Where do you plan to give birth?

I wish I was brave enough for a homebirth but I am too much of a wimp and a worrier! I am going to Princess Royal Maternity Hospital which is a major maternity hospital in Glasgow. I want the drugs the second I go into labour! :D

Tillytots said:
Im planning a homebirth :D really hope everything goes to plan Im soooo excited! :cheer: people were concerned about first time mums opting for a homebirth in another thread...these are the reasons I gave...

Tillytots said:
Im planning a homebirth for a first time as I dont plan on anything going wrong. Im not scared about giving birth one bit - its completely natural. Yes you can argue that no-one plans for things to go wrong but in the invent that anything should I can be transfered to a hospital. If things do go wrong in first time Mums they tend to do so in a very slow manner so there would be plenty of time to asses the situation. I could be transfered for slow progress in labour or in an emergency I would also be transfered but no time will be lost in this as even if I was at hospital it would take them 30mins to prepare for an emergency c-section....and they would be ready for when I got there which would be 20mins.

I dont see how it matters whether you have had no babies or 8 tbh...every single birth is different so you couldnt possibly know if it would be low risk or not.

As for pain relief, Im fully prepared for it to hurt like hell but pain never killed anyone! No-one NEEDS an epidural. Its a few hours of almighty pain....and with each passing contraction Il be nearer to my baby and thats what will get me through. You can laugh at me if you like but Im sure my outlook and attitude is going to help me immensely through birth.

I feel very strongly that birth is natural. As soon as you step into a hospital you become a medical case. You have to fit into their schedule and things arent allowed to progress naturally. In my eyes its all very wrong and so many people have horrid experiences when it is completely unecessary. I will be so much more relaxed at home and I can do things in MY time.

On the other hand there are people like missjennipenni who without hospital treatment would've lost their babies but these cases are very rare.

Up until about 30years ago everone had their babies at home, my family did and they back me 110%

ETA: Also with a homebirthyou have much more choice...you can decide to labour at home and then deliver at hospitalright at the last minute whereas if you're stuck in hospital you cant say "ok Id like to go home now please" :lol:

Id much rather be at home, hospitals just freak me out, I wont feel comftable and Il doubt myself whereas if Im relaxed Il have total faith in my body to deliver my baby :D

I agree with all your reasons Tilly, you seem very well-informed and I wish you all the luck in having an all-natural home-birth, if baby is fine and your pregnancy is normal and low-risk you have a very good chance of having the birth you desire. Well done hun and good luck! :clap: :clap:

Meg xx

I want a water birth, but still undecided about whether to have it at home or the maternity unit.

At home there is the hassle of having to get my own pool, fill it, empty it (though OH will obviously have that job!)

At the maternity unit they have a pool there but if someone's already in it when I'm in labour I can't have a water birth, also there's only two beds so if they're both taken it's off to hospital for me which I really don't want.

Going to discuss it with midwife tomorrow. When I've mentioned a home birth before she just said 'we can't do that here' and tried to sell the maternity unit to me :(

Have been doing some research online and have decided to go for a homebirth. Two big obstacles though!

1. Convince stingy NHS to let me have a homebirth, I'm sure when I mention it tomorrow they'll try and talk me into mat unit to save them hassle.

2. Convince OH to buy me a birth pool and fill it and empty it for me, though I think considering I have to push his son out of my poor little foo foo I have automatically earned the right to one!

Having thought about it there is nothing at the mat unit I cannot get at home, infact there's more for me at home as it's familiar, comforting and less likely to send me into a panic. If I do have to go to hospital for some reason the journey is shorter by 15 mins from my house. It makes sense!

YAY!! Aww I really hope you get a homebirth MM! and everyone else thats planning one :D

thanks Meg btw :)

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back