too wierd?

PuddleDuck

Reaction score
Hi, this is only my second time speaking up on here instead of just stalking all the brilliant threads! I wondered if all you lovely ladies can give me some opinions on whether my baby brain is making me mental or if the names i like most are actually nice.

I'm 17+4 today and hoping to have the willpower to stay team yellow at my 20 week scan, dunno if i'll manage it though!

Anyways, here goes.....

If little blob is a boy we love Maverick, my fiancee is Richard and so it's kind of a pass-down (the rick bit) but also different (i love unusual names but don't want to go too far and am scared this is just over that line!). For short it could be Rick, Mav, even Mak?

If little blob is a girl we love Nova, but think we'd call her November as a full name and Nova for short. Richards family has a month naming tradition (June, April and May) and we'd like to carry it on but think the majority of the time we'd use Nova.

Are we just too wierd?? honesty is much appreciated in my book =)

They're too out there for me hun but if you both like them then go for it.
I always think "if my child was going for an interview as a lawyer, would that name be laughed at/acceptable"
I also think "would I like that to be my name right now".
I think that's a good way of thinking xx

I'm not sure tbh. They could grow on me. I don't love, but don't hate either. Maverick is a bit top gun, but why not. Quite like Mav.

Why November? Is it when you conceived?

xx

I neither dislike or love the names, but it's what you and your oh thinks that matters. I prefer nova to November though

I always think "if my child was going for an interview as a lawyer, would that name be laughed at/acceptable"

I think that's a good way of thinking xx

I do that too:)
They wouldn't be my cup of tea either I'm afraid, but then it's not my child.

I think Maverick is surprisingly nice sounding, if a little comical for some reason.

I assume baby will just be called Rick though by everyone...

As for Nova, i think it's nice too - like Nora but modern.

I really do not like November though and i don't think Nova is a very good shortened version of November either xx

Thanks so much for the feedback, it helps to get feedback and other peoples perceptions =)

I like Nova, but think Maverick and November are a bit out there.

what I do is always imagine registration in primary school. When the teacher shouts our your kids name, are the other kids gonna laugh at them?

think Nova is a lovely name x

Love November as a name, Nova for short is brilliant. If I have a girl I'm calling her April. I also really like January as a girls name.
Maverick for a boy is really good too x

I kind of like them both actually - I wouldn't name my kids either of the names though.

I do like Nova / November but it's just too cheesy to name a child after the month they were born in???

(when is your bean due by the way? Because whilst it is cheesy to name a baby born in Nov November it seems just silly to name a child born is say August November?)

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hello again! loving getting opinions on this =) November because it's the month we conceived. I'm actually surprised that noone has said they outright hate the names but it's very reassuring.

Any other ideas?? i've looked at and thought through so so many names, i love beatrice (bea) and Erin for girls too and Dexter is probably more my favourite than Maverick for a boy, but the other half is not a fan! oh, and carnat, i'm due in August =)

Last edited:
I love both names ! I don't actually think there too far out there, much better than to have a top 10 name in my eyes.

I think baby would autmatically get called Mav rather than Rick, esp if your oh is Richard already. I think even with the lovely topgun usgae it only makes it a stronger soundign name actually, very masculine!

I like the idea of having a girl named after the month or birth etc, I would name a girl April for example if born in April - but conception naming could be more tricky as not ovious, if baby not born in that month, not sure I would want the birds and bees conversation with a little girl over why she got her name from conception, andshe would want to know before old enougth to know the bords and bees if you know what I mean!

Have you thought about Ember for a girl? as a short for November, and you will know the meaning

I prefer Mav to Rick to be honest, and i didn't think about the birds and the bees aspect of it, i just thought i'd tell her that's when she was put in my tummy as a special early christmas present for us!

We did think of Ember as a short for November (and saw it as a good option for her to have when she was older) but love Nova too much. I saw both names as having a few options for them to choose from themselves as they grow. I'm Jeni and though some people call me Jen, i always wondered why my parents didn't go for Jennifer to give me that option so like the thought that there are a few different shortenings to choose from. Sorry if that's a bit rambly, i'm really tired!

Maverick makes me think of Tom Cruise and anything that makes me think of him I like :) and if he is half as cute your sorted.

In all seriousness I love both the names you have chosen, i used to know a Nova at school.

xxx

Hello again! loving getting opinions on this =) November because it's the month we conceived. I'm actually surprised that noone has said they outright hate the names but it's very reassuring.

Any other ideas?? i've looked at and thought through so so many names, i love beatrice (bea) and Erin for girls too and Dexter is probably more my favourite than Maverick for a boy, but the other half is not a fan! oh, and carnat, i'm due in August =)

LOL - good guess hey (I used the baby whole 'baby born in August but called November will sound silly' as an example - sorry :shock:)

OH loves the name Erin actually (I am not too keen) but I do prefer Dexter to Maverick

xxxxxxxxxxx

I like Nova, but not November if Im honest. I cant think of many surnames that would sound good with November,not sure what your lo's would be. My oh's friend called his son Maverick. Wouldnt be my choice but I've definitely heard worse, and I quite like it shortened to Mav.

In all honesty I'm not too keen on either *sorry!* Maverick reminds me of Top Gun too much and when I was a kid at school there was a girl called June and she definately had lots of remarks made at her by other children in the month of June. x

Thanks everyone for the responses, I'm suitably assured that although definitely a little "out there" they probably aren't tooo wierd =)

Sorry everyone for not replying very quickly, i don't get on the computer every day, that's why although i've read looooaaads of the threads on here (i love them) i haven't said very much. I don't want people to think i'm rude if i don't reply!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back