Can they really send you home again? Can you refuse to go?

flaxen

Reaction score
Having been flicking through other peoples posts and read that they have been sent home again because the hospital doesnt think that they are far enough along even though they are in a lot of pain.

My question is can they really make you go home again? Surely if you are in a lot of pain and struggling to cope its unprofessional for the hospital to send you home again?

I cant cope with pain so already know that I will end up needing super duper pain relief much earlier than most other people will and its really worrying me that that the hospital will tell me to stop being pathetic and to go home again and I know I will lose the plot.

I am already on fairly decent doses of cocodamol for my back and pelvis so there is no point them telling me to take paracetamol as I cant take it and I cant have a bath as we only have a shower as water pressure is too low.

As a vet nurse we would be called negligent if we left an animal in severe pain so why do they make humans go through it.

Oh hun, I couldnt agree more, but I think its an issue of beds, lots of women think they are going into labour days before they actually do. My sister in law got sent home from the hospital at least 5 times as she had false contractions and if she had stayed in from the first time she would have been there about 10 days waiting.

I think its because it's not a pain from an injury, its a natural pain (if that makes sense) I was refused pain relief and told to take paracetamal at 4cms :wall: They know from experience that women are more likely to relax and progress faster when theyre at home in their own environment, and it gives them the chance to go out for walks etc to speed things along. Saying that, if your body is really telling you that you need to stay then let me know. Youll know at the time which is right for you and as your already on pain relief they may be more understanding of it. x

Star fish is right plus your more relaxed at home to things will progress quicker in the comfort of your own home. Have you got a tens machine? Also try hynotherepy to get you through that first stage and to stay calm and relaxed. The pain isn't constant either until the final stages more like strong BH and backache so I'm sure you will be much better able to cope than you think x

i think aswell that if they think your in the very early stages of labour that they tend to say go home for now because they think u will do better at home in your own comfertable home surroundings hun,coz a few people go in early and their contractions seem to stop due to fear and bein in that hospital surroundin,but they cant force u to go home if u really do feel happier in hospital,if u want to go to hospital early they really couldnt say no id imagine,do whatever u feel right with hun and if they do say go home and u really dont want to,tell them hun,its your body and your right.xxxx

Ive just been at the birth of my nephew with my sister she was 3cm and said she needed to be 4cm to stay in so go home but she was in terrible pain plus none if us drive so would of meant her going in a taxi like that plus her waters where going all the time, so we sat in a waiting room at the hospital, hour and a half of her moaning and groaning with the pain and worrying other ppl waiting they soon got her a room lol

Someone I knew got sent home twice during early labour as the first time there wasn't enough mw's there as a number had been sent home ill and the second there wasn't a bed free for her.....

xx

The problem is because of my oh's job he isnt allowed time off work and they basically work straight through from 17th dec to 7th jan and will only be allowed home when I actually need to go into hospital so will be completly on my own and he threw a complete hissy when I said I wanted my mum there, I know full well he will just stuff his face and sleep. Then if I am not allowed home I will be stuck in hospital with no company and no visitors as he will have to go back to work, he is already twisting because they are taking him off the vehicle over xmas and putting him on a site= a lot less pay as less hours plus travelling ( does 12hrs shifts when driving, higher rate of pay and work is 5 mins walk down the drive- the site he is being put on is 8hr shift, nmw and 45 min drive each way) and its all my fault.

I wouldnt be in this position if he didnt want the 3 letter word as I hate it, I find it uncomfortable and painfull and it does nothing for me.

Also he isnt sympathetic and actually said to his friends on facebook he doesnt get what the fuss is about, its just like lambing, you fatten them up and then yank on the feet! He wonders why Im pissed off with him! He is also going out on the piss tomorrow afternoon and night (fair enough its his day off, but that leaves me on my own all day and night yet again but Im not allowed to go riding!!) with a work colleague and will then sleep all day on thursday. He doesnt even come to midwife appts with me unless I have a scan.

Sorry if its a rant.

aww hun poor u,he doesnt sound very understandin with u atall,maybe u are better off takin your mum with u,only a woman can understand a woman especially in these circumstances xxxx

Just like lambing!!! WTF, men! I'd love to see them go through pregnancy and birth without complaining, can you imagine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back