What would you suggest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cam had peas carrots and pears yesterday and strawberry and apple today :)
Good stuff eh?

I know when Grace likes something cause she goes mmmmmm and smacks her lips with her tongue

Lol cam goes mmmmmh mmmmmh mmh constantly then proceeds to smear it everywhere :wall:

G also hated baby rice! The only food that we gave him that he refused to eat. He loves apples, pears, bananas and avocados though :) I cook apples and pears in a saucepan with a few spoons of water unil they are soft and then mash them. Bananas and avocados do not need cooking, I just mash them with a fork.

Good luck xx

I've got a lamb hotpot in the oven topped with sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes.

So I boiled some sweet potato and carrot and purée'd it. Went down quite well for a savoury baby food, so I've frozen some in the little angels freezer pots I bought. My first time using them :)

Im starting little man on baby rice next week coz the doc said it would help with his reflux!! xxx

This was one of the reasons I started R on porridge and ok we're only day 2 but her reflux has dramatically reduced already.

And she loves that porridge - it's like feeding a baby bird, she sits there with her mouth open ready bless her!!

How would you do mango? Just mash it??

I started Phoebe on Cow & Gate porridge and she loves it! She literally wolfs down the whole bowl in about 2 minutes! She has porridge for breakfast every morning and she has tea too she either has half of an Ella's kitchen sachet or I something I've made myself, she loves carrots and potatoes.
Those Ella's kitchen sachets are fab :) today she had plums, pears, parsnips and swede. Strange how they mix fruit and veg together lol but she loves it x

I think it's to disguise the veggies taste with fruit lol.
Cam eats a whole sachet :oooo:
The owners of Ella's kitchen must be loaded lol!

I will just say now that my reply is not aimed at any individuals on here, more like my “opinion/advice in general” from reading many posts about weaning such as this one.

I have 2 children one of whom was weaned “traditionally” at about 4 and a half months, and my second was BLW from 6 months.

Upon hearing about BLW whilst pregnant with my 2nd child I bought Gill Rapleys book and read it and it completely changed my opinion on traditional weaning or weaning from 4 months. Upon learning the reasons WHY they say not to wean before 6 months I will never do so again and regret doing so with my now 5 year old.

The majority of parents are still choosing a method of weaning (ie from 4 months) that has been passed down from generation to generation since the 1950’s or earlier, when actually there is scientific evidence and studies that have been carried out in the last few years which have discovered several valid reasons for NOT weaning before 6 months yet so many people still go with it... Imagine if people followed the same outdated advice for things such as medicine?

I am not “against” traditional weaning but having now learned the reasons behind NOT weaning until at least 6 months old I find it quite hard not to comment when I read many of the “big baby/small baby/hungry for more/waking at night/watching parents eat” type comments that pop up on here all the time. It is honestly just like re-reading the chapter in the BLW book on “False Signs of Readiness”

It is such a shame that there is not more awareness and understanding of the reasons why they say not to wean before 6 months, and infuriating that babyfood manufacturers are still allowed to label their food as “suitable from 4-6 months”. This makes parents think it’s “ok” because it says so on the label. I really think this will be changed legally within the next few years to 6 months (as previously happened in 1994 when they made it illegal to label as “suitable from 3 months”).

I realise this is quite a long post which some people may not agree with but for once I have bothered to sit here and type my “advice” for when someone asks “what foods should I try?”

So, my advice is “to wait until they are at least 6 months old and research the reasons why they advise to do so”. However, I’m sure had I just typed that as my reply I would have been subject to several responses saying I was just trying to start an argument etc, my long post above hopefully justifies my reasons for giving controversial advice.

And lastly, regarding babyrice/rusk/porridge: these are all very high in starch which means they are digested slowly and very filling… so even a little has the potential to spoil the baby’s appetite for breast/bottle milk which is the one thing baby ABSOLUTELY needs for up to the first year. This is often mistakenly seen as a good thing to fill baby’s up on it believing it will make them sleep for longer etc. It is not good to start weaning using only ONE food group (cereals/rusks etc) as babies need to have a varied diet containing all food groups from the very start. Waiting until 6 months ensures that the correct, varied diet can be offered from the first mouthful.

I think it's to disguise the veggies taste with fruit lol.
Cam eats a whole sachet :oooo:
The owners of Ella's kitchen must be loaded lol!

They are great for using while out and about too cos you can just squeeze it straight on the spoon :)
Out of interest, how many bottles a day is Cam having now you've started weaning? Phoebe has only had 4 today compared to her normal 5/6 I'm just wondering whether she's dropped her feeds cos she's full from food or whether its just cos of the heat x

Im starting little man on baby rice next week coz the doc said it would help with his reflux!! xxx

This was one of the reasons I started R on porridge and ok we're only day 2 but her reflux has dramatically reduced already.

And she loves that porridge - it's like feeding a baby bird, she sits there with her mouth open ready bless her!!

Pleased it makes a difference, was wondering how quickly it wud help as was thinking it wud be till he was fully weaned but that cud be months!! Might buy some porridge as a lot of people have said that this is best to start them with!!
xxxx

Going to try him with more apple and banana today; something tells me I will be eating lots of baby food in the near future :D

Last edited:
Yay, Treeze, glad someone dissed rusks at least!! Never gave my babies that as I thought they full of sugar!! I did traditional weaning and finger foods but not til 6 months, but am very proud to say that my babies never had a jar, packet or ella kitchen pouch. Cooking ur own food doesnt take as long as people think, u just freeze batches. I myself am big Annabell Karmel fan, cos a great cook I am not!! And found her recipes easy to follow.
Must just give fav tip for constipation.... Apples and raisins cooked in a bit of orange juice and pureed!! Brilliant!! :dance:

Treeze- I have read many articles about weaning, I personally do not want to do blw as it doesn't sit right with me, but it works well fr many and has many benefits. TW is the way I am and will be going as after research is my choice, I don't believe parents should need to justify their choices to anyone no matter what way they go with the weaning. My health visitor suggested weaning O as he was ready in her eyes. I give mostly fruit and veg and he has a rusk (reduced sugar) for brekkie! He is 5 months.

Mrscow- congrats on never giving a jar, when O further on in his weaning I am gonna purée whatever we r having for as we eat healthy most ofthe time. But the pouches r as the others have said handy when u go out.

I have no idea why people are misreading this thread's title as 'please, o enlightened minds, tell this poor pleb what to do, as she is incapable of making her own decisions'.

I was interested in knowing what other babies found palatable as a first food. Just want to say thank you again to all the ladies who've shared that, as it's been very helpful.

I'm 29 years old and more than capable of making my own decisions. Baby weaning is not an exact science, and, from the little experience with reading baby books I have, they give the most conflicting advice. And, if it's not conflicting, it changes back and forth as time passes. If anyone thinks they're in possession of universal truths, I think they should reconsider.

I refuse to post in this thread any more, this is supposed to be a fun time for me and Vincent.

Last edited:
I have no idea why people are misreading this thread's title as 'please, o enlightened minds, tell this poor pleb what to do, as she is incapable of making her own decisions'.

I was interested in knowing what other babies found palatable as a first food. Just want to say thank you again to all the ladies who've shared that, as it's been very helpful.

I'm 29 years old and more than capable of making my own decisions. Baby weaning is not an exact science, and, from the little experience with reading baby books I have, they give the most conflicting advice. And, if it's not conflicting, it changes back and forth as time passes. If anyone thinks they're in possession of universal truths, I think they should reconsider.

I refuse to post in this thread any more, this is supposed to be a fun time for me and Vincent.

Well said hunnie! :hugs: I am gonna start a TW thread in feeding and nutrition just for us who r goin down that route after making an INFORMED decision! Love to lil rice hating vince xxx

cam had carrot, and pears first
Xx

Sent from my shit hot phone! Fo shizzle home girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back