Ambulances to hospital.

I have got 4 people who know they may be called on to drive me. They all work at different times and do different things so hopefully when the time comes one will be available - hopefully OH. I will need him there to shout at! Lol! I feel reassured knowing that I have 3 back up people and at least one of them should be available. One less worry on my mind!

Xx

Yeah that good you got 4 people! Hopefully OH though... i wish my OH drove! Think thats the next thing we are gonna have to do when baby is here. Would be so much easier and less stressful all around and plus maybe with my next he could drive me there lol. xxx

I had my first at 17 and neither me or my partner could drive. My mum was visiting my sick nan in london at the time otherwise she would of driven us so when i phoned labour ward the midwife advised me to call an ambulance. It wasn't an emergancy i just had no other way to get there although the paramedic did pronouce me dead when he couldn't find a pulse (I was talking to him at the time).

lol!!! Yeah i suppose in some cases when theres no other way you would have to call them. Nothing ele you could do. xxx

Afaik charging for ambulance use is becoming the norm, at least where I live.

xxx

Lol with your next?! See how you feel after giving birth to this one first! You may never let your OH near you again!! :D I can't imagine not being able to drive. We live in quite a rural area so anywhere you want to go you need to drive to. When I was growing up, I lived 2 miles from the nearest bus stop!!

Xx

Didn't see your posts there...
I never thought about taxi times! Think i'll get OH to ring in the next few days and see if they will even pick me up, i thought they would of been funny about it... some dickhead taxi drivers round here lol!

Thanks Scottishlass, i am fine. Bit fed up but i will probably wake up and feel much better in the morning, i hope!
Yeah i know what you mean about the fastest transport and with it being so scary for your first time. Argh makes me nervous thinking about it haha. xxx

i only thought about it because i know when my bil has tried to get a taxi from my house after 3pm you have to get 1 to come out from the town which i always found annoying lol

Yeah i suppose haha, i may not want anymore lol. My friend said she wanted about 4 kids...now her 2 year old is a handful she doesn't want anymore. I don't blame her because he is so bad its unbelievable. They have let him away with too much though and give him black coffee lmao... as if he isn't awake enough. I will be screaming all sorts at OH in labour i can just see it :lol: Ah i know its a right pain not driving, i hate it... feel trapped! 2 miles away from the nearest bus stop wow...now that is far lol.xxx

Yeah midnight, i bet it would cost more too! God knows how much it will be, i dread to think lol. hopefully not too much. xxx

Last edited:
well we pick up our new mini bus tomorrow and i know my dh will be praying my waters dont break in it haha i might end up having to sit on a bag yet, im keeping my fingers crossed they dont break on my other 4 they all went in the hospital so im hoping this 1 follows suit lol

we couldnt be without a car either fornightly 140 mile round trips and endless hospital appointment for my ds would be alot harder to do on the bus or train if we didnt have them to do though it would be far cheaper to not drive petrol prices alone are shocking

shauna most taxi firms will give you an estimate if you ask them. just say you need a rough price from and to and they should be able to tell you.

i think the problem is with ambulances is there isn't enough of them and alot of people do waste their time. a woman up the road from my parents called them for a sneeze half the time im sure. like the others have said though the hospital will tell you when you call them to ring one. if they tell you to then your doing nothing wrong. xxx

It's personal choice n my Aunty is a ambulance driver n trust, the amount of people wasting there time is untrue...... If I wanted to get an ambulance coz I thought I needed one or couldn't afford a taxi or what ever reason then I would!!! Simple, as for charging nope not round here they don't, put it this way what happens if u waited n waited to call one n then u had no choice it would become more of a emergency costing more time n money, plus if it is ur first baby how would u know what was normal for pain or not, to know how serious of a situation u was in, so bollox if u want to get an ambulance get one alsooooo how many babys do we have in our life 1 2 im sorry but i may only ever use an ambulance for this in my life time its not like ill be wasting there time 100 times a year haha x sorry rant over x

why not phone your local ambulance service and ask them if you can call 1 if you are in labour, but if they do they will obviously give priority to someone who is critical iykwim so it could end up quicker going by taxi or your dad

I have no one to drive me to hospital when i go into labor and i also would not want my friend who is my birthing partner to have to pay the parking fees (i was in hospitla for 12 hours with my daughter and she has no car at the moment)
We are told to call a taxi and not a ambulance unless its a emergency ie bleeding or prem labor. Which i totally understand as there is not enough ambulances at the best of times plus they are not the nicest form of transport you can feel every bump in the road lol

I have no one to drive me to hospital when i go into labor and i also would not want my friend who is my birthing partner to have to pay the parking fees (i was in hospitla for 12 hours with my daughter and she has no car at the moment)
We are told to call a taxi and not a ambulance unless its a emergency ie bleeding or prem labor. Which i totally understand as there is not enough ambulances at the best of times plus they are not the nicest form of transport you can feel every bump in the road lol

and you feel every single bump when in labour for some reason haha and going round a bend feels like you in the back of a rally car lol

yeah will ring the taxi firms :) Definitely not enough ambulances!
Will see what the consultant says anyways he will probably know.

Nadine yeah your right, rant away thats what the forum is here for lol! I have never had to go in an ambulance before... i can see alot of people wasting their time aswell to be honest.

thanks girls. xxx

Can I just chip in here, my dad is an ambulance driver and the service is unbelievably stretched to breaking point. I don't think it's right to call one in labour unless in an unforseen emergency like the others have said. Ambulances do charge you if you are deemed to be not an emergency. Call a taxi hunnie, labour is not an emergency (in most cases) xx

so firstly i haven't even bothered to read all the posts (i'm feeling quite tired tonight!) but i literally read last night, in a book my mw gave me that when you call her to say your in labour she can BOOK you an ambulance . . . i was and still am presuming this would be like one of the patient transfer ambulance's that are not used for 999 calls, but still have medically trained drivers and some supplies! i will (if i remember) try and find it and type it up for you!

DH called an ambulance for me when I was 32 weeks and woke up bleeding- we were so terrified we were losing the baby that we literally didn't think twice about whether or not to call despite the fact that we have a car and both drive. It just felt like an emergency situation at the time and we were both shaking and in no fit state to drive.

When my waters went a month early we were a lot calmer and although we knew it was too early for her to come as she was so tiny, dh did drive us to hospital.

I think it's best to get a taxi or ask a friend to drive as to be honest, I don't know about everyone else, but I'd have felt a bit silly in an ambulance as it wasn't life or death.

Hope that helps. Xx

yeah that would be great Spice... thank you. I never knew that.

Annie, i think i would of just called at 32 week too if i was bleeding. If i was bleeding badly at any late stage i'd probably ring.

xxx

Last edited:
I think that you should do what you feel is best for you. One person’s idea of an emergency is probably different from someone else’s. In some cases. Some people are a lot more anxious than others and need more reassurance, being in an ambulance and having medicinal trained people there would probably make them feel better therefore helping them. where as someone else might just refuse to call them or wait until its last minute as it would make them more anxious being in the ambulance. For a lot of people giving birth is very scary and is an emergency to them. I know a lot of people waste their time but i don’t think going into labour is one of them if that person feels they need to call them. Hope that makes sense. lol

I think that you should do what you feel is best for you. One person’s idea of an emergency is probably different from someone else’s. In some cases. Some people are a lot more anxious than others and need more reassurance, being in an ambulance and having medicinal trained people there would probably make them feel better therefore helping them. where as someone else might just refuse to call them or wait until its last minute as it would make them more anxious being in the ambulance. For a lot of people giving birth is very scary and is an emergency to them. I know a lot of people waste their time but i don’t think going into labour is one of them if that person feels they need to call them. Hope that makes sense. lol

Makes perfect sense hun, i agree... thank you. Feels like it would of been an emergency as i don't know what to expect and wouldn't know if the baby was ok. I think i am more worried because of my BP too, incase that shoots up and stresses the baby out as my BP hasn't quite been normal. xxx

Shauna love I wasnt being funny! Was just saying it how I saw it, and probs in a rush at the time too :flower: the way I see it is, ambulances are part of the EMERGENCY services, 9 times out of 10, simply being in labour isn't an emergency! My labour turned into an emergency situation and I was blue lighted to hospital an hour or so after giving birth, and ambulance rides are horrible! You travel backwards so you end up feeling really sick! The way our midwives put it at Antenatal classes was, you've got 9 months to prepare for how to get to
Hospital, so ambulances are only to be used if it's an absolute emergency! My OH wasn't driving when I had my 1st, but I still had plans and backup plans of who was to take me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back