share your birth plan

I just feel they are completely unnecessary. The MW wanted to do one when I was having Jacob, she was there with the scissors and everything til I screamed NO!!!!! I ended up with just a minor tear that required a couple of stitches.

And also my friend had one a few years ago and they stitched her up too tight afterwards.

It the only thing that really freaks me out.

In the back of my maternity notes is a section called Birthing Preferences so this is what i have used.. these are my notes of specific points I want to discuss with the midwife when we come to filling in that back sheet of my notes....Just to add.. I had a plan for my son's birth which went totally out of the window cos he was born 6 weeks early by emergency c-section and i wasn't going to write one at all this time round cos of not wanting to feel dissapointed but then I read a few plans including Sherlocks and it really helped me to realise that sometimes its good to state exactley what you would like all being well.. and for me personally its really helped me reach a place of acceptance so now I am not scared of the possibility of not going into labour again - its helped me reach a really healthy place which i really needed to do :) anyways enough rambling here is my birth preferences...

Preferences for Birth

Where to have the baby:

I would like to stay at home for as long as possible and come into the birthing unit in Frome when I need more support. I will discuss my options with the consultant in the event of my developing Pre-Eclampsia again or some other complication which necessitates consultant-led care.

Length of stay:

I'd like to stay in the Maternity Unit until breastfeeding is established as I would like support with this. If I have had to have the baby in a large consultant-led hospital then I wish to transfer back to Frome asap in order to receive this breastfeeding support if I still require it.

Who will be present:

My partner Lee and my mum Sue will be present. I would like the option to be able to contact my Doula friend at any time via mobile phone.

I do not wish any students to be present if I end up in a consultant led unit.

I have no objection to one student midwife being present if I birth in Frome.

Inducing Labour:

Due to a previous c-section, I do not want any synthetic induction drugs whatsoever as this could cause an increased risk of uterine rupture. If it becomes necessary to induce the birth because of being overdue then I would like to try all natural options available to me. I have discussed these with my partner and my mum and also the midwife. I would like the privacy to use nipple stimulation and even some foreplay with my partner to help things along a little if required whilst in the birthing unit.

If for whatever reason it becomes necessary to attempt to induce delivery much earlier than my due date then I will discuss all this with the consultant and midwives at that stage and make a decision then.

Posture:

I would like to be as active as possible. I wish to remain upright and mobile and use a birthing ball aswell as birthing pool in latter stages to assist with an active upright posture. I do not wish to have uneccessary monitoring that would confine me to a bed or to the hospital ward. I would like the option to be able to walk around the hospital to help things along a bit.

Pain Relief:

Natural Methods
I would like to be as mobile as possible throughout the birth. I would very much like to use water to assist in a natural approach to birth. I would like reminders to keep my mouth and hands loose and unclenched as I have a tendency to grit my teeth alot.

I would like quiet time, quite possibly on my own, to be able to get into good breathing techniques and deep relaxation using breathing, self hypnosis and reiki. I have asked my Mum to help me establish this breathing and to keep me focussed on it during the latter stages. I would like Lee to use massage wherever I ask. We've discussed the use of hot flannels and pressure on perineum if i ask for it.

I would like to be able to phone my Doula friend to chat through any anxieties that I might be having that are slowing down birthing.

I will possibly give a Tens machine a go but am not that keen as find them quite an uncomfortable sensation.

Entonox
I am happy to try this.

Pethidine
No thankyou!

Epidural/ Spinal
I will only consider this if it is looking like I might need to have a c-section.

C-section:

Elective

I will only consider an elective c-section if the baby presents as transverse and has not responded to turning at all. I will also consider if there is a reoccurance of PET and the consultant advises me that it would be inadvisable to go into labour due to worries about my blood pressure and risk of stroke.

Emergency
If it becomes necessary for me to have an emergency c-section again then PLEASE try to keep me awake. I would like my baby into skin on skin with me for an uniterrupted length of time as soon as I am awake and alert.

Assisted Vaginal Delivery:

Breech
If baby has presented breech then I would like to attempt to deliver vaginally.

Ventouse and Forceps
No thankyou unless mine or my baby's life is in immediate and dangerous threat.

Perineum:

Please only cut me if it is absolutely vital for the health of the baby i.e it is necessary to use Ventouse or Forceps. I would much rather the midwife use her skill and apply pressure or warm oils/hot flannels and allow me to tear than cut me.

Third Stage:

NO SYNTHETIC DRUGS THANKYOU

I would like to use nipple stimulation - either manual stimulation or breastfeeding for the third stage.
i am quite happy for the midwife to apply pressure to my abdomen to assist with the third stage and will trust her skill in this regard to get things going.

Baby:

Yes please for vitamin K.
Please also give BCG if deemed necessary by the health authority.

Delivery of Baby:

I would very much like to be in water and supported so I can catch my baby myself. If this isn't possible or I am on dry land then it would be nice if Lee or Mum could catch the baby but only if they want to and feel comfortable with that.

I would like the baby delivered straight onto my skin and onto breast to assist with third stage. If I am not able to receive the baby myself then I would like the baby to have immediate skin on skin contact with Lee.

I don't want anyone else to clean my baby bar me or Lee or Mum please.

I would like the cord to stop pulsing before it is clamped and cut and I would like Lee or Mum to cut the cord please.

If any of the above is not possible for reasons outside a normal delivery experience then I would like skin on skin contact for an uninterrupted amount of time ASAP after delivery.

Wow Fly! That's one hell of a birth plan! You've obviously thought everything through carefully. :hug:

I hadn't considered half of what you've put there! x

Tis like that cos of the back sheet of me notes hun...at some point soon the midwife will want to talk about all those things with me so I have prepared meself before hand kinda thing :) It was a really good thing to follow actually cos its like it covers alot of area's that ordinarily you just wouldn't think of. If anyone wants to use the subtitles as a model for their own plans then please do so :) xxx

fantastic plan fly, your super organised!!

Fly it reads as a really well thought out birth plan :)

Glad you have a MW led unit nearby to go to. Much more suited to how you would like things. I think if you are relaxed and informed about everything it makes things so much easier. Knowing in your mind about all eventualities I think is a good thing rather than trusting in blind faith what Doctors or MW's may do. Its not for everyone but it works for some.

I was told if I had laboured and delivered in hospital I'd probably have ended up with a C section due to losing my contractions and a big baby. However because I was aware of my options and how to go about boosting my chances of a natural birth I was able to opt for more time and managed to get contractions back and give birth naturally. Both my baby and I were fine throughout and never in any danger. It was lovely to have the time rather than feel pressured to be clock watching and meeting hospital guidelines.

I really hope it all goes well for you :) Positive thoughts and stay focused. And the open palms thing really does work. I focused on my breathing and keeping them open and facing upwards and it really did help my body to stay more relaxed even in mid contraction.

Thanks for posting this!

I hadn't started mine yet, but as I started reading, I cut & pasted some of yours (hope you girls don't mind!).

I knew in my mind what I wanted, just not had the chance to write it down yet!

I'll post mine in a mo when I've added some more bits.

I'm a bit early for this but my birth plan is as follows:

Avoid induction if possible!
Go with the flow!
Make decisions as they crop up as to pain relief etc.
If a section again then want to be awake
Breastfeed

Oh and I should probably put a note on to say that I cope better with contractions if I'm left alone - which means no talking to me if it can be helped!!!

TBH I havent written a birth plan and I never did with my first baby. I know roughly what I want and I know how I will handle the pain now Ive done it once so Im pretty relaxed about it. Of course I have set ideas of certain things that will happen, I know I want a vaginal delivery in the water with only g&a, and would like baby put to breast asap after birth but other than that I am pretty easy going. I know if I make a plan it will go out the window, and this is exactly the kind of situation where you need to be flexible and allow for changes because they inevitably will happen. At this stage Im not sure whether to have the injection to expel the placenta as this would mean getting out of the birth pool, so Im going to see how I feel on the day. I had the injection last time and placenta came out pretty quick, but Im also happy for it to come away naturally if it suits me at the time. Not sure how I will feel until Im there.

Im definite in that I dont want an epidural or to be cut, and also would hate a c-section unless deemed absolutely necessary for either babys or my own health. I also do not want to be induced unless it would pose a risk to keep baby in any longer. Other than this, I am very open-minded about things and willing to change/adapt things according to how I feel at the time and how labour is progressing. If I need to get out of the pool to deliver then I will, or if for whatever reason things dont go too well then I am more than happy to take advice from the midwives and follow their instructions. Really just going to take things as they come and never say never! :hug:

Ok so here's mine - not finished yet, will add more in when I think of stuff:

This is a guide only to our wishes, we just want the baby to be delivered safely and quickly, without distress to baby.

Gary is my birthing partner and if at any point I cant make decisions myself, I want him to make them on my behalf (he knows me inside out and knows what id like).

I would prefer labour not to last for days & days, I want to enjoy the first hours/days of my sons life without being completely knackered/grumpy from lack of energy/sleep.

Drugs options to be discussed with us at the time, and for the side effects to be explained.
I don’t want any drugs that are likely to make me feel nauseas or to vomit.

Absolutely no Pethidine.

I’m not very good at swallowing tablets – so don’t try and force them on me, just give me liquid version or inject it.

I would like to be as mobile as possible and not restricted to the bed.

When I’m in pain, I prefer to be left alone and not touched/fussed over.

I want my baby immediately given to me for skin to skin contact.

Gary to cut the cord, if he wishes.

I would like to wait at least 30 mins to try to deliver the placenter naturally – should it not come after that time then, yes to injection to speed up placenta delivery.

If c-section is needed Gary is to come with me

If c-section is needed I wish to be awake and not screened off and be able to see what is going on so that I can see my baby being delivered (I am not a squeamish person, when it comes to blood etc)

I will try & breastfeed as soon as possible after birth, but in my own time when I feel ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back