Ambulances to hospital.

xshauna_bazx

Reaction score
Well from what i have heard now you get charged :shock:
Anyone know if this is true?
My mam thinks i am better off in an ambulance as my dad will probably freek out taking me there in labour and if he is freaking out he might crash... the car isn't at its best at the minute either. I don't wanna ask my friend because they wanna come just to be nosey and i don't want them there.
When i was on the phone to this midwife a few week ago she got snotty with me and said "well how you going to get to hospital when your in labour" i thought thats what ambulances were for? Is it so unheard of now to get an ambulance to hospital? xxx

Charged to use an ambulance?! Never heard of it but it's outrageous if it's true! x

depends if it's an emergency I guess,like if you've left it to late to be able to move..I think they will tell you to get a cab or a lift ? I'll get acab as there is no point driving there and have to look for a parking space for an hour,bloody expensive too !!

Yeah i wouldnt have thought they will send an abulance unless its an emergency? I dont think they can charge you, thats ridiculous! But i guess they do have to keep ambulances available for people who are really in danger. I bet they will advise you to get a taxi? x

We were told not to get an ambulance unless it's really too late and baby is basically there! Told to ring delivery suite and if we have no other way to get there they'll ring us a taxi (doubt theyd pay for it aswell!) But ambulances are only to be used if youre too late basically!

Ambulances are for emergencies, not someone in labour. It's not hard to call a taxi! Whilst youre in an ambulance having a few contractions. Someone could be dying in a real emergency! I didn't want my dad to call me an ambulance when I was in labour cos I didn't think it justified it and she was born 3 minutes later! Yes they can charge you too, you're basically using them as a taxi and you wouldn't expect them to take you for free!

Ambulances are for emergencies, not someone in labour. It's not hard to call a taxi! Whilst youre in an ambulance having a few contractions. Someone could be dying in a real emergency! I didn't want my dad to call me an ambulance when I was in labour cos I didn't think it justified it and she was born 3 minutes later! Yes they can charge you too, you're basically using them as a taxi and you wouldn't expect them to take you for free!

Was there any need to be funny? I asked a simple question... as my hospital is over 10 mile away! I don't come on here to get people to make me feel like shit for something i asked!

There was a lady over here, Belfast, who had her baby in a taxi not so long ago! Gosh, I'd be mortified :lol: Apparantley the taxi driver was really nice and helped in any which way he could.

I really don't know about ambulances tbh. I'm not sure if they would come out and get ya if it was only contractions, but if the baby was about to make an appearance, then probably. But then how do we know? We ain't MWs and can't tell if baby is in distress or not. I've heard of people having contractions, calling MW, being told to wait before coming into hospital, then very soon after the baby is attempting to make an appearance :lol: x

There was a lady over here, Belfast, who had her baby in a taxi not so long ago! Gosh, I'd be mortified :lol: Apparantley the taxi driver was really nice and helped in any which way he could.

I really don't know about ambulances tbh. I'm not sure if they would come out and get ya if it was only contractions, but if the baby was about to make an appearance, then probably. But then how do we know? We ain't MWs and can't tell if baby is in distress or not. I've heard of people having contractions, calling MW, being told to wait before coming into hospital, then very soon after the baby is attempting to make an appearance :lol: x

Yeah thats what i was thinking, we don't know if the baby is about to come out or even if they are distressed. With my BP i think i will be worrying too!
I'd hate to give birth in a taxi... poor taxi driver haha. xxx

I would deffo try and find somebody that can be your driver, even if it is just a friend can't you make it clear that their only involvement is to pick you up and drop you off... so they know they arent going to be a part of anything?

I know what you mean though I know my bf will be a total wreck driving me to the hospital but he will just have to pull himself together and get us there in one piece!

Its rediculous that ambulances can charge but i have heard of it, thing is you dont know when the baby is going to make an appearance so ideally you need somebody you can trust/rely on to get you to the hospital as soon as you call them.

Hope you work something out :) xx

I would deffo try and find somebody that can be your driver, even if it is just a friend can't you make it clear that their only involvement is to pick you up and drop you off... so they know they arent going to be a part of anything?

I know what you mean though I know my bf will be a total wreck driving me to the hospital but he will just have to pull himself together and get us there in one piece!

Its rediculous that ambulances can charge but i have heard of it, thing is you dont know when the baby is going to make an appearance so ideally you need somebody you can trust/rely on to get you to the hospital as soon as you call them.

Hope you work something out :) xx

Thanks, i think with this being my first too and not knowing what to expect lol!
I don't even want to ask them, i have talked about them on here before and i try not have much to do with them because everything they say and do i to put me down. I wouldn't be so bothered if they were actually bothered... they just like a bit of action i think lol.
As far as i knew up until the other day was that you phoned an ambulance if you had no transport. I will work something out...hopefully in time lol. xxx

Was there any need to be funny? I asked a simple question... as my hospital is over 10 mile away! I don't come on here to get people to make me feel like shit for something i asked!

i dont think she meant it in a nasty way hun x

but she is right they dont send them unless its an omg the head is there moment, a taxi will be fine you will have enough time unless you have a super pain tolerence and dont feel contractions :) make sure you have as many numbers as possible for different companies or have a plan in place beforehand xx

I would suggest calling a few local taxi companies to make sure they will take you , some are a bit funny about women in labour . god forbid one funny about it is at least you will know and maybe put enough money for the taxi fare to hospital away in a little jar or something so you cant be caught short . I'd also sugget saving the numbers or leaving them on a list somewhere handy in case your panicking . I know if you were to call an ambulance here they would only come out if you were really stuck and its a sixty Euro charge regardless . I live 30 miles from my hospital so I know what you mean about being worried about giving birth in a car or taxi , but its soooooo unlikely . chances are you will have plenty of time and notice especially with it being your first baby :hugs:

i dont think she meant it in a nasty way hun x

but she is right they dont send them unless its an omg the head is there moment, a taxi will be fine you will have enough time unless you have a super pain tolerence and dont feel contractions :) make sure you have as many numbers as possible for different companies or have a plan in place beforehand xx

Was just how she said its not hard to get a taxi.
I am new to all this and don't have a clue so thats why i ask things. I just think if you don't like what someone says just don't reply instead of making people feel like even worse shit, all ready having a shitty day don't need anyone else having ago when i never knew something. :)
Well i don't think i won't feel the contractions lol, i don't even have a pain tolerance! I think i will just have to tell my dad he is taking me lol... would taxi drivers actually take you if they know your in labour? You know what there like with spills and everything lol. xxx

Last edited:
I had one company here say they would no problem as long as I brought a plastic bag and a towel to sit on in the taxi :)

I would suggest calling a few local taxi companies to make sure they will take you , some are a bit funny about women in labour . god forbid one funny about it is at least you will know and maybe put enough money for the taxi fare to hospital away in a little jar or something so you cant be caught short . I'd also sugget saving the numbers or leaving them on a list somewhere handy in case your panicking . I know if you were to call an ambulance here they would only come out if you were really stuck and its a sixty Euro charge regardless . I live 30 miles from my hospital so I know what you mean about being worried about giving birth in a car or taxi , but its soooooo unlikely . chances are you will have plenty of time and notice especially with it being your first baby :hugs:

Yeah the taxi drivers around here are moody gets lol!
I think that will be very last resort, only if my dad can't handle it... hopefully they will take me though. Yeah think i'll maybe put some money away just incase my dad is fishing god knows where lol. Knowing my luck he will be. We have a community hospital here but you can't even go there for anything lol, they send you to the big hospital. xxx

ring round a few beforehand just so you can have the 1s listed at the top that are fine with it also ask prices :)

just thought too who is bringing you home? and have you got a car seat as i dont think they let you go without 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back