Think about giving birth/Labour

Reaction score
As this is my first pregnancy I have no idea what to expect and now I keep thinking about the labour and giving birth.

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share on

1. How long you where in Labour for ?
2. What you where wearing during labour ?
3. Offer any advice to a first time mum ?
4. What pain relief did you opt for ?

As this is my first pregnancy I have no idea what to expect and now I keep thinking about the labour and giving birth.

About 30 hours in total

A nightie

Relax and go with your body. Remind yourself that you can do it. Be positive

G&A only

I really enjoyed labour. Yes it was painful, very painful at times. It was hard, and at points I thought I couldn't do it, but it really is a wonderful experience.

Enjoy it!

Good thread!

1. Recorded on my notes as 6 hours 52 mins but arrived at hospital at 8cm so I'm going to guess roughly 12 hours.
2. I wore day clothes for most of labour then wore just a boob tube for pool and pushing.
3. Tie your hair up out the way before you can't! Hubby is crap at it and it was hanging in my face and pissing me off! Thank god for my mum lol!
4. Used tens, water for a bit, tried gas and air but just went without in the end.

Good thread!

1. Recorded on my notes as 6 hours 52 mins but arrived at hospital at 8cm so I'm going to guess roughly 12 hours.
2. I wore day clothes for most of labour then wore just a boob tube for pool and pushing.
3. Tie your hair up out the way before you can't! Hubby is crap at it and it was hanging in my face and pissing me off! Thank god for my mum lol!
4. Used tens, water for a bit, tried gas and air but just went without in the end.
6 hours 52 mins sounds good :) and especially with just some G&A. Good tip about the hair.........lol

x

G&A only

I really enjoyed labour. Yes it was painful, very painful at times. It was hard, and at points I thought I couldn't do it, but it really is a wonderful experience.

Enjoy it!
G&A only is amazing hope im this lucky lol .........I will try and enjoy the experience but not sure how well I will do x

1. How long you where in Labour for ? 50 hours from first contraction to delivering. 36h at home and 14h in hospital
2. What you where wearing during labour ? A long maternity nightie
3. Offer any advice to a first time mum ? Advice for labour is: do not make any plans, do not have and "ideals" just go with what happens on the day. Do what you have to do and try not to worry or overthink.
4. What pain relief did you opt for ? Gas and Air and one shot of diamorphine

xxxxxxx

50 HOURS ..........OMG :( . That's the only plan I have is to go with the flow and what happens will happen. Diamorphine , I have never heard of this

x

I wasn't in labour. I went in due to lack if fetal movement at 38+5 and had an emergency c-section

Before c-section, my baby shower clothes as I was planning on heading off to that after. During c-section a delightful hospital gown .

Like Carnat said, don't set your heart on a particular birth as it may not happen. I was planning on a water birth!

Spinal block ;)

By the time you get to 35 weeks you'll be excited about labour and willing that baby to come out. Good luck chick and don't worry about labour, enjoy the pregnancy!x

Don't be dead set on a birthplan.
Yes know things that you would like to try, yes know things you would prefer to avoid but I wouldn't be any more definite than that. Birth rarely goes to plan and by having a rigid birth plan you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'd also say don't worry about the pain, don't lose a second of sleep about it.
Start of with period like cramps? Try a bath, try tens, paracetamol.
Getting a bit more intense? Try some gas or pethidine.
Don't want to feel this anymore? (I don't blame you!) go for an epi.
Don't be scared of an epi, they are wonderful for most ladies and über safe these days. You won't see any needles (unless you want to) and will only feel a scratch as the local is injected and some pressure. Then tingly legs and ahhhhhh bliss.
Then sit back, have a nap, watch tv and wait for the mw to tell you to push!

Moral of the story - go with the flow and only deal with the pain you feel you can cope with! x

I kept my mind open about pain relief and things.
First labour -12 hours, g&a and an epi(best thing ever)
Second labour - 2 hours , g&a

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Oh, and keep mobile as long as you can, it will really help!
Also, induction isn't as scary ad it sounds either! x

- 6 hours, it all happened very quickly! Waters broke at home with light meconium so went straight in and at my first (and only) examination I was 7cm
- T shirt and jogging bottoms at the start, bra and socks by the end!
- Enjoy it! I absolutely loved it. Yes it bloody well hurts but even on the phone to my mum just 2 hours later I was talking about "next time"! Personally I didn't feel prepared for immediately after the birth. I didn't realise how much blood there would be, didn't expect it to take 45 mins to get in the shower because I was so faint. That was the worst bit for me, feeling so sick and dizzy after, that and being stitched back up.
- Gas & air only

50 HOURS ..........OMG :( . That's the only plan I have is to go with the flow and what happens will happen. Diamorphine , I have never heard of this

x

I was traumatised afterwards BUT now I cannot wait to have number 2.

Also I had an awful, long painful labour but I had a lovely delivery (no tears or grazes and no stitches. I was up having a wee after about 10 minutes!!)

Diamorphine is the same a Pethadine

xxxxxxx

Don't be dead set on a birthplan.
Yes know things that you would like to try, yes know things you would prefer to avoid but I wouldn't be any more definite than that. Birth rarely goes to plan and by having a rigid birth plan you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'd also say don't worry about the pain, don't lose a second of sleep about it.
Start of with period like cramps? Try a bath, try tens, paracetamol.
Getting a bit more intense? Try some gas or pethidine.
Don't want to feel this anymore? (I don't blame you!) go for an epi.
Don't be scared of an epi, they are wonderful for most ladies and über safe these days. You won't see any needles (unless you want to) and will only feel a scratch as the local is injected and some pressure. Then tingly legs and ahhhhhh bliss.
Then sit back, have a nap, watch tv and wait for the mw to tell you to push!

Moral of the story - go with the flow and only deal with the pain you feel you can cope with! x
very good advice about pain :) .............planning to go with the flow and see how I feel as everyone deals with pain in a different way

xx

- 6 hours, it all happened very quickly! Waters broke at home with light meconium so went straight in and at my first (and only) examination I was 7cm
- T shirt and jogging bottoms at the start, bra and socks by the end!
- Enjoy it! I absolutely loved it. Yes it bloody well hurts but even on the phone to my mum just 2 hours later I was talking about "next time"! Personally I didn't feel prepared for immediately after the birth. I didn't realise how much blood there would be, didn't expect it to take 45 mins to get in the shower because I was so faint. That was the worst bit for me, feeling so sick and dizzy after, that and being stitched back up.
- Gas & air only
Looks like i'm going to have to read up on the birth and after ............as like yourself I have no idea what to expect and would like to know what's going to happen after the birth ie the blood etc so I can be prepared

x

its not half as bad as ppl make out if you stay calm

1. How long you where in Labour for ? 24 hours
2. What you where wearing during labour ? hospital gown
3. Offer any advice to a first time mum ? stay upright and move around/walk for as long as you can and choose a good birthing position if possible
4. What pain relief did you opt for ? i had gas and air, couldnt get the epi in at 9cm so if you want it ask at 5/6cm and had diamorphine at the end but it didnt make a difference, im sticking with gas this time

On the induction front I would urge folks who haven't been through it to research it thoroughly and make an informed decision at the time. Sadly my induction didn't go well and I ended up with a emergency c section. The whole thing is my biggest regret for my last pregnancy.

Saying that inductions do have there place and are necessary in some circumstances. All I'm saying is go into knowing fully what it involves so you can make informed decisions.

My personal opinion on inductions is that they work best if your body is ready to give birth. I based this on personal experience and the experiences various friends have had. Bu it is up to the individual to come to their own conclusions.

It is true that when your time comes you can only really go with the flow. All I can say is try and relax and see where it takes you. Oh and that G&A rocks :)

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

My notes say I had a 7 hour labour, I was at hospital 3 hours 45 minutes.
I just had gas and air and wore one of my mums nighties (he was 3 weeks early and I was far from prepared!!)

My advice in labour would be to keep as upright and mobile as your body will let you. I went from 4cm to fully dilated in 3 hours as I just walked around till the pain was too much and by that time I was ready to push.
Don't expect anything!! It will never go the way you planned! I was cut due to the cord being wrapped round his neck and had stitches inside and out.

But enjoy your pregnancy, listen to your body and go with the flow, every woman is different.

Baby one

12 + hours three days slow labour

2. What you where wearing during labour ? A hospital gown

Don't panic , sleep while you can , eat while you can . Lots of small sips of water . Listen to your body keep active and don't lie down if you can help it .

Epi , spinal block , pethadine and had and air

Baby number two
Labour was 43 minutes
I wore a t-shirt
Had no pain relief as I didn't have time ;)
Stay calm listen to your body and don't panic is the best advice I can give you

Baby one

12 + hours three days slow labour

2. What you where wearing during labour ? A hospital gown

Don't panic , sleep while you can , eat while you can . Lots of small sips of water . Listen to your body keep active and don't lie down if you can help it .

Epi , spinal block , pethadine and had and air

Baby number two
Labour was 43 minutes
I wore a t-shirt
Had no pain relief as I didn't have time ;)
Stay calm listen to your body and don't panic is the best advice I can give you
43 minutes for your second baby that is awesome :). You do so many people advice to stay upright and not to lie down ??

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back