• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birth plan - anyone thinking that far ahead?

Do you have to have a birth plan????

No, you don't have to, but I think it's a good idea if there's anything definate you want in place. You might not be thinking 100% straight in labour! If there's nothing you particularly want though, you don't need to have one.

im not sure if its the same in different areas but down here we cant get in the pool till at least 4/5 cm dilated and and usually there isnt enough time for an epi once you have done a few hours in the pool.

with my first baby i had an epi, which resulted in me with legs in stirrups having somebody tell me when to push and i couldnt feel much at all. i had a very bad tear and bled badly. then the alarm was pushed and doctors came in to shove dressing up my bits to stop the bleeding enough to sew me up lol... very dramatic.
however with my 2nd baby i went natural and had a very calm controlled water birth, i felt all my contractions and when to push and i pushed far more effectively because i could feel it. i didnt tear and i wasnt very sore after which was great.
i have to say out of both my previous labours id choose the natural option all the time.
my first was medicalised and trumatic and i fear having to lay in a hospital bed with a catheter in and an iv in my arm and the hb machine and the blood pressure monitor going off every 30 mins. i couldnt move at all. it scared me.

although on the other hand the epi literally made my contractions pain free in fact i was bored through my labour and took all the fun out of it lmao xxxx
enjoy making your birth plans they are fun xxxx

ive kinda been against epis's and will only have one if needed, however the lack of control is the part i dont like and being told when to push, surely thats cheating slightly x

Cheating?!
For me, something that takes away or even reduces the pain can only be a good thing! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I too would like a water birth, hopefully with the option of coming out and having pethidine if necessary - I dont fancy an epidural. First time round (which was 20 years ago!) I delivered flat on my back with pethidine. My son was quite large (91b 8oz) and I had an episiotomy and rather a lot of stitches afterwards. Thing is, it could all change at a moments notice lol! x

9lb 8oz?????????????
*faints*

Cheating?!
For me, something that takes away or even reduces the pain can only be a good thing! X

Haha! I've always thought of epis as cheating a bit too and I feel they over-medicalise a very natural thing, but it truly is each to their own and as long as mum and baby are OK that is all that matters! I am pretty good with pain though..It is very much mind over matter for me, so maybe that is why I'm scared of the pain. Think I'd be bored too if I couldn't feel anything and want to be able to control my own labour as much as possible rather than being told when to push etc x

Well I've said it before in this thread, I wouldn't allow the dentist to pull a tooth without pain relief, so I'm not about to voluntarily go through labour without it lol.

I'm not going in with an agenda, as such, happy to do what they feel is best for me and baby.

I was chatting to my mw about the birthing pool though and quite fancied a shot of that but have the actual delivery put of the pool.

Oh, just typing that makes it all seem so real now lol x

im so bad when it comes to pain, i hate needles with a fear although maybe its starting to get better and seeing big butch men faint with epi's puts me off, the pain will have to be extrmeely unbearable for me to consider it.
However its the unknown and anything can happen, time wil tell what happens x

ive done mine already its in with my notes.
ive not got much requests really, just a bath and a bouncy ball! lol
i printed one rom gurgle.com and filled it in x

Well I've said it before in this thread, I wouldn't allow the dentist to pull a tooth without pain relief, so I'm not about to voluntarily go through labour without it lol.

Hehe that made me laugh that's exactly what the midwife said to me after I had my son!!!!!!! I never thought of it that way but I hate the dentist!!!!!!!

I really would urge anyone who's completely against an epidural that they are not as bad as the horror stories you hear. I had a badly fractured and dislocated ankle fixed with metalwork with a spinal so i was wide awake and it was fine!!!!

I want the whole thing in the pool, always have, but especially now because of my spd. If I struggle I will come out for pethidine, but I can't have an epidural either way.
It has been hinted on several occasions that I may be taken early for various reasons, so if I'm induced my water birth may go out the window!! Planned c-section is also a possibility because of spd but I'd rather avoid that if possible xx

With out sounding rude or thick, what is spd? X

Hehe that made me laugh that's exactly what the midwife said to me after I had my son!!!!!!! I never thought of it that way but I hate the dentist!!!!!!!

I really would urge anyone who's completely against an epidural that they are not as bad as the horror stories you hear. I had a badly fractured and dislocated ankle fixed with metalwork with a spinal so i was wide awake and it was fine!!!!

I'm not against epidurals, just know I want as natural a birth as possible :) I work on an orthopaedic ward where most of the patients who have joint replacements have it done under spinal so I know they are no problem, I'm just probably a bit wierd as actually want to experience every bit of childbirth as nature intended!

I'm not against epidurals, just know I want as natural a birth as possible :) I work on an orthopaedic ward where most of the patients who have joint replacements have it done under spinal so I know they are no problem, I'm just probably a bit wierd as actually want to experience every bit of childbirth as nature intended!

I was doubting an epidural because a) it's a needle into my spine (eeek!) and b) the negative press they get but hearing you say this has made me think again about them. Since this thread started I've been changing my mind about them.

Think I'll have an 'ideal' plan set out but not beat myself up if it doesn't happen that way xx

Epidurals are very safe..they are a routine form of anaesthesia these days..so I guess it's just a personal chouce :) I don't like the idea of not feeling my baby being born and there is also an increased risk of needing an assisted delivery simply because you may not be able to push as effectively with an epidural x

With out sounding rude or thick, what is spd? X

Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction, also known now as Pelvic Girdle Pain. It's a condition some pregnant women get that means their joints and ligaments are affected by the pregnancy hormone so much that they don't support the body properly and you end up in a ton of pain. It's not pleasant, but thankfully most women don't get it! xx

I wrote in my birth plan that I wanted to use the pool and do natal hypnotherapy to manage the contractions. Gas and air at a push.

I ended up having every type of drug available :lol:

Having said that, had my pains not lasted 48 hours and I'd progressed at a normal rate then I reckon I would have achieved my goal.

The tens machine was good in early labour.

Ps- my epidural did not work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back