Homebirth (Lots of questions)

Rachel

Reaction score
Just got some questions about homebirth :)

How long after the birth do the midwifes stay?

What do they do while you are in labour, do they follow you everywere or leave you to do your own thing up to a point?

What should I get for my homebirth? Midwife has already said to get some old towels and 2 shower curtains but is there anything else you would recommend getting or that you found helpful to you?

What do the midwifes do after the birth?

Where did you give birth? Sitting room, bedroom etc

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up? Im getting my homebirth equipment on Tuesday and wondering how much space to make for it :think:

Do you have the two midwifes with you at all times or one at first then the two as babys birth is closer?

What do they bring with them for the birth?

Sorry about all the questions :lol:

Mine stayed for a couple of hours. Cally arrived at 11.22pm and they left at about 1-ish.

What do they do while you are in labour, do they follow you everywere or leave you to do your own thing up to a point?
Mymidwife stayed downstairs whilst I laboured upstairs. She was monitoring me every four hours but if I needed her she was there. She would just check I wasok every so often. I think if I had wanted her to be there more she would have been.

What should I get for my homebirth? Midwife has already said to get some old towels and 2 shower curtains but is there anything else you would recommend getting or that you found helpful to you?

Can't think of anthting more unlessyou want a waterbirth and need a pool, just make sure you have some snacks in for you and your partner (also tea and biscuits for the midwife)

CChecked and weighed Cally, checked me over and helped me to shower. Cleaned up all the ucky stuff and made sure I was in a clean bed. They wrote up all the paperwork that comes with a birth, and checked I wascomfortable, Cally was feeding ok and that we were both ok

I planned to give birth downstairs but ended up giving birth on my bed

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up? Im getting my homebirth equipment on Tuesday and wondering how much space to make for it
I think it differs from area to area but we just had a small plastic box with all the stuff in - didn't take upmuch room

Do you have the two midwifes with you at all times or one at first then the two as babys birth is closer?
Nope, there is one with you for the labour and when you are about to deliver they will call for the second midwife. They may have a student with them and ask if they can attend - I had a student at mine as well as the midwife, and Cally came so fast she beat the second midwife

Mine brought the gas and air and other supplies (for the delivary) but I can't remember exactly

www.homebirth.org is a great resource :)

I had a really quick labour so mine isn't necassarily a 'usual' case but I'll try to answer based on my experience:

They have to wait until you've done a wee, and write up loads of paperwork.

I couldn't really wander around by the time my first midwife arrived I was getting contractions almost constantly. But she was very hands off and told me in advance if she wanted to examine me so that I could get reasy. She stayed in the same room but so did I so hard to say if she would have followed me!

What should I get for my homebirth?
I got a cheap plastic sheet from wilkos rather than shower curtains because it was bigger and cheaper! Other than that you'll need some bin bags, and angle lamp or torch for the MW to examine you, and a clock with a second hand to time your contractions and check the time the baby's born. The midwife may need a desk or table to write on too. I found my birth ball invaluable too. And as beanie said, if you want a waterbirth then you'll need a pool and all the paraphenalia that goes with it!

Write up paperwork (mine had to write up all the stuff they usually write as they go along too because they hadn't had a chance while I was actually giving birth).

Where did you give birth?
I had planned to give birth in a pool in my living room, and had 'temporarily' moved into our small spare bedroom (we're in a bungalow so all on one floor) along with all the clutter from the living room, while my mum & OH put up the pool. I ended up going so quickly that I gave birth in the spare room in the end, with 5 of us (+ baby) crammed in! I don't think I'd want to do it in the bedroom, it's pretty messy.

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up?
I got a smallish pack all sterile and sealed (so no peeking :wink: ) and a pack of paperwork. I just kept it in the cot because it was out of the way.

Usually when you first phone up they'll send out the on call midwife to examine you. If you've got a while to go she'll then go again and arrange to pop back in a couple of hours, or tell you to call her later. If you're fairly close she'll stay and keep an eye of you. Then when you get close to the birth she'll call a second midwife to come out.

What do they bring with them for the birth
Usually just gas & air because the rest will be already in your house in the pack you get in advance. Sometimes they won't bring gas & air out for the first visit - mine didn't arrive until the second midwife came but I didn't use it in the end. They'll also bring things like scales to weigh the baby after it's born etc but to be honest I didn't pay much attention to what they brought.

Good luck, I loved my homebirth and am definitely planning another one this time round! :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, really helpfull :D

Im glad they leave you to it while your in labour aswell :D Always thought they would be following me where ever I went, lol.

Will have to remember to get some biscuits for the midwife aswell :)

My experience

Mine both stayed till about 9-9.30 am. Galen was born at 5.34 and they both stayed till they were happy all was well, Galen had breastfed fine and we were ok with them leaving.

My MW and I were on the same page here. She pretty much left me to it and only stepped in when I asked her to or she needed to monitor LO's heartbeat or my BP etc. She remained in the same room as me at all times (other than when she needed the bathroom) and kept a discreet distance in the background and just talked to me quietly. She had lots of paperwork to fill in as each small thing happened (ie contraction, me taking fluids or food etc) and did that as I progressed. She gave me 2 internals, one when my waters broke and the other to see when I was fully dilated. Other than that, she left me and hubby to ourselves. I looked to her when I needed advice or support. She helped when she saw things were not going quite as they should be etc.

I have a list. Its quite long.

Bucket (for weeing or vomiting into)
Birthpool (ours cost £14 and worked well)
Old towels x 3
Old sheet and clean sheet for bed (if you deliver on it)
Flannels
Towels for baby after birth
Black bag for rubbish
Bendy straws
Torch (in case you need stitching)
Food and drink
Clock (to time everything)

Erm there are more things, you can find out as you get nearer.

Cut cord, wait for you to deliver placenta and check it. Check baby over. Check you over. Repair any tears etc if needed. Dry and dress baby. Help you shower. Make a cuppa :) Clean up all the stuff and bag it into yellow bags and take away with them. Assist with you breastfeeding (one won't leave till this is successful if you are BF'ing).

Sitting room. I had a birth pool but got out and stood and squatted to deliver. Hubby was supporting me when squatting and once LO's head crowned I remained standing and pushed him out while standing.

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up? Im getting my homebirth equipment on Tuesday and wondering how much space to make for it :think:

Its a large plastic box is all. They bring the gas and air when they come out. Not much room needed at all. Its all sterile and sealed and they open it once they arrive to your house.

One comes out when either a) you ask her to or b) your contractions reach a certain time apart and last for a certain amount of time. The second MW is called out by the first when the second stage is looming. She knows when to make the call :) The second MW may leave sooner than the first once baby is born, depends if there is another birth to go assist on.

FWIW my MW came out around 4pm to see me and we were both happy she went away again and would come back when I felt I needed her later on. I then didn't call her till 8.30 pm and she was back at 9pm. My contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting 50 plus seconds at this point. They tend not to remain unless its labour prope and not the pre labour niggles. Much as you would labour at home till going to hospital is really how you work on when to call your MW and have her stay.

Gas and air and a few other bits but everything else they need is in the home birth kit or provided by you.

Hope that helps :) Might want to have a read of my homebirth story to give you some idea of how mine went :)

Good luck

Thanks Sherlock :) I have just read your birth story aswell and sounds like a great experience :D

Im hoping to breastfeed aswell so im glad they will stay and make sure it's going well before leaving :)

im hopefully going to be having a home birth as well providing everything continues to go ok... all our midwife has told us so far to get is a big plastic sheet or shower curtain which the boyfriend finds a scream as he wants to buy me some tarpaulin (?sp) now :)

one question though after reading everyones answers......
bendy straws?!? :wink:

kerryp said:
one question though after reading everyones answers......
bendy straws?!? :wink:

I revealed all about the bendy straw usage in an earlier thread in third tri. Here is a copy and paste of it for you :) ......

You will need

3 bendy straws
2 large paper cups with lids (but don't actually use them both)

First you take a straw each, you and OH. Then you pretend to have a Jedi light saber fight with each other. One is Darth Vadar, the other Luke Skywalker. Its very cool.

Then you get 1 of the empty large paper cups without plastic lid. Give this one to whoever is Luke. Then whoever is Darth pretends to lop your hand off with said lightsaber bendy straw. Whoever is Luke sticks their hand inside the cup and does their best Luke Skywalker impersonation losing his hand with a Darth Vadar straw strike!

:dance:

The other paper cup with lid, you fill with water/juice, stick bendy straw in and drink from :rotfl:

Sorry, my bad, could not resist :roll:

Just to be able to drink more easily. Straws that don't bend are awkward. You will be maybe wanting to sip a drink and have someone else holding it, so bendy straw makes sense :)

:hug: :hug:

I had the baby at 4.30pm and the last midwife left around 8ish

My labour was very quick and so they stayed with me the whole time - mind you, by the time they got there I was 9.5 cm dilated and the baby was very close to being born.

I just used towels! Wasn't planning on having a homebirth but we didn't need anything else. MW had a plastic sheet in the car. Those big maternity sheets were good - the ones you put under your matress.

Apart from all the notes they have to take, she weighed him, helped me to get him feeding, helped me with a bath

in the lounge. Hanging over the settee!

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up? Im getting my homebirth equipment on Tuesday and wondering how much space to make for it
Hardly any.

I had 3!!! My named MW delivere the baby but was due to go off duty so she rang up to ask for help and 2 more came.

Gas & air. A biohazard bag for the mucky stuff to be taken away in plus the jab for the placenta etc.

the MWs stayed at ours for about an hour

while i was in labour, i think they mostly just sat and watched me and kept an eye on me. every so often they'd put the baby-heartbeat-monitor-thing on my bump, and they would rub my back and let me crush their hands and told me i was doing really well! probably chatted to my boyf, i dont know!

i ignored the advice for old towels, plastic sheets etc coz i planned to pop the baby out under the water (i had a birth pool) so i figured all the gunk etc would stay in the pool anyway! but i ended up giving birth on the bed i wasnt prepared lol i think my boyf just grabbed ALL the towels out of the linen cupboard (which handily, is just above the bed!) luckily, it wasnt a messy birth anyway and the bit of towel/bed linen/whatever it was that did get some blood on my mum took home and laundered for me! good old mummy lol)

after the birth, the MWs wrote in my maternity and postnatal notes, they weighed and checked baby over, nappyfied and dressed her for me, stitched up my fanny, took my pulse and blood pressure, made me get a shower, helped me with breast-feeding, asked how i was etc gathered all their things and left.

i gave birth in the bedroom, i'd intended to in the dining room where the pool was but i hadnt been progressing well there.

um, i cant remember how much stuff, i think they just had a bag each (a fairly big bag) and a couple cans of gas & air, i dont know. i dont think it took up much space really.

LOL i had one with me at first but apparently she was panicking on the fone to the other one coz i was progressing really fast for a first-timer and she said later she'd been worried i was gonna pop the baby out before the other one got here! i got quite far on my own tho before the first one even came (i was 5cm) so didnt leave long before the other one arrived. i guess if the first one had showed up when i was only cm or something she mightve been on her own for much longer. i dont kno coz i dont kno what time it would have been when i was that far.

this is something i dont remember much about, i can only answer really by what i remember them using, therefore they mustve brought it! they brought gas&air coz i had some of that, they brought a blood-pressure thing and a heart-monitor. they mustve brought a scale to weigh the baby on. and a needle and thread LOL
oh and some of those absorbent mats like huge sanitary towels. ykwim? coz they put them under me to save the bed a bit hehe

good luck hope it all goes well for ya! xx

Hey Rachel,

DD was born at 9.03am. I delivered the placenta within 25 mins (no injection) and she was weighed and checked over etc. The second midwife left fairly quickly after this (maybe around 9.45/10am?) to attend another local homebirth. The first midwife left around 11amish after she'd helped me through to the bedroom, I'd breastfed and been to the loo - I know it was late morning, but that's a guess really. She came back around 5pm and helped me with my second breastfeed (DD had slept since she'd left!)

Mine were great. They just seemed to sense what I needed. Sometimes they would rub hard on my lower back (this really helped), other times they'd be chatting amongst themselves (which in my paranoid labouring state I hated - I thought they were laughing at me, when in actual fact they were just gossiping - ooops!), or they'd help me through contractions - they were brilliant.

What should I get for my homebirth?
I had a birth pool in a box, which I couldn't recommend highly enough. It was fantastic. I also would recommend a mirror or two (I got cheap ones from Ikea) and a torch, to allow the midwives to see whats happening. We had plastic sheeting from B&Q and loads of old clean towels. A water spray is a good idea as well as a big hairband to keep your hair off your face and a facecloth. A tens machine - mine was my best friend, what a fantastic invention. I also got in lots of cereal bars and bottles of water and crisps and juice for OH, oh and biscuits and tea for the midwives. I'm sure there was other stuff too, but its slipped my mind.

One took DD and did all the checks, weighing etc (this is after I'd held her in the pool and OH had done 15 mins or so skin-to-skin) and did all the paperwork. The other one did more paperwork (I think they have to write down everything in loads of detail) and helped me to deliver the placenta. Then one left and one helped me to breastfeed in the bedroom (OH had put on fresh sheets which was just lovely) and helped me to the loo, I fainted a few times on the way but I was just a bit worn out I think. They also checked me over downstairs and told me the damage!

Where did you give birth?
I gave birth where I'd planned to in the birth pool in the living room.

How much room does all the stuff they bring with them take up?
I got a large unopenable box delivered just before 38 weeks - like the size of a storage box. I got a huge bottle of gas and air delivered from the hospital and a nice fireman came round to check it all. Nothing took up that much room - I kept everything I would need when I went into labour in one place and made sure OH knew where everything was and what it was for. I found it helpful to have a box of stuff I'd only use at home (as listed above) but a labour bag and seperate baby bag with stuff I'd need regardless of where I was giving birth (toiletries, nursing bras, maternity and breast pads etc in the labour one - sleepsuits, hats, scratch mitts, nappies etc in the baby one) so we could just grab those two bags and go if we had to go into hospital in a hurry (not that that happened, but I'd have liked to have been prepared and unhurried if it did).

I had one until about 2 hours before my daughter's birth then the second one came along. I know someone else was giving birth at home in my local area at the same time as they were getting antsy about one getting away to attend that birth (has to be two midwives at every birth).

What do they bring with them for the birth
I can't remember. They must have brought the scales but I'm not sure. Maybe they were in the home birth box. I don't remember them really bringing much really.

Good luck - giving birth at home in your own environment is an amazing experience. My birth story is here - clicky, if you fancy a read.

Valentine Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back