Upcoming colposcopy - smear abnormality worries

kittycat74

Reaction score
I had an early scan and tests last week which showed the baby and a strong heartbeat which was a relief. I'm 8 weeks pregnant now. However, what I didn't expect was the doc to call on Sat to tell me the smear showed abnormalities and i need to go in for a colposcopy for further examination. I know this kind of thing is relatively common and i'm aware what a colposcopy entails and may show up...and that this scare could prove to be nothing. My concern is partially that it might not be and i'll need surgery, or worse...but mostly if it does involve surgery on the cervix (tissue freezing or extraction or whatever they do), what are the chances of miscarriage etc? Has anyone else had this?

Hello

I had this done. It's not the nicest thing in the world but it isn't the worst either.

Basically they look at your cervix with a large camera (you get to see you cervix on a TV screen next to you which is bizare) and colour it with dye which shows up any abnormalities.

If you have any abnormalities they'll use an electrode to remove the cells. It's not exactly painful but for me it felt like having a hairdryer being held a bit close for comfort :shock: The whole process takes about 30 minutes and you're awake the whole time. They make give you a local anesthetic in the form of an injection into the cervix - not as bad as it sounds.

Afterwards I had slight cramping and a little bit of blood but I was fine after a couple of hours and some paracetamol.

My problem was pretty bad and i had over half of my cervix removed. This means that when I am pregnant I have to be monitored every couple of weeks to make sure my cervix is holding out (you can chose to have a cervical stitch put in). Mine held out to 33 + 5 (weeks) and Zara was fine.

I would be amazed if they do this whilst you're pregnant. My doctor wouldn't even do a smear test until after I had Zara. I would check this out before you go.

Good luck, try not to worry too much it's such a litttle thing to go through to make sure you're healthy!!! :D

Louise

Hiya Kitty

Does your consultant at the Colposcopy clinic know you are pregnant? Although Colposcopies can be done safely during pregnancy, treatment is usually left until after delivery.
Treatment will depend on the findings during the Coloposcopy (and possible biopsy) - But I really wouldn't think about possible treatments until your results come back. It is likely no action will need to be taken, but should any abnormality be found, the treatment will vary according to the type and severity of the abnormality. The technical term used to defined abnormal cells detected on biopsy is ‘Cervical Intra-epithelial Neoplasia’ which in layman’s terms means ‘Cervix; In the skin; New cells’. The abbreviation CIN is often used.
There are three grades of CIN. CIN 1 is when a third of the cells in the affected area are abnormal; CIN 2 is when two thirds are abnormal; and CIN 3 is when they are all abnormal. It is extremely rare for cancer to have already developed. Not all CIN needs treatment. Sometimes it can can go away on it’s own and is just watched. However, it is normal to recommend treatment for CIN 2 or CIN 3.

Hope everything goes well and the colposcopy is just a precaution. I will have my fingers crossed that all your results come back normal and no further treatment is required.
hand_signing_r_sc.gif

I really appreciate both of your responses. My younger sis actually had the same thing (not pregnant though) and she had to have surgery. I just hope it's not progressed to that stage. Yup, my doc knows i'm pregnant, the smear was done last week as part of the initial check-up. She is great and i will be sure to let her know i am aware it is not normal to perform treatment if the woman is pregnant. That was exactly my concern. I have great faith in her, but knowledge is power and I am in China... Thanks a million.x

Hi
Just got back from hospital. Not the nicest procedure in the world, but i guess giving birth is a lot worse!
Well she confirmed there is a dodgy area - it showed up with the camera thing. So she took a biopsy and i get the results in 2 weeks. I guess i just have to not stress and hope it's not 'invasive' which i'm told does require treatment even if i'm pregnant (ie cancer)..otherwise, they monitor closely throughout pregnancy and see how to procede after the birth. Not much i can do except wait and be positive it will be one of those situations that corrects itself, which i'm told can happen. And i've got a stinking cold. Great!
:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back