2 days old.

LauraMummyToBe

Reaction score
My god Daisy is brilliant, barely cries but since she's been on light therapy for her jaundice she's been a madam.

Having a pretty bad night with her, she's had me up stirring all night really. She's feeding a lot more frequently too which is annoying because I'm getting no sleep. She's pooping a lot too which is no bad thing but I'm having to get up about every hour either to feed her, cuddle her or change her.

My breasts are so sore too which isn't helping with the sleep. Anyone got any tips on the following:

Soothing sore breasts?
Helping Daisy sleep a little better? (can't get her out too much due to the light therapy)
Feeding her more effectively so she takes an entire 30mils in one sitting? She keeps stopping at about 15mils, I'll wind her get it all up and start again but she doesn't suckle. She just pushes it away. :/
What am I doing wrong? I've tried skin-skin feeding, laying her on my knees in a blanket, feeding her lay on my side, feeding her whilst she's on her favourite blanket?
Any advice would be brilliant as it's 5:55am and I'm due visitors at 12! I wanna be able to look alive and do stuff with them as I have my OH's two other kids coming to meet their baby sister. I suppose if push comes to shove I can take a nap and let Daisy's daddy take over? :/ xxx

Honestly - she's 2 days old, its all very normal. Just give it some time and she will settle.

Aaron was very restless when he had light therapy too, unfortunately, its a case of man up and wait for it to pass.

Hope you get some sleep soon xx

The sleep isn't a massive issue really, it's more the other things. I've been awake since 5am and I don't mind because I know my baby needed me. :) xx

My god Daisy is brilliant, barely cries but since she's been on light therapy for her jaundice she's been a madam.

Having a pretty bad night with her, she's had me up stirring all night really. She's feeding a lot more frequently too which is annoying because I'm getting no sleep. She's pooping a lot too which is no bad thing but I'm having to get up about every hour either to feed her, cuddle her or change her.

My breasts are so sore too which isn't helping with the sleep. Anyone got any tips on the following:

Soothing sore breasts?
Helping Daisy sleep a little better? (can't get her out too much due to the light therapy)
Feeding her more effectively so she takes an entire 30mils in one sitting? She keeps stopping at about 15mils, I'll wind her get it all up and start again but she doesn't suckle. She just pushes it away. :/
What am I doing wrong? I've tried skin-skin feeding, laying her on my knees in a blanket, feeding her lay on my side, feeding her whilst she's on her favourite blanket?
Any advice would be brilliant as it's 5:55am and I'm due visitors at 12! I wanna be able to look alive and do stuff with them as I have my OH's two other kids coming to meet their baby sister. I suppose if push comes to shove I can take a nap and let Daisy's daddy take over? :/ xxx

BIB, God you have a way with words Laura!!!

She is a 2day old baby for Christ sake what did you expect??

Sorry to be harsh but you need to stop thinking about yourself and think about your baby.

Also just so you know it isn't going to get easier anytime soon... Newborns rarely sleep for long periods....

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you expected when having a baby. Most babies that age behave the same way. If you're really struggling then hand over to oh and get a couple of hours sleep.
The first 6 weeks are hell, things settle down a after then.
My lo is 2.5 and still doesn't sleep through every night so you're in for a shock if you're expecting to get a lot if sleep once you've had a baby.

James eventually settled down to having about 3 hours in the evening (when he was about 3-4 weeks)

I used to leave him in living room with OH and go to bed for a few hours.

In those early days though James was with me 24/7.

It's a scary time for them, they need their mummy.

I'm still getting no sleep and my little man is 13 months old, that's babies for you!

Aaron was a good sleeper as a newborn but that was because he was so unwell ... he's making up for it now :brat:

Soothing sore breasts?

BIB, God you have a way with words Laura!!!

She is a 2day old baby for Christ sake what did you expect??

Sorry to be harsh but you need to stop thinking about yourself and think about your baby.

Also just so you know it isn't going to get easier anytime soon... Newborns rarely sleep for long periods....

^^wss!!!!

Only read half your post and stopped cause I was annoyed. Newborns can feed every hour. They also poop a lot. What did you expect?

Also 30mls is a LOT for a newborn!! Has nobody told you how small their stomachs are at that age?

You need to go a bit easier on her. She is only a tiny baby adjusting to this big scary world and last thing it needs is a big scary mummy

I don't think you will get much sleep anytime soon! X

Awww hun those first few weeks are so hard, it's a shock to the system but it will get easier in time. She's learning how to feed so I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. Just keep persevering. It wasn't clear from your post , are you breast feeding? If so then it can take time to get used to it and it does hurt but is very worth it! Lansinoh lanolin nipple cream was a life saver and really helps with sore nipples. Try and enjoy her as much as you can, although I know it's hard on little to no sleep! Xxx

I find it kinda funny how people are sort of having a go as if I'm being a bad mother, I'm new to this as are a lot of women I know, I simply asked a question of concern! I shouldn't even have to say "I'd do anything for Daisy" even if it means silly morning wake ups that's my job. And as for the ladies saying 30mils is a lot, maybe you'd understand why she's taking that if you read my post again. She has jaundice, therefore she wasn't eating much at all to begin with, she was taking 10mils which isn't enough. She's now on 30mils as she's making up for the food she didn't get when she was first born, so before people assume I'm over-feeding my child, now you may understand that I'm not but I'm sure you'll find something else to tell me is wrong and selfish of me.
I asked these questions for support and to see others ways of doing things to see if your way would work with my baby. But obviously it seemed a better idea to jump on my back. Thanks. (Y)

As for the helpful people, I really appreciate it. As a new mother every bit of reassurance is appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Baby Bean, no I'm bottle feeding. Daisy didn't latch you see.
I am so full it is hurting to even bend over because they are so heavy!! So I'm looking for tips to make the load easier to work with. :/ xx

I think the problem is with the language you used - you said it was "annoying" - how else are people supposed to take that?

Also, Aaron had jaundice at birth and didn't eat for the first 48 hrs. He never had to "make-up" for what he missed out on? She is proabably stopping at 15mls, because she is full. She may be grizzly because she is so full too? Imagine eating a giant 3 course meal, then going to bed - it wouldn't be comfortable. Try and take her lead with regards to feeding - at 2 days old she is still adjusting to the big bad world, and unfortunately sleep has to be put to one side for a while.

I don't know about your boobs, because I expressed for Aaron? I think Cabbage leaves are supposed to help?

If you are finding it hard, get Daddy to take over for a while and get some rest. Things are a lot easier when you have had a few hours sleep x

I find it kinda funny how people are sort of having a go as if I'm being a bad mother, I'm new to this as are a lot of women I know, I simply asked a question of concern! I shouldn't even have to say "I'd do anything for Daisy" even if it means silly morning wake ups that's my job. And as for the ladies saying 30mils is a lot, maybe you'd understand why she's taking that if you read my post again. She has jaundice, therefore she wasn't eating much at all to begin with, she was taking 10mils which isn't enough. She's now on 30mils as she's making up for the food she didn't get when she was first born, so before people assume I'm over-feeding my child, now you may understand that I'm not but I'm sure you'll find something else to tell me is wrong and selfish of me.
I asked these questions for support and to see others ways of doing things to see if your way would work with my baby. But obviously it seemed a better idea to jump on my back. Thanks. (Y)

As for the helpful people, I really appreciate it. As a new mother every bit of reassurance is appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Baby Bean, no I'm bottle feeding. Daisy didn't latch you see.
I am so full it is hurting to even bend over because they are so heavy!! So I'm looking for tips to make the load easier to work with. :/ xx

You don't make things any better????

It's either your choice of words, or your attitude??

It isn't easy Laura, in-fact its the hardest thing you'll ever do..

The fact is in these early days you simply muddle through. Routines / making life easier doesn't exist just yet. You simply get through it hour by hour.

I am sorry once again to be harsh, I just find you so defensive and the way you phrase things really odd!! Most mummies feel like shit to begin with that is a given but the way you posted just seemed a bit resentful??

Afterthought: If you are properly struggling don't be afraid to ask for help, its common to feel quite down after giving birth so maybe that is reflected in what you posted???

Last edited:
Yes I understand what you're saying, I apologise for being so snappy it was uncalled for. I am in no way resentful, my Daisy is my life, do anything for her. Suppose today I just got a little overwhelmed and jumped a few guns.

You're right it isn't something you can plan day-day, it is a plod on kind of scenario.

The pain I'm experiencing with my chest is just terrible, I've recently spoken to my midwife and I decided to do something to help other mothers also myself. I'm going to express my milk and give it to the poorly premature babies downstairs that aren't getting enough nutrition. It'll take the weight off me yet it will help another child and mother through their daily struggles.

Sorry once again Carnatt.
I do need to rephrase some times. Xx

Don't worry Hun the first few days will be difficult and a blur.

Don't be afraid to ask your oh to take over for a few hours. There's nothing wrong with that.

I found my baby fed best laid on my knees with my legs bent if you know what I mean?

I too found some replies quite harsh tbh. Yea you may not have a great way with words but it was obvious you were looking for advice. Nothing can prepare you for having a baby and the first few days will be a shock to the system.

Sorry Laura, I feel so mean and that wasn't my intention.

Believe me I know how hard it is. We all do.

The boobs I am afraid you are just going to have to grin and bear, they will start to feel better soon but there is nothing that you can really do. Just wear loose clothing, although you may find a supportive bra help?? It's trial and error.

As for the lack of sleep, in the early days it is the worst as that is when you have most of your visitors. However you must try to sleep when baby sleeps. Even a 30 minute power nap can help.

As I say once James used to go down for a good few hours I'd leave him in his carrycot in living room and I'd go to bed for a few hours in the evening.

Baby is still teeny and it takes them a while to adjust to being outside. It is a big, bright, noisy, smelly, scary world and it can be totally overwhelming for them... Lots of cuddles helps :lol:

The milk issue is also trial and error. If she only takes a little milk then so be it. Newborns prefer little and often so expect some waste. Baby will let you know when she is hungry.

I know that you love your baby, I just found a few of your posts badly phrased. Whilst we all have moments when we feel stressed we have to be sensitive to the fact that not everyone gets to bring home their babies??

xxx

Last edited:
Awww bless you, the expressing you suggested for others sounds amazing. You could also consider expressing for your lo if that's a route you wanted to take. I've heard cabbage leaves can be soothing or if you just need to empty them out a bit then hand expressing in a warm shower can help, similar to if you have mastitis. Good luck hun xxx

To combat the tiredness in the newborn days oh used to do the first night feed and I'd do the second feed.
As I said before the first 6 weeks are a nightmare. Hormones are all over the place, you're tired, you're having to get to know this whole new person and are having to learn what the different cries mean. As your confidence grows you'll start to feel better, but for the meantime just enjoy the cuddles. Lo won't be so small for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back