Where do you plan to give birth?

Sherlock

Reaction score
We are moving along here and I am curious if you ladies have given it much thought and if so, what your hope for.

Of course, things can change between now and labour, but where do you plan to be when giving birth?

im booked for a homebirth but if plans change (we get our housemove or something goes wrong) then il be at a midwife led unit :)
manda xx

I'd come into the "not given it much thought" category. To be honest, I just want it all done as quickly, safely and with as little pain as possible (don't we all...) :D I accept I have no idea what kind of intervention and pain relief I'll want at the time and am happy to put my trust in our local hospital maternity unti that they'll do the best job they can.

Our local hospital encourages skin on skin contact and breastfeeding asap which are my 2 main post birth priorities as things stand. Apart from that I don't have specific concerns over who delivers me where 8)

I'm opting for a homebirth since I moved and changed MW. They don't have a local MW led unit here so she only does homebirths. Anyone opting or needing hospital has to go to the main one, which is consultant led.

I've always wanted a homebirth but it was not really an option till we moved here. As my MW and the others in the area only attend homebirths, she is all for it and cannot see any reason why I should not have one, providing all goes well between here and the then :)

I feel much more comfortable with the thought of remaining at home for it all. I can wander about, go outside, have my own things around me and have hubby around or he can go sit in his study during the quiet times. He'll be much happier able to do that and so will I.

So, while nervous I'm feeling happy about it. I was never keen on hospital birth as I worry about my labour being speeded up, instruments being used and so on, whereas, from what I have read, homebirth uses none of this. Of course she is skilled in ways to assist, so I don't worry there. If baby is not distressed, I want it to take as long as it takes and not worry they are going to tell me its not quick enough.

I was also reassured about the transfer time and so on if I do need to go to hospital for any reason. That had been my main concern but as it will take no longer to transfer me that it will to prep the theatre etc, then thats ok with me. Its not like that happens in 5 minutes, so being home or there isn't going to change much. It'll be half an hour to 40 minutes from what I have read and been told. I'll be at the hospital inside that.

So yay, here is keeping my fingers crossed :)

Im planning a homebirth :D really hope everything goes to plan Im soooo excited! :cheer: people were concerned about first time mums opting for a homebirth in another thread...these are the reasons I gave...

Tillytots said:
Im planning a homebirth for a first time as I dont plan on anything going wrong. Im not scared about giving birth one bit - its completely natural. Yes you can argue that no-one plans for things to go wrong but in the invent that anything should I can be transfered to a hospital. If things do go wrong in first time Mums they tend to do so in a very slow manner so there would be plenty of time to asses the situation. I could be transfered for slow progress in labour or in an emergency I would also be transfered but no time will be lost in this as even if I was at hospital it would take them 30mins to prepare for an emergency c-section....and they would be ready for when I got there which would be 20mins.

I dont see how it matters whether you have had no babies or 8 tbh...every single birth is different so you couldnt possibly know if it would be low risk or not.

As for pain relief, Im fully prepared for it to hurt like hell but pain never killed anyone! No-one NEEDS an epidural. Its a few hours of almighty pain....and with each passing contraction Il be nearer to my baby and thats what will get me through. You can laugh at me if you like but Im sure my outlook and attitude is going to help me immensely through birth.

I feel very strongly that birth is natural. As soon as you step into a hospital you become a medical case. You have to fit into their schedule and things arent allowed to progress naturally. In my eyes its all very wrong and so many people have horrid experiences when it is completely unecessary. I will be so much more relaxed at home and I can do things in MY time.

On the other hand there are people like missjennipenni who without hospital treatment would've lost their babies but these cases are very rare.

Up until about 30years ago everone had their babies at home, my family did and they back me 110%

ETA: Also with a homebirthyou have much more choice...you can decide to labour at home and then deliver at hospitalright at the last minute whereas if you're stuck in hospital you cant say "ok Id like to go home now please" :lol:

Id much rather be at home, hospitals just freak me out, I wont feel comftable and Il doubt myself whereas if Im relaxed Il have total faith in my body to deliver my baby :D

sneaks into 2nd tri

i've already decided to have to bubs at home, heard really bad reports about the local hospital...

my sister had her first 2 at home and highly recommended it, my mum had all four of us in the living room!

sneaks back into 1st tri

I'll be going to the local hospital (if i make it) i wanna spend as little time as possible there so i wont be rushing, and i wanna make it as natural as possible too.
I wouldnt be able to have a home birth as i'd be too anxious due to what happened with my sister and my mums planned home birth.

Clare x

Tillytots said:
Im planning a homebirth :D

I feel very strongly that birth is natural. As soon as you step into a hospital you become a medical case. You have to fit into their schedule and things arent allowed to progress naturally. In my eyes its all very wrong and so many people have horrid experiences when it is completely unecessary. I will be so much more relaxed at home and I can do things in MY time.

Like you I view pregnancy and giving birth as a natural thing and feel that once inside a hospital, even under MW care it becomes a medical experience. My whole pregnancy my mantra has been 'I'm not ill, I'm pregnant!' and while I had some tough times body health wise, I'm doing ok. Its happening because I am pregnant.

In the western world we are very lucky to have so many medical advances made and have them available to us, but like you I really do feel its not something I want to have medical treatment for unless it really *has* to happen.

I am a mind over matter type when it comes to pain. If I know what is causing it and can therefore rationalise it, it is much more bearable. While I expect giving birth to be the most painful experience I've ever had, it will be worth it.

I respect people's choices, some want to be in hospital, others not. I opted for a hospital birth initially at a hospital in another county due to knowing Doctors there personally and also feeling happier about the feedback of the maternity unit. Homebirth was not really availble in my previous area. But as I had very set plans in my head about not being speeded up etc, it bothered me. Since moving and finding homebirth is an option here, I've been able to relax and to make the choice I always wanted and hoped for.

I am hoping to birth in the Midwife Unit (which is situated right by the hospital). I was considering a Homebirth but I diddn't really take to my community Midwife :(

I will be in hospital with consultant led care - previously liked the idea of a homebirth but my first would have died without medical intervention, with my second i had preeclampsia and so high risk and my third came out blue. Likely to get preeclampsia again so being monitored closely and for hospital delivery.

If you have a supportive midwife, normal pregnancy, normal delivery i think homebirth must be one of the most wonderful experiences and good on those brave enough to take it on - after my first 45hour labour I would never have been brave enough to risk it (dh wouldnt have allowed it anyway) but for those who do manage it I have heard some wonderful stories especially where older siblings are involved.

In the John Radcliffe, Oxford I wasn't given the choice due to my medical history

nikkimitch said:
I will be in hospital with consultant led care - previously liked the idea of a homebirth but my first would have died without medical intervention, with my second i had preeclampsia and so high risk and my third came out blue. Likely to get preeclampsia again so being monitored closely and for hospital delivery.

If you have a supportive midwife, normal pregnancy, normal delivery i think homebirth must be one of the most wonderful experiences and good on those brave enough to take it on - after my first 45hour labour I would never have been brave enough to risk it (dh wouldnt have allowed it anyway) but for those who do manage it I have heard some wonderful stories especially where older siblings are involved.

I can understand your situation and why you will be in hospital. Best place to be if you have those complications :hug:

As far as it goes for me, if I have any complications from here on out to birth time, MW and I will look at my home brith plan and if we feel I'll be better in hospital, then of course thats where I'll go.

I really wanted a home birth this time round but I'm high risk due to the labour I had with Jack, I lost a lot of blood and we were both in hospital for 5 days afterwards.

I also carry the strep b meningitis virus so I have to go to hospital and have an antibiotic drip due to being allergic to penicillin, this lasted for 8 hours in my labour with jack!!!

I wanted a big family party at my home birth - oh well, the hospital is fab and it felt like a hotel when I was in with Jack!.

I'm a home-birther to be - my midwife is really for homebirths which helps, she was telling me why she thought they were the best way earlier - especially with regards to the level of care i.e. having to have 2 midwives with you.
My main reason though is that hospitals scare me a little and i want to feel as relaxed as possible.

It was funny when the midwife told my OH that he could help deliver the baby. The look on his face... priceless (before he'd been doubtful about even cutting the cord).
Lol.

Hospital for me

My flat is tiny - no way I would want to give birth at home.

im planning for a home birth with birthing pool but will go to hospital if i need to

Yep, homebirth for me too, I had my second at home and it was so relaxing, obviously I had pain, but did it all with no pain relief and had no problems.

I totally agree with everything that Tilly said

I wanted a home birth/midwife led unit birth...but thats out of the window with having 2 and now i have to have a hospital birth grrrrrrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back