share your birth plan

lillou

Reaction score
hi ladies, i have thought about what id like to include in my birth plan and i am putting it together this week so i am prepared and organised.

i seen a thread ages ago where people shared their plans and thought it was a brill idea!

just wondered if anyone would like to share their birth plan? i know its a personal thing so would understand if you didnt want to though :hug:

no just kidding although that would be one of the plans...

Ideally i would like it to be drug free, but im not sure how possible that will be seeing as ppl tell me it hurts like a mother...

I wanted to have a waterbirth as i liked the idea of the privacy and i found water a huge p[ain relief in the earlier part of my pregnancy in the 1st trimeister...

I guess i'll have to read what others will write too as it could all change onn the day...

Hopefully some kind god from above will allow me to be 10cm dialated upon arriving at the hosital and he pops out in 20mins but who knows...

:lol: :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl:
You girls have it sussed!!

My first brith plan with DS was all dark room, candles and whale music (Id done a huge placement and theory section during my nurse training months before and thought this labour lark was a doddle :roll:). My birth plan went out of the window once I was doing it for real and if the midwife told me one more time (when I begged her for pain relief) that I had stated in my birth plan I wanted to try and be drug free I think I may have been locked up for murder!

This time Id like to try in the pool but I what I really want is what I feel like having on the day.

Steelgoddess said:
no just kidding although that would be one of the plans...

Ideally i would like it to be drug free, but im not sure how possible that will be seeing as ppl tell me it hurts like a mother...

I wanted to have a waterbirth as i liked the idea of the privacy and i found water a huge p[ain relief in the earlier part of my pregnancy in the 1st trimeister...

I guess i'll have to read what others will write too as it could all change onn the day...

Hopefully some kind god from above will allow me to be 10cm dialated upon arriving at the hosital and he pops out in 20mins but who knows...

Awwww I think you can manage drug free if all goes well. I personally didn't find the pain that bad. Yes it hurt a lot but I knew what was causing it and there was a point to it all. Also it only hurt during the contractions, got a break in between ;) If labour is straightforward you probably can manage without IV drugs. I think a lot has to do with your pain threshold and mental attitude to it. If contractions build up over time you get more used to them, even though they hurt.

Water is a great pain relief. I laboured 4 hours of 11.5 of my labour in the pool and it was bliss. Managed with a short burst of TENS in early stage and a bit of gas and air to push him out. Hope your hossie of choice had a pool for you hun :)

Mine is exactly this! (Copied straight from my word document! lol);

BIRTH PLAN

This birth plan is just to provide a general idea of the kind of labour I hope for, it is not set in stone and this plan is in every way flexible depending on the labour/birth;

· My Mum is my birthing partner, and if possible, my Dad may decide to be “hanging around” whilst I am in labour.

· If I am unable to make any decisions myself, I would like my Mum to make decisions on my behalf.

· I would prefer for my baby to be placed straight onto me.

· I would prefer for my Mum to cut the umbilical cord.

· If a C-Section is required, I would like my Mum with me if possible.

· I am open to all pain relief if I need it and would like to be informed if possible if I have passed the stage where a particular pain relief is available.

· I would like to be talked through everything that happens so I know what is going on at all times.

· There are certain people I would prefer not to visit me in the hospital, my Mum has the list.

Finally, I am extremely nervous about the birth! So please bear with me if I ask lots of questions!

What's yours lillou? x

i havent got round to typing mine up yet so will just give you general ideas of what i *think* id like, i have my first class on Tuesday so maybe it'l change after the info they give me.

-My Oh is my birthing partner and if at any point i cant make decisions myself, i want him to make them on my behalf (he knows me inside out and knows what id like)

-i would like to be in the pool/bath for pain relief but come out for the pushing stage of labour

-i would like gas and air

-i would like to be able to listen to my music on my i-pod or through speakers

-i would like to be as mobile as possible and not restricted to the bed

-i would consider other options of pain relief however would prefer to do this with the pool, gas and air and a prepared, strong mental attitude

-i dont mind a student midwife observing but would like a fully qualified one there at all times, i do not want to be left in the sole care of a student midwife

-would like to deliver kneeling if possible at the time, i do not like the idea of lying on my back

-i want my baby immediately placed on my chest

-OH to cut the cord

-yes to injection for placenta

-yes to vit K injection for baby

-if section is needed OH is to come with me

-i want to be talked through everything that is happening to me, even if it looks like i am totally out of it :lol:

i have also told OH i do not want my boobs on display and would like my nightie to be closed until they hand me our baby, i dont care the whole world will see my lady bits but i dont want my boobs on show :think: :think: strange but i bet that'l changed and il jump in the pool naked :lol:

I am aiming for a home water birth.

I have tens for the early part of labour & hope to manage with this, the water & some gas & air.

I have also been practising hypnotherapy techniques and will be using this cd along with some others to try and keep myself relaxed in order to cope with the pain.

Mike is my birth partner and will be keeping me hydrated and feeding me with snacks to keep my energy up as well as using some handy massage techniques he has learnt. He will also speak for me & make any decisions if I cannot. He is also to encourage me to hang on a little longer if I ask to go to hospital - I will soon let him know if I really really mean it. :D

I want to have as active a labour as possible & aim to move around as much as I can before I get in the pool and to be 'poked & prodded' as little as possible - except for any necessary checks.

I also trust that my body is perfectly capable of the task ahead and it will let me know which position is best - therefore I may be in & out of the pool, I may stay in for the whole thing or I may decide not to use it after all. I will be playing much of it by ear depending on what i feel is best at the time.

I want baby to be placed directly onto my chest and for the cord to be left to stop pulsating before it is cut, so no injection, and Mike is to have the option to cut the cord if he wishes. He is then to have skin to skin while I deliver the placenta.

We have opted for the vit K injection.

I will try & breastfeed as soon as possible after birth.

I am also aware that anything may happen and will not be disappointed if this plan goes right out of the window. I will in no way be a failure if I decide I want to transfer to hospital, use drugs to get me through or circumstances dictate that I have to have a c-section. The main thing is that baby arrives safely by whichever means are necessary.

I haven't wrote up an official one yet but I've got it all in my head

My husband is my birth partner throughout and if possible we'd like to attempt a home birth with a pool. If I'm unable to make decisions for any reason he is to make descisions on my behalf

I want to try and use as little pain relief as possible but I'm well aware that I might be sreaming for everything I can get after the first hour. My idea is to just try and get through each contraction one at a time and see how I feel after each one.

I want to deliver in the pool but if I have to get out for the delivery I would like to be in a kneeling or standing position (I really don't want to be on my back)

I'm ok to have an episiotomy if I absolutely need it

when the baby is born I want the baby put straight onto my chest and if possible I want to be the one who cleans them up and gives them a rub down with the towel (I think the MW's look like they're being a bit rough with them sometimes and by the time they get out I think they've been through enough!!)

My husband to cut the cord

Apart from that I've not really got any set plan. With wanting a home birth I think it will all pretty much depend on how it's going on the day and luckyily if it's all going as a home birth should go then I'll be happy

I've decided not to write one. I'm hoping to wing it on the day!

Sorry that isn't much help really in giving you ideas for yours though :oops:

I know I do want a water birth in the hospital but the midwife said mention this as soon as you ring CDS and they will prepare that room for you if it is available.

As far as pain relief goes - I'm not ruling anything out. I have no idea what to expect or what I can deal with and there is nothing that I want to avoid particularly. I trust that the medical team will guide me through things as labour progress and if I get a midwife I dislike - I shall ask for another one!

In our antenatal classes we were told the default afterbirth care is baby straight on you for skin to skin, then away to be cut, weighed etc. before being brought back for boob rooting. I can't think of anything else I would want. If my OH wants to at the time he can cut the cord, if not the midwife can do it.

I guess my problem is that I have no idea how things will go so as long as I get a healthy Oscar at the end of things, I'm happy :D

I'm really enjoying reading these! Even though I have my birth plan already written, it is so flexible that it's nice to read people's that have a strong idea of what they would like to happen!

Most of all though, I want my labour to be an enjoyable experience (I'm sooo frickin' naive :roll: ) and if that means I need an epidural, I'll have it. I just hope I'm "with it" when it all happens so I can remember it ready for when I write my birth story!!

xx

Oooo blimey I dont really have one but I think thats a good thing hehe I think you can have a Birth Idea Plan but not a actual Plan. Its like planning to have sun on your wedding day....it doesnt always happen the way you want it too but at the end of the day the most important thing is what you have after all the fuss is over. :) And a healthy happy familly is definetly the most important thing.

Hopefully have a home birth but if I dont then I wont be really upset by it.

Ermmmmm pain relief once again something that I think I wont be using other than paracetamol and gas and air but only when I need it but then if It does get too much then I'm not going to beat myself up about it if I decide I need more. (I think I will be okay though)

Im hoping for gravity to do its thing so knelt up or whatevers comfiest at the time though.

Anthonys my birth partner :) but if he starts to panic then my boss has offered to come help lol!

Music is my friend....nothing relaxing just fun happy music. I know it sounds mad to alot of people but I do love music and I even when I know I will be in a ridiculous amount of pain I will still probs be sat trying to sing and dance through it! If you were to know me then you will know what I'm like hehe. My friends all reckon Ill be making a cup of tea and sandwich when Pip comes out haha!

Let Pip make her way out and then give her a massive big cuddle have a injection to help the placenta get out.

Ants gonna cut the cord although he has just admitted that hes worried it will hurt Pip hahahaaa!

Basically just see how it goes at the time Im not a planning type of person I'm much better at just handling things as they come. :)

Nice birth plan Tadpole :)

Tadpole said:
Mike is my birth partner and will be keeping me hydrated and feeding me with snacks to keep my energy up as well as using some handy massage techniques he has learnt. He will also speak for me & make any decisions if I cannot. He is also to encourage me to hang on a little longer if I ask to go to hospital - I will soon let him know if I really really mean it. :D

I was adamant that if I said anything about hospital during a contraction they were to all wait and double check and ask me again when contraction had stopped :lol: As it was I never mentioned hospital once. The one time it was mentioned to me galvanised me into action and a short while later my son arrived :D

Tadpole said:
I want to have as active a labour as possible & aim to move around as much as I can before I get in the pool and to be 'poked & prodded' as little as possible - except for any necessary checks.

As a rule homebirth MW's tend to be very hands off anyways. I only had 2 checks during my entire labour. And they do those x amount of hours apart. They will check your BP on a regular basis and LO's heartbeat before and after contractions but I never found that invasive at all.

For the rest during homebirth its pretty relaxed I found. I wrote a plan for OH (and mentioned at the start of it that if I yelled or said rude things to him during labour that I didn't mean it and loved him very much) and MW but she was on exactly the same page as me and did all the things I had hoped/wanted without even being asked :lol: Had everything I hoped for except for delivering baby in the pool. Needed to get out. As it was I really liked pushing standing and squatting :shock:

I'm glad I wrote it as it gave me something to focus on and aim for. But as it was it all happened as we had hoped and nothing in it ever became an issue :)

Hoping you get your homebirth and its everything you hoped for :) I'll be keeping an eye out for your birthstory :)

Mildly said:
I've decided not to write one. I'm hoping to wing it on the day!

Hahaha! That made me laugh. I did this with my first, I think it was because I just thought to myself the docs and midwives know more than me so i'll let them lead the way! Glad I didn't bother because it ended in an emergency section
anyway! Which was unfortunate as I arrived at the hospital fully dilated, but Bex was an undiagnosed
breech and they wouldn't allow me to deliver naturally xx

dannii87 said:
I'm really enjoying reading these! Even though I have my birth plan already written, it is so flexible that it's nice to read people's that have a strong idea of what they would like to happen!

Most of all though, I want my labour to be an enjoyable experience (I'm sooo frickin' naive :roll: ) and if that means I need an epidural, I'll have it. I just hope I'm "with it" when it all happens so I can remember it ready for when I write my birth story!!

Not naive at all :) I loved my birth and the labour was good. I can't say it was bad at all. It was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed pushing my LO out once fully dilated. I really got stuck in to it. Yes it hurt but as I've said elsewhere its a pain I could rationalise and handle well. I never got to the point where I could not cope with it and needed or wanted stronger pain relief than I was using (short use of TENS then water then G&A for the big push).

And you know I had strong ideas and hopes for my birth. I'm a great believer in positive thinking and mind over matter and think that it helped a great deal in my LO's birth. I got my homebirth and it was everything I had hoped and longed for. Such a special thing and so happy I stuck to my guns and ignored Doctors advice. I realise I am lucky and I got pretty much the birth I had hoped for, but had I needed to go to hospital I'd have gone. I was always open to being flexible.

Sherlock said:
dannii87 said:

Not naive at all :) I loved my birth and the labour was good. I can't say it was bad at all. It was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed pushing my LO out once fully dilated. I really got stuck in to it. Yes it hurt but as I've said elsewhere its a pain I could rationalise and handle well. I never got to the point where I could not cope with it and needed or wanted stronger pain relief than I was using (short use of TENS then water then G&A for the big push).

And you know I had strong ideas and hopes for my birth. I'm a great believer in positive thinking and mind over matter and think that it helped a great deal in my LO's birth. I got my homebirth and it was everything I had hoped and longed for. Such a special thing and so happy I stuck to my guns and ignored Doctors advice. I realise I am lucky and I got pretty much the birth I had hoped for, but had I needed to go to hospital I'd have gone. I was always open to being flexible.

I also think that when a birth plan goes to plan, it's helps with both the physical and mental recovery.
As I hadn't really thought about a section at all beforehand, it kind of threw me afterwards, and I believe I
took longer to recover. Being flexible and thinking about every eventuallity is really good xx

The only thing I've written is 'I do not under any circumstances want an episiotomy'. :)

bunnymom1980 said:
The only thing I've written is 'I do not under any circumstances want an episiotomy'. :)

this is something i havent thought about yet, can i ask your reasons why you dont want one? :D

nickilubs said:
Music is my friend....nothing relaxing just fun happy music. I know it sounds mad to alot of people but I do love music and I even when I know I will be in a ridiculous amount of pain I will still probs be sat trying to sing and dance through it! If you were to know me then you will know what I'm like hehe. My friends all reckon Ill be making a cup of tea and sandwich when Pip comes out haha!

i can completely relate to this, its exactly why i want my own i pod music with me!

bunnymom1980 said:

Interesting one. Have you had a bad experience before? :( TBH if baby isn't descending or some such it may be the best thing to enable LO to appear. If its that or a C section I'd go for the former over the latter for sure.

I tore badly during my labour and had 20 plus stitches. It was a clean tear but ouch afterwards. I think being cut is worse though :? I can understand you not wanting one. At least tearing your body makes the choice for you :roll: I never felt it happen and didn't realise till MW told me that it had happened. Luckily in recent times the number of episiotomys has declined. They don't like to do them these days unless an absolute must as a rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back