Still not sitting up at 7.5 months???

CARNAT22

Reaction score
I know that I shouldn't compare against other babies but I am now getting a bit worried.

James sits fine against me (he needs minimal support), he is fine in highchair and bumbo, we are doing BLW and that is all good. He just wont sit up... I have tried spreading his legs but he just topples over.

He can do it for a few seconds but then he is down?

I am getting a bit worried now, shall I take him to see HV?

He is developmentally fine (very noisy & chatty, very nosy and loves to look at everything, eating well, rolls over fine and has very strong legs - he can stand against furniture for a few seconds unaided) it is just the sitting. We use pillows to prop him up and he kind of slides himself down lol.

xxxxxxxx

Im sure he is fine and i would say don't worry but I'm the same, my hv is coming to do 9 month check tomorrow and I'm worried that k won't stand with support, he puts his feet on their sides and lifts his legs up and he doesn't crawl either but like James is very bright And development otherwise is brilliant. If It makes you feel happier then go see your hv xxx

He is tall isnt he?? I think its harder for them to sit if they are long.

I wouldnt worry. I work with babies and have known many childen not sit til a lot later.

Babies are always forward with lots of things and not so good at others...I remember James rolling early and that's obviously his 'thing'.

I'd wait a couple more months to speak to hv xxx

I'd say if he's doing it for a few seconds then it's just a case of keeping on practising? A was doing it for a few seconds one week and a couple of minutes the week after. It seems so simple to us but I guess it takes a lot of practice to get their balance just right!xx

Don't you worry hun, he will all of a sudden just sit up completely un aided I assure you. My Daughter was the same, behind on every milestone and all of a sudden she did everything in the space of a couple of weeks. He is absolutely fine and gorgeous and I am 100% sure there is nothing at all wrong with him x

I wouldn't worry at all, my friend little girl is 9 months and only just started sitting up properly for more than a few seconds during the week there. I know what it's like to worry so if it'll put your mind at ease have a wee chat with your Hv but I'm sure all is fine. He's so scrummy nothing else matters anyway! :-D xxx

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry. sophie was a lazy moo and didnt sit properly on her own without tipping til 8.5 months. She tummy crawled from 8months and now crawling properly since 10 months. He probably knows how just doesnt want to yet :) x

Don't worry Hun, Mia has only been sitting unaided for about a month and has only just started pulling herself up to sit. She still doesn't stand flat footed and doesn't crawl. It's easy to say cos I worry too but they all develop at their own rate xx

If it would make you feel better then speak to your HV. But I doubt it's anything to worry about.cx

I hate to compare children and I really don't think it's anything to worry about but I may see the HV on Friday as we're not back at the clinic until after the summer holidays [although I can go to several walk-in's locally if I have any concerns)

It is so hard not to compare though? James has a cousin who is 3 weeks younger and seems much more advanced?

James has only just grown a little hair and he is still toothless as well - bless him!

xxxxxxxxxx

Jack sat at 8mths, crawled at 9 mths exactly (slept through from then too), stood unaided at 11mths and walked at 15mths. He's always been a little behind his peers and it doesn't help that he likes to do things in his own way which is usually the opposite to everyone else lol. He's also a lefty. No idea if that makes a difference?!

Don't worry just yet, especially if he can sit with you giving minimal support. Perhaps he just hasn't got the confidence to do it without Mummy yet x

Ah, don't worry, hun. I was worried for ages that T was behind - she didn't roll, crawl or try to do anything for months and months. Then suddenly at 11 months she started showing the will to actually TRY to do stuff, and then all of a sudden at 11.5 months, she just upped and crawled whilst we were on holiday. It was amazing. Now she's everywhere, moving around and getting up onto her feet with real agility, and it's come from nowhere. There's no amount of teaching or training that we can do - they will do it in their own time.

With regard to sitting, she could sit unaided from about 6 months, but she'd fling herself back so often that I'd put pillows behind her to stop her from hurting herself. Then one day I just went cold turkey and I think that once she realized that there was nothing there to fling herself onto, she stopped doing it. He'll be just fine, hun xxx

Try not to worry I'm sure he will sit in his own sweet time. Although J does sit she doesn't roll. She managed it maybe twice and you could see it was a shock to her so she hasny done it again. She also doesn't have teeth yet and shows no sign of teething really.

James can sit. Just not for very long. Keep practising with him and he'll work it out in no time Hun xx

I'd try not to worry Hun, Aaron literally just say up one day.

I did have some exercises to work with him though if you are interested in any of them x

Tapatalking!

I'd try not to worry Hun, Aaron literally just say up one day.

I did have some exercises to work with him though if you are interested in any of them x

Tapatalking!

Any info you have would be useful, just want to know if I am on the right track really?

I have him between my legs a lot, and on the carpet surrounded by pillows.. I tend not to practice sitting on soft surfaces like the bed?

xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx

Practice on a hard surface, sit him down and put a little pressure on his hips - he will probably rock back and forth, but put more pressure to keep him steady and let him work his core.

You really need a second person for this bit - or an activity centre. Put a toy at eye level in front of him to encourage his eye level "up"

I found that Aaron's sitting came on loads when we had him in the playnest as he was able to sit and relax as he pleased. It was only £12 from Argos

Tapatalking!

My friends twins are 7.5 months and don't sit up yet. My health visitor said they don't start worrying or checking about sitting up till 10 months. X

They all do things in their own time, my jack was a roller. He didn't sit unaided until nearly 8 months then commando crawled until amount 11 months when he started crawling properly all the time and started walking at exactly 14 months which I think is the average.

It will go so quick and he'll be walking, just enjoy every second xx

Thanks ladies!!

Tweety, I've heard you mention A's playnest a fair bit.

Do you have a link to the one you have??? I can only see one on the Argos website?

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back