SPD Support Thread

I've just decided that SPD is like having toothache in your fanny!

Thats all

I'm getting shooting pains in my hips just now and Im shaking the pain is that bad. My sofa isn't great ... its a recliner and I think it's aggravating it ... but I have nowhere else to sit!

Meant to go for a bath, but the football is on and I wanted to watch it :wall2: now its too late, I'm falling asleep

Remember this thread? http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/pregnancy-chat/229456-how-spd-starts.html I described my initial pains as having toothache in my hips. At that point you were keeping your fingers crossed you wouldn't get SPD. No such luck for either of us obviously :( xx

Keep pushing your GP/MW, I've been in and out of the surgery or on the phone a lot!! I was diagnosed with it at 13 weeks (which is fairly uncommon apparently!) I've just been referred to a women's health physio this Thursday, and I'm hoping she can help as I am not comfortable sitting, standing or lying down :( I seriously hoping that she can help and that it doesn't get any worse! Another 4 months of progressively getting worse does not appeal!

Hope you can get some help/answers soon - they say the sooner you get help the better it can be! Good luck xx

Well I saw the physio today - I do have SPD and its pretty advanced, wish I had done something about it sooner :cry:

I have been given crutches and a tubigrip (until I can get a support belt) and told to rest as much as possible.

Oh no, hope your ok hun, I'm def gonna mention to midwife nxt week, I still feel like iv been kicked in the foof, and any small amount of walking makes me suffer, I'm kinda thinkin its just bones adjusting...doesn't sound as bad as yours, my hips hurt.too...Mmm see how it goes.

Hope your taking it easy now xx

Well I saw the physio today - I do have SPD and its pretty advanced, wish I had done something about it sooner :cry:

I have been given crutches and a tubigrip (until I can get a support belt) and told to rest as much as possible.

:( xx

Hi can i join you ladies with spd. i have it aswell :( seen my gp and a physio been given the tubigrip, told to rest, and i think the best one was ( are you ready to laugh) only use the stair to come down on a morning and to go back up to bed. also was told no heavy carrying e.g. shopping is a big no no. If it gets any worse to ring my physio back up and she will give me some crutches.

think this thread will come in handy for us girls at least we can support each other.

x

Hi can i join you ladies with spd. i have it aswell :( seen my gp and a physio been given the tubigrip, told to rest, and i think the best one was ( are you ready to laugh) only use the stair to come down on a morning and to go back up to bed. also was told no heavy carrying e.g. shopping is a big no no. If it gets any worse to ring my physio back up and she will give me some crutches.

think this thread will come in handy for us girls at least we can support each other.

x

I know, my physio said get yourself organised at the start of the day so you don't have to go upstairs for anything. Hmm, how about to pee fifty million times a day?! Totally unrealistic but I guess they have to say that so they can say I told you so when you go back and say nothing's working!

Yes it's always good to know other people are going through it too xx

Hi ladies, I'm off to see the physio today for SPD as a last minute cancellation. I'm so glad because I would have had to wait another 4 weeks otherwise, and going by the worsening pain that I have experienced in the last 4 weeks, I was not looking forward to another 4 without help.
Reading your posts with common complaints and tips makes me realise that I'm not the only one going through this and others understand.
I feel so frustrated by the comments at work or on the (very slow!) school run. The grumpy look on my face and snail's pace of my walk says it all. Everyone seems to have the same patronising comment "Are you struggling a bit now then?". All I want to say is "Yes, I f***ing am, actually!", but I don't think that language would be welcome in the playground or the workplace! :oooo:

Some people can be really patronising Fordee. When I was at work, one person from the nursery whom I rarely see or speak to felt it was appropriate to tell me I should be trying to keep fit rather than sit down so often. This was during a very active Zumba session for the kids 3 weeks ago (ie 32 weeks pregnant and clearly struggling with the pain) and she said I should be joining in!! Never mind the comments about not being able to do the housework when 'in my day we were still scrubbing the floors til we gave birth' - in your day did you feel like your pelvis was on fire or that your hips were going to break?? No didn't think so.

x

My original physio asked me if I could get hold of a commode when I told her my bathroom was upstairs!! :eh:

How are all you ladies finding sleeping? x

I find it difficult to get comfortable, though I have found my pregnancy pillow helps. Every time I try to turn over the pain wakes me up, I have to sit up and turn and lay down again rather than turning over whilst laying down xx

Well today is not a good day ... I'm in excruiciating pain. Think the walk from the car to the hospital yesterday (about 1/4 mile) screwed me. Ended up throwing in the towel at work, I can't drive which just makes things impossible for me

Devastated that its come to this, but will have to get on with it.

Tweetyfoo, I am really sorry to hear that you have had to finish work because of this. I had to finish work last week, 2 weeks earlier that planned so I know it's not as early as you have had to finish. I just wanted to let you know that although I am still getting pain, it is definitely easier, particularly at night because I am resting much more in the day. My physio explained that the more you do, the worse it is, so rest is the best thing xx

Thanks mrs_bump

I'm just feeling very sorry for myself today ... its crap

I know that hubby will be feeling overwhelmed having to look after me 24/7 as he is now off work for the summer and I feel like a total burden

It is crap - I know a few other girls who are pregnant at the moment and they seem to be having dream pregnancies and I just think why me!?!

I know it will be a lot for your husband, but hopefully if he is off for the summer, you will be able to have some good restful, quality time together. My husband has to help me dress some days, we never thought this is what pregnancy would be like!

Feel free to PM me if you want xx

My husband has to help me dress some days, we never thought this is what pregnancy would be like!

I know what you mean, my hubby never thought he'd be having to offer to help me out of bed or rushing to the bathroom when he hears me struggling in the bath or shower, he's always asking me if I need help. Stubborn me of course says no, but really I should be accepting the help and just deal with the feelings of failure afterwards :(

I knew pregnancy wouldn't exactly be a breeze, but I had no idea about any of these extremes, I will definitely need reminding of this next time I want to get pregnant!! xx

My husband has to dress me most days, I literally can't do anything for myself, Im in constant agony. Literally feels like I have a broken pelvis, any movement causes me to stifle a scream.

Walking is near impossible ... with crutches.

Everything else I need help with - but unfortunately my OH doesn't offer and I'm too stubborn and proud to ask.

Sleep wise i find it more comfy if im on my side with my knee/leg raised up a little but im not getting enough sleep. The worse has to be having a bath tho, I had to get my son (hes 14) to get my phone off the toilet seat and ring my mum a few wks back as i couldnt move. It was so embarrassing and i cant imagine how my lad felt. My physio told me to move upstairs. Its a nightmare, i think the only people that would understand is people that has had hip operations as what im using to get dressed and all is the same equipment that they use. I dreading going back to work as i never know what day im going to have with spd, as im getting good days and bad days and then really really bad days, and being a carer in the community everything ive been told not to do i have to do as part of my job.
My oh is kind of understanding as on tuesday night the pain was really bad to the point i was in tears, he turn round and said 'oh it cant be that bad or are u just a wuss?' my reply was 'imagine being kicked in the balls then times the pain by 1000 and have it last all day and night on your groin legs hips and back. Thats the pain im in, and i'd rather be giving birth than having this' he sort of got the point then, but hes been ok.
But i guess it will be all worth it in the end when we have our babies.

Zoe I got stuck in the bath too ... my hubby couldn't get me out, everytime I tried to move I was screaming in pain!

I had made the mistake of draining the water out of the bath first ... according to the physio this was silly. Last night was much better, it was easier to get out with the water in there, but still very painful.

DH doesn't understand the pain I'm in, but I can't blame him for that.

My biggest challenge at the minute during the night is that my bathroom is downstairs .. and I'm up 3-4 times a night to pee now.

I haven't had a good day yet ... I look forward to one ... everyday at the minute feels worse than the day before

Got appt with GP today to get signed off ... I feel like a failure :cry:

Its not nice being stuck in the bath, i have a plumbers here atm fitting a shower. As for work i got my rota for next weekend, and it sucks, im on calls that i cant do due to risks out from 5:30am right up to 11:20 with one (yes one) 15mins break Back out again at 12 till 16:00 then out agian from 16:40 till 22:10. and next sunday is the same. Some of my calls are a 2 carer call as theres moving and handling with equipment involve, and company policies state that pregnant women are to be removed from these calls. im fuming tbh. Sorrry rant over lol

some mornings are better than others for me its as the day goes on like now im dreading it as just getting up off the chair hurts so come teatime i know im not going anywhere, ill cook tea and take my sons laptop upstairs and stay there. worse thing is the pain relief isnt working and i dont know what else to do!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back