Zita West Vs SMEP?

JeezLouise

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Finally got over the fact that I was two days late last cycle when I'd convinced myself I was going to get my BFP. Frikkin witch messing with my head! I was planning to do SMEP this cycle but I bought Zita West's Guide To Getting Pregnant off amazon and she says that the most important thing is to have as much sex as possible.

The book says the idea of sperm losing its quality if you have sex every day is nonsense and gives these research figures for getting preggo.

Sex once a month - it will take 43 months to get pregnant.
Sex three times a month - takes 15 months.
Sex ten times a month - 5 months.
Sex more than 15 times a month - 3 months.

I was all set to do SMEP but I'm not so sure now. Has anyone got any thoughts/experiences with either?

Love and luck,
Lou xx

I tried SMEP for first time this cycle, due to lots of reports of success on here.

We bd'd on CD8,10,12,14,16,17,18,20 (my surge was on CD16) and now it's tww time.

When I caught in November, that was our fifth month of NTNP, and we only bd'd once that month on CD9 due to hubby being away and me being really ill.

The short answer is I have no idea, but I do know I couldn't cope with 15 times a month - it would just start to feel like a chore tbh!

Good luck, whatever you decide.xx

Thanks for the info, mishi. Fingers crossed for your BFP, looks like you followed SMEP to the letter. We've been trying for three cycles but not really following a particular pattern or plan, just wanted to step things up a gear. Honestly, the more research you do when TTC the more confusing it gets!

Love and luck,
Lou xx

The month we went nuts and had sex 7 days in a row (around Ov time) was horrible!!

It was stressful, took all the fun out of sex and needless to say we didn't get a BFP.

The cycle after we calmed down and hey presto!!

Having sex 15 times a months is a figure open to a lot of interpretation... Does this mean you dtd every other day for 30 days. Or do you cram in all 15 times around ovulation?

Neither way seems ideal to me?

xxxxxxxxxx

No problem lovey.xx

Carnat I wondered that too :lol: every second day or lots and lots of sex mid(ish) cycle?

Either way I think I'd have to scrape hubby off the floor :faint: xx

The general idea she seems to be getting across in the book is that ideally it should be relaxed approach where you have lots and lots of sex across the cycle because you want to, rather than obsessing about dates and ovulation and what not...yet then there's all the stuff about knowing when you're ovulating and temping etc.

She talks a lot of sense and has some funny stories about couples she's helped but like sooooo much of TTC advice it all seems to be a bit contradictory...relax (but make sure you have lots and lots of sex around ovulation)...don't get hung up on supplements and food/drink (but avoid drinking/smoking and processed food|)...don't have sex just to conceive (but make sure you do it at the right time)...It's a really interesting book written in a friendly style but there's nothing absolutely concrete in the advice, it all just seems to depend on what works for you as a unique couple.

I'm going to try temping for the first time and I'll chat to DH tonight about whether he'd rather do SMEP, Zita West, neither or a bit of both, or just see how we feel day to day (probably the last one). Whatever we decide, I'm not testing until after AF is due, I will only use a digi and I will not fall to pieces if it's a BFN like last week!

Lou xx

Oh I'm also going to do IC OPKs because they do actually work for me around CD13-15, unlike a lot of people I know. In the book, she mentions a woman who was using OPKs at the directed time and never had a positive. She was on the verge of starting IVF, convinced she wasn't ovulating. When she took a case history, the woman mentioned her periods were 8 days long, but the last two days were just brown-tinged EWCM. She just thought that was normal at the end of periods, but it turned out she was ovulating on CD 7-8 and hadn't realised because she didn't think it was possible. If she'd used temping and/or OPKs throughout her cycle she would've known...so I've started temping and OPKs today, just in case I get a wonky cycle!

Lou xx

The months we tried and had sex loads we didn't catch. The one we did where both of us weren't feeling up to it and decided not to try that month we caught. We had sex once around ov time and really enjoyed ourselves instead of feeling like we were doing this to make a baby iykwim.

x

Hey sorry can someone explain the Smep to me please? I know the sex every other day until OV then 3 in row but is it the day you get the strong positive OPK?

Hey sorry can someone explain the Smep to me please? I know the sex every other day until OV then 3 in row but is it the day you get the strong positive OPK?

Yep that's pretty much it hun as far as I'm aware, plus another day off after the three days in a row and one final go. Start the three days as soon as you get your positive OPK. Are you going to try it?

Lou xx

Yes love thought give that a go with the c + lube thing lol worth a shot I suppose :) I get a line on day 17 then gradually get darker and darker when do u start the 3 days? From the first sign of a positive or the darkest? I did the dates (how sad) looks like i could be BD 4 days in row? Sorry loads of questions lol

Last edited:
I don't agree with zita wests idea unless u know for sure ur partners sperm r up for it. If he has a nornal count/morphology etc every day during the fertile time is ok but if its less than normal u need to do it every 2-3 days instead to give the sperm time to get ready basically. My private consultant tells me that every 2-3 days is more than adequete.

Itsababytime...my gynaecologist agrees with you. Ive been told do it every 2 days so like BD monday then thursday then sunday then wednesday etc...

BUT we have been trying the SMEP and its SO hard as my oh works shifts and I get tired really quickly cos of my medication im on.

Just do w.e best for you and your oh.

X

This month my fella and I BD'd every single day for 9 days over my ovulation time. Im doubtfull it will work but God damn did we have fun trying :p

I know it was probably not the best way to ttc but hell it only takes 1 tadpole to make it through so Im crossing my fingers hehe

Thanks for all the advice girls. We decided to split the difference and BD'd every 36 hours,so:
Sat PM
Mon AM
Tue PM
Thu AM

Had pos OPKs Tue PM, Wed AM/PM and Thu AM but just done one and it was negative, so I'm guessing I've OV'd today? Might just sneak an extra BD in this evening!

Love and luck,
Lou xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back