What option do you have when your local NHS hospital stops funding for IVF???

Gizzy Kelly

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Just a quick question... I have now been referred on the NHS to our local hospital for our first consultation (Basilson as I fall under South East Essex). However I have been told that even if we are offered treatment they have stopped all funding now for IVF? I read this thriough a link of other girls being seen at Basildon!!

Is this right?? and does anyone else know about funding for IVF on the NHS?? Surely if we fit the criteria ie (both under 35, no other children, TTC for nearly 3 years, both healthy) then surely we should be offered at least one cycle??

Are there any Basildon ladies on this forum that can advise or women generally having treatment on the NHS??

Thanks Gizzy xxx

Google says that they reinstated funding in South West Essex in May 2011 so you should be able to get upto three cycle of IVF :)

Thanks, does this mean that I have to have treatment there or can I get referred to another hospital?? Do you know how this works????? I ask because all of the girls who go there say they are not very good at all??? Gizzy xx

Well, i'm under Derbyshire PTC but have been referred to a Nottingham clinic so i think it's just something that you need to speak to your GP about and if not contact the alternative fertility units that are local and ask if they accept people referred from your PCT xx

Last edited:
To be honest hun, unless you can get into chelmsford hospital you are best at basildon coz my hospital is queens and as you know they are shockingly bad!!!
xxx

Gizzy Kelly whereabouts r u? we are in Chelmsford and been referred to saffron walden hospital. Went all the way there last week for a 10 minute appointment

Puzzle, I live in Orsett Village so they said we have to go to Basildon first! I dread to think what the waiitng lsist are and what to expect. Everyone I know who has been there said the Consultant is not very nice :-( I am dreading starting this all...

Gizzy Kelly,
I'm under Basildon (and work there too - we're not so bad!)

Mr haloob is the fertility consultant and he really knows his stuff. He will do tests first on both you and your husband (sperm, scans etc) if these havent yet been done, and then if he thinks the only option is ivf he will refer you. You get to choose from barts, Oxford, Cambridge and leiscester as they are the clinic that have funding for Basildon. We choose Oxford as they then send you to Herts and Essex as it's closer.

We've had one cycle so far, it isn't a huge wait once you've been referred but it's all the tests etc first that take the time - but they have to be done prior to any clinic starting ivf.

And yes at the moment it's on the nhs still and you get 3 fresh cycles plus 2 or 3 frozen cycles if you are lucky enough to have eggs frozen too.

Hope that helps x

Thanks you Betsy that is very very helpful. I am so pleased to meet a girl under Basildon!!!. I got told a few weeks ago that my friend was upset with with the Consultant under Basilson and that he made her cry when she was having IUI (she had 5 lots under Basilson none of which worked) and was not very symphathetic but i am pleased to see someone who is happy there. Do you mind me asking how long it takes to get your first appointment? Our Gp has just sent the letter off. Both myself and my husband have had all ther tests done privately, (ie me bloods tests, internal scans, and my husband has had 3 sperm samples) do you still think that Basilson will want to repeat them?

What happnes at the first appointment? and how long does it take for your to be referred to the other hospital. If that ever happens, do you know which hospitals are better? I know you said you have been referred, are you happy with your treatment there??

Sorry for the all the questions but this is the first girl I have met who is currently undergoing treatment there. I am so pleased to now that Basilson are funding IVF again!!

How far are you into this??

Love and hugs
Gizzy xxxxxxxx:)

Well I used to be under Chelmsford but the consultant there just kept telling I was too young for ivf so to just keep waiting!!! So I moved to Basildon. Because I work there and know mr haloob through work (am a midwife) I got cheekily fast tracked, but from what I gather it's a couple of months wait. If I was you I'd take all your test results with you for him to look at and he will decide what he wants to do.
There is also 2 fertility nurses, Gemma and Jessie who work along side him who are both lovely, especially Gemma!

We had 2 pregnancys cOnceived by clomid (as I don't ovulate) that both ended up ectopic, so now need ivf. However just as we got referred for it last year they stopped it on nhs so we went private at Herts and Essex and I cannot fault them, they were fantastic throughout! (you can go on an open evening there every last Thursday of the month where they go through ivf/icsi in so much depth) and their success rates are great.
It cost us about £7600 in total for ivf, and although I got 16 eggs taken, only 2 of them made it to blastocyst stage and although both implanted I had a miscarriage at 10weeks (in march this yr). So we then saw haloob again in may and he referred us again (to Oxford) for icsi (having Icsi this time as they think my eggs rejected his sperm!) we got the go ahead in July for ivf but have decided to wait a bit as not ready to put us through it again yet!

There was a 'fertility show' last week I London I went to, was so so interesting. There are lots of things out there to try before or along side ivf (acupuncture, Chinese medicine, reiki etc)

X

Hi Betsy sorry for the late reply.

I am sorry to hear about your MC, that much have been hard after the IVF so sorry to hear that it did not work. I have a very good feeling about ICSI for you though. It has a much better success rate than normal IVf so i wish you the best of luck. We do now have our first appointment. I am going to look up the Herts and Essex hospital now I have heard their sucess rates are really really good. I will let you know what the NHS say at first app, but all my private tests (inc hubby sperm) have come back normal although I have not done the HSG yet. I have tried accupunture and Reflexology so far. I liked them both but they did not work me. Having said that they did make me feel very very relaxed which is only a good thing and it did sort out other issues as well. I have not reied Reiki yet.

Anyway let me know how it goes and whether you decide to go ahead with the ICSI.

Thanks for th info

Gizzy Kelly xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back