What if you don't induce?

SunnyGirl

Reaction score
Might be a silly question, but I know nothing of these things, but what happens if you go overdue but refuse induction? Surely baby appears when ready? Why are they so keen to induce by a certain date? This has always confused me!

Well this is my 3rd pregnancy. Was due to be induced with my 1st but she decided to come on her own that morning. 2nd Baby was induced and not a nice experience for me. With this baby im going to say i dont want to be induced. They just monitor you and baby to make sure he/she is ok. Think after 2 weeks they prefer them out as they can develop problems x

They will closely monitor the baby's and your health if you refuse induction but they can medically intervene if the baby's health starts to deteriorate, although i'm sure that if it got to that, the majority of mother's would be allowing them to do what was necessary to save their baby.

From what i can gather online, the placenta is only designed to support the baby for so long and is less efficient after 42 weeks so may not provide everything the baby needs. Also, the vernix protects the baby's skin from the amniotic fluid and that starts to break down in prep for the birth. My hospital authority don't induce until 42 weeks so theres gotta be some give and take.

I don't plan to be induced, unless totally necessary, baby will come when it's fully cooked! I read some interesting things about induction and you are within your rights to refuse it, a lot of the reasons we get induced go back to inaccurate studies from the 1950s and 1960s when birth was treated very differently. I read this website on the subject amongst others! http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/10/3/postdates-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

I posted the same question not so long ago hunny as I dont want to be induced either. I would never refuse it if my little missy or i was in danger though. Heres hoping our little ones arrive before induction is the only option x x

---
-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back