When to go to hospital?

Tillytots

Reaction score
I need to pick your brains girls..

Well, I cant have my homebirth now, nor the birth centre so its off the the grotty hospital :( What Im going to try and do is labour at home for as long as possible. I dont want to be in there for more time than absolutely necessary so at what point would you go into hospital..? Ooo I should point out the hospital is 25mins away and OH doesnt drive so its either ambulance or Dad or Grandad driving me. Im thinking to make a move when either..

a) contractions are coming 3 mins apart, lasting more than 60 seconds and have been like that for an hour

b) when I cant take the pain anymore

This is assuming everything else is ok of course. I have the small or rather large issue of excess fluid and Im praying the cord doesnt fly out but hopefully with baby engaged it wont. Also it could cause placenta abruption but Im not even gonna think about that - I'll just terrify myself :shakehead:

When I mentioned this to my Nan she thought I was mental and her words were no wonder so many babies are born in cars :lol: She is a worrier though.

What would you do?

I just dont want to be stuck there and either be sent home or even worse OH be sent home, I would completely lose it without him :cry:

I think I'd think about making a move when they are at least 5 mins apart. It's really tricky to know what to do :think:
Maybe talk to your midwife about it. She might be less doom and gloom than the hospital consultants and give you the facts rather than telling you scare stories about what might happen in the worse case scenario

It is tricky isnt it. I think at the time though I may not do anything that I planned anyway but its just nice to have a plan rather than not IYKWIM.

It was midwives that have said about the fluid thing. Every midwife Ive seen so far just lately has said I will be better off in hospital and they said that the birth centre would've taken one look at my notes and been like :? Im always trouble :lol:

My MW said to wait till you (me/we) are feeling contractions a few minutes apart and they are regular etc. She felt going in beforehand was not needed unless there were problems or the woman felt she wanted to be there sooner. Said about the strength of them also.

Of course, transport time means things may be a bit further along once you arrive but she kept telling our labour class that first babies tend not to hurry so not to panic overly as it could still be a fair while away from anything really happening.

It really depends on a few things for you though doesn't it :think:

I'll maybe drop you a PM instead.

I would see which one comes first.

If you cant stand the pain then go in even if your contractions are more then 3 mins apart & lasting 60 seconds

or

If your contractions are 3 mins apart and lasting 60 seconds then I would go in at that point.

Last week I went to a birthing class at the hospital and they recommended 5 mins apart lasting 60 seconds before calling the labour ward in anticipation of going in so I would probably go with MM and say call then at 5 mins.

You never know once you get to hospital they might be every 3 mins.

I think thats what im scared of....

Waiting too long to go into hopsital... and then it coming on quickly...

Or going in too early and being sent home... would drive me mad..

I guess i'm lucky, i can see the roof of the hospital from my bedroom window. You literally turn left out of my road and then a bit further up the road there is a right turn into the hospital, no traffic lights no roundabouts no traffic.... tis another reason i like the homebirth idea - i know i'm so close to hospital should i need it!

At the hospital here they say not to go in until you are getting 3 good (and by that I guess they mean bad :? ) contractions in 10 minutes as that tends to mean you are at 3 or 4 cm so starting active labour. My friend has a bit of a journey to get to the hospital (I'd guess 15 mins but it may well be longer) and she left home to go in when her contractions were 4 mins apart and she was sent home. It was another 4 or 5 hours before she went back.

If you want to be in hospital for as little time as possible then wait until you are getting 3 good contractions in 10 mins and can't cope with the pain anymore. However, if you want to avoid travelling while in active labour then you would have to go in before that.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation :hug:
I was going to stay at home as long as possible (I had fantasies of refusing to get out of the bath and managing to cope and have baby at home with no one fussing around :rotfl: ) but since seeing the birthing pool at the hospital I would rather be there than at home.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My preggo brain has just hit hard.. and I have NO idea what I'm meant to be doing re contraction times, when to go in etc etc..
So wanted to say thanks Sarah for this thread, and I'll be going into hospital (20mins drive) when I can't take the pain any longer, or when contractions are 5 to 10 mins apart, and they are regular.
That said.... I reckon I'll probably panic, and get OH to whisk me off to hosp when I feel ANYTHNG...
:dance:

x

Hiya,

It is very difficult because everyone is different. I had a long pre-labour period with both my girls (first lasted 2 days, 2nd about 20 hours). The first time I was having contractions every few minutes but when I went to hospital they said I was only 2cms and after a while, I came home. Daisy wasn't born for another 30 odd hours!!! 2nd time around I knew much more of what to expect, and although the contractions were pretty regular I waited until they were knocking me off my feet, and the whole experience was a lot better once I reached the hospital.

I think it depends also on if your waters have gone - mine didn't, had to have them broken both times!!!

I'd say follow your instincts and when you can't cope anymore without the pain relief etc, go to hospital. I was told by some mws to go in earlier rather than later the 2nd time as I'd previously had to have an emergency c/section but when it came to it, I rang the hospital and they said different. I think it is important to keep in touch with the hospital when you do start, and follow their advice according to your situation (they'll probably tell you to take a bath and see how you feel after that - that's what they kept saying to me!!!)

All the best :hug:

I was told by my Mid Wife tonight that the time to go in is if the contractions have been 5 minutes or less apart for a few hours then go in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back