When criteria for treatment says couple must be married???

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
If an ivf clinic states in their treatment criteria that the parents must be married, do they ask for proof or is it sufficient to have the same surname and say you are married???
Thanks girls xxxx

I'm not sure hun. Ours didn't ask us. I still go under my maiden name as haven't got round to changing my name officially. And they never asked us if we were married or not at consultation for ivf

Cosmic, surely they can't have that as one of the criteria for NHS IVF?? can they, that's awful......
Unless it's a egg donors request I suppose maybee. Fertility shouldn't be just for married people..

I've not heard of that being a criteria before, but i'd assume if a clinic feels strongly enough about it to list it as a requirement that they'd definitely require proof in the form of your marriage certificate and photo ID.

I don't think sharing a surname would mean anything.

Which IVF clinic are you looking at?

Last edited:
it's been on all our patient questionnaires, especially the welfare of the child ones, but never been a criteria...is it definitely a criteria or just a question?

I've not heard of that being a criteria before, but i'd assume if a clinic feels strongly enough about it to list it as a requirement that they'd definitely require proof in the form of your marriage certificate and photo ID.

I don't think sharing a surname would mean anything.

Which IVF clinic are you looking at?

Dogus in Cyprus x

it's been on all our patient questionnaires, especially the welfare of the child ones, but never been a criteria...is it definitely a criteria or just a question?

It's definitely a criteria :( x

aha not the UK

really don't know what they're like with criteria abroad. maybe worth having a look on some ivf forums?

That's a good idea. I feel like a bit of a fraud :(
I am in contact with the clinic but if I ask "so, do you ask of proof of marriage?" they'll know I'm not married x

I would but I got divorced in 2003 and one of the orders on the divorce petition was that should I sell my house or re-marry, I have to pay the nobhead ex around £12k (he moved into MY house, that I owned and we were married for less than 1 year - figure that out!)
I can't afford to marry for that reason :( x

that sucks balls

maybe if you've got some documentation that shows that you could use it to give them a case should they query you?

They are a private clinic who I'm sure want my money, so I wonder how strict they are on that rule???
If only I had kept my marriage certificate from my last marriage.
I never considered this would be a problem :( x

If I was you I'd contact the clinic under an alias and ask :)

Also, can't you get married in secret?

If its just between you and your fella, no one else need ever know and you'll have your piece of paper.

It only costs £400 so cheaper than £12k :shock:

Good idea Louise :)
I would like to get married.
Definitely going to ask under an alias, I hope they don't need any proof x

They are a private clinic who I'm sure want my money, so I wonder how strict they are on that rule???
If only I had kept my marriage certificate from my last marriage.
I never considered this would be a problem :( x

I'd of thought you could apply for the marriage certificate from the registry office?
But I'd get married in secret if I were you, much more exciting!! xx

Hahaha you're all terrible influences!!!

Whilst I'm on, does anyone know, in general, how successful IUI is???? What (briefly) does the procedure entail? x

depends. think it can be medicated or natural. with medicated your ovulation is induced, natural they just do it at the right time.

it's probably not worth looking at success rates because you know you and your partner are fertile and have conceived naturally. it's often given for unexplained fertility before IVF which pushes its success rates down (as it's often not the right treatment for those people). Most people having IUI have fertility issues in the first place. Does that make sense?

That makes lots of sense, thanks scotch.
So if it's unmedicated then I assume you are only as likely to get pregnant as you are on a normal month bd'ing?? x

i doubt the two are much different in terms of success if you ovulate normally. the medication is to ensure you release an egg...

often it comes down to timing. like for our frozen transfer. I ovulate every month, but they are giving me a medicated (completely suppress cycle then basically HRT to do the second half) cycle because I'm irregular so they can't time things very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back