Unanswered questions of the universe...

Squiglet said:
lou said:
Why do male seahorses give birth?

er... because they deserve it? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If we are the dominate race on the planet how come we are one of the few creatures who give birth to offspring that are completely dependent on us... Alright you may say big brains but lets face it... it's surprising we made it out of the stone ages without all being eaten alive... :rotfl:

Most other mammals produce offspring that can at least move/walk... yet we are the only ones who produce offspring who can't even support their heads....

How did we get to where we are today? ...

Also... who came across the idea of fire....? I mean who came up with that idea and then to put food on that fire to make it more edible... did all his/her other tribesmen laugh at him/her??? :think: :think: :think:

I always think that nobody came across the idea of fire, I think they probably saw things like volcano's errupting, saw things caught on fire, saw humans and animals burnt and did the math. I find it unbelieveable that creationists think we lived along side the dinosaurs.??

LOL.. Creationists don't believe in Dinosaurs full stop... they don't appear in the bible so therefore cannot be real... :think:

Squiglet said:
LOL.. Creationists don't believe in Dinosaurs full stop... they don't appear in the bible so therefore cannot be real... :think:

WHAT???? :rotfl:

I thought when they opened the first ever creationist museum in America it had models of dinosaurs and humans together? I must be mistaken.

Thats absolute madness! What about dinosaur bones and fossils????

If we are the dominate race on the planet how come we are one of the few creatures who give birth to offspring that are completely dependent on us... Alright you may say big brains but lets face it... it's surprising we made it out of the stone ages without all being eaten alive...

Most other mammals produce offspring that can at least move/walk... yet we are the only ones who produce offspring who can't even support their heads....

Don't know if I'm on the same thought process as you but I once heard that we give birth to such dependant offspring because of the way we evolved.

When we were apes on all fours we gave birth to relatively independant young.

As we became more upright our pelvises narrowed and because of the increasing size of our brains too, had to give birth earlier on in the development of the fetus so it wasn't too large to pass through the narrower birth canal.

So we have a two-fold reason: larger brains and narrower pelvis due to being upright. These both lead to the necessity to give birth to totally dependant babies.

Ladybird said:
If we are the dominate race on the planet how come we are one of the few creatures who give birth to offspring that are completely dependent on us... Alright you may say big brains but lets face it... it's surprising we made it out of the stone ages without all being eaten alive...

Don't know if I'm on the same thought process as you but I once heard that we give birth to such dependant offspring because of the way we evolved.

As we became more upright our pelvises narrowed and because of the increasing size of our brains too, had to give birth earlier on in the development of the fetus so it wasn't too large to pass through the narrower birth canal.

So we have a two-fold reason: larger brains and narrower pelvis due to being upright. These both lead to the necessity to give birth to totally dependant babies.

Thats amazing. What about people who don't believe we evolved? I watched animal park the other day and they showed a gorrilla walking on 2 legs. Apparently he does it quite often. They also said that humans share 95% (or some other ridiculously high number) of DNA with apes. How can people still believe that god created everything?

:think:

We share 99.6% of our DNA with chimpanzees!!!!

That's closer than a horse and a zebra!!

(zoo keeper at chester zoo told me that)

Ladybird said:

My god thats awesome! Closer than a zebra and horse?! Blimey :shock:

So where exactly do Adam and Eve fit into the scheme of things then?

Lol, I once had some random guy try to chat to me on skype - he was a creationist and belonged to some bizarre cult, and his argument for creationism consisted of 'We don't come from monkeys - have you ever seen a monkey turn into a man? It isn't possible!' :? :shock:

elaine22 said:
Lol, I once had some random guy try to chat to me on skype - he was a creationist and belonged to some bizarre cult, and his argument for creationism consisted of 'We don't come from monkeys - have you ever seen a monkey turn into a man? It isn't possible!' :? :shock:

True there aren't any half man/half monkey's walking around, well apart from my town centre on a saturday night after closing time :wink:

I'm going to dig my God Dellusion book out later :think:

My understanding of Adam & Eve (as a Catholic) is that it is symbolic. The church totally accepts the theory of evolution. The story of creation as depicted in Genesis is exteremely old coming from a time where stories were told to help us understand difficult concepts.

Apart from theology, I don't think it fits in anywhere in today's understanding of creation and evolution.

Ladybird said:

Apparently we share our DNA with an awful lot of creatures on the plant...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... pe=science

AS for the whole dinosaur/creationist thing.. My ex's dad said there were no dinosaurs because they didn't appear in the bible but apparently in the US they don't deny dinosaurs existed just that they existed only about 6000 years ago when the world was created....

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/2.asp I personally feel this article is slightly derogatory or its made for kids...

:roll:

Ladybird said:

:think: :think: I've heard of this... I just still can't imagine how we didn't manage to get eaten by all those dinosaurs :rotfl:

:rotfl: Its because they were all veggies man!

Why do pubs have car parks and why do petrol stations sell alcohol? seeing as its illegal to drink and drive.

Why are you allowed to smoke in the car but you aren't allowed to eat food? (surely its the same action to do both - only the food isnt likely to set fire to the car if you drop it!)

Why did the pot call the kettle black anyway?

choklatemunky said:
Why do pubs have car parks and why do petrol stations sell alcohol? seeing as its illegal to drink and drive.

Why are you allowed to smoke in the car but you aren't allowed to eat food? (surely its the same action to do both - only the food isnt likely to set fire to the car if you drop it!)

Why did the pot call the kettle black anyway?

I thought it was illegal to smoke whilst driving now? I could be wrong though. :think:

Isn't the pot and kettle thing to do with them both being black from being heated on the stove - or is the material they are made out of?? That's probably nonsense lol! :rotfl:

trixipaws said:
libs said:
Trixiepaws question

because if every couple only ever had 2 children (ie one to replace each of them) the population stays the same size.

But they don't - hence the population grows.

And each of those people isn't just an ancestor to one person, but to many.

so are we all related then?

not all of us no - but genetically you're related to a very very large number of people

libs said:
trixipaws said:
libs said:
Trixiepaws question

because if every couple only ever had 2 children (ie one to replace each of them) the population stays the same size.

But they don't - hence the population grows.

And each of those people isn't just an ancestor to one person, but to many.

so are we all related then?

not all of us no - but genetically you're related to a very very large number of people

And cats and dogs and butterflies and pigs and mice and chimps.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Pubs have car parks because you don't have to drink in there - ditto garages selling alcohol - you don't have to drink it there

To prove my point BOTH places also sell condoms :wink:

libs said:
Pubs have car parks because you don't have to drink in there - ditto garages selling alcohol - you don't have to drink it there

To prove my point BOTH places also sell condoms :wink:

LOL and you've never known someone have sex in a pub... ??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: or a pub carpark for that matter :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mind you I think you might get some strange looks if you had sex in a garage... what with all the cctv... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

In australia they have drive through off license's. They are called bottle shops. You pull in, tell the shop assistant what you want and they load it up in your boot for you.

Talk about drinking and driving!!

Oh and for the record I've never had sex in a pub, car park or garage.

Maybe I should update my list of things to do before I die?....

Swim with dolphins.
Climb a mountain.
Bungee jump.
Have sex in a pub.
Swim in the Dead sea.
Visit my nan.
Have sex in a garage.
Clean the bathroom.
See the pyramids.
Have sex in a car park.

Thats gonna be one busy day!

:)