

Sorry for offending anyone with a 4x4.... I do love you! :hug:

Emilia xx

emilia said:
As for 4x4's.... I honestly don't see the point of having a 4x4 in town or city. Farm, sure. It's not like you're going to get stuck in the mud in your high street! And then the "bull bars" on the front.... just in case there's a bunch of kangaroos on the run!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

I say... leave the 4x4 in the farm yard!! * waving the white flag*

Sorry for offending anyone with a 4x4.... I do love you! :hug:

Emilia xx

No offence taken..

I do agree with what you said about 4x4s int he city - in the middle of london you don't get much mud!!
And sport 4x4s theres no point to them coz they are crap for off road driving!

I have a 4x4 frontera - which we got as our drive is so steep we kept hitting our estate bumper or tow bar all the time - we now don't have that problem, we also needed some thing that can cope with the weight of my hubbys tools from his van - for just incase it breaks down and there is no spare van to use.

We also travel to scotland where hubbys parents live down a farm track.
so we need something with room, power, ground clearance and comfort.

Some people have them as a status symbol - at least i can say i have taken mine off roading!!

Ahhh bless ya Dionne!! Are you with it now???? Charlie/Charlotte my Daughter...Hels/Helen..and I have a DH now! Woohhoo!!
I really like 4x4's and we have one (all be it a 1964 Landrover, which is mainly used for DH hobby of off roading) it is gas converted, so a little better. The bull bars are a waste of time, and i think you are 20 times more likely to kill a pedestrian with them on your car (dont quote me tho!!)

You obviously need it, but like you say, some folk just love the look!
Anyway - you'll need the Frontera for when you come back from Scotland, cause you would have a load of Tunnocks teacakes just for me!!! :hug: :hug:

Emilia xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111