SPD

coco_cukoo

Reaction score
Hi all, just been diagnosed with SPD at my 24 week midwife appointment. Who else has it - does it get A LOT worse? Did you have to have time off work? Anyone ended up on crutches - anyone have any advice?? Sorry, 20 questions time!
They are referring me to physio and apparently they will tell me best ways to sit/stand/move etc and give me a pregnancy band for support.
At the moment it hurts to walk too far and back kills to do so...or even stand for too long, in bed my pelvis pops and clicks a lot when I move, cannot open my legs as hips hurt so much and getting pelvic pain quite a bit where I can't stand up straight. I know it's going to get worse too, ahhh!!
Would be great to hear anyone else's experiences etc. Thanks :) xxx

I don't want to tell you cos I don't want you to worry!!

I started getting SPD very early on, so please don't think that this is the same for everyone. Yes I have crutches. I don't use them all the time, but I am using them more frequently, yesterday I needed them all day whereas before I've only needed them in the evenings. I wear my tubigrip support, but I don't find it helps much anymore as it's not really my hips that are the most painful now, it's my pubic bone and groin that hurts most and the tubigrip doesn't work on that.
Best thing I can do is just follow the rules of 'legs together getting out of the car' and 'roll out of bed, not climb' etc. Swimming is nice, but you can't do breaststroke legs for obvious reasons, which just frustrates me because that's been my natural stroke since I was a toddler!
When you're sitting, try to imagine a tennis ball between your knees, don't separate them anymore than this. In bed, I sometimes use my v-pillow between my legs, but I've also found that if I put it under my thighs and raise my pillow height so that I'm sleeping with my back raised and legs slightly elevated that's a really comfy position for my. I discovered that by accident when I had a bad cough and couldn't breathe lying down!
Apart from that it's all just experimenting to see what your body will allow you to do, and being aware of your limits. It's taken me a long time to accept the crutches, yesterday was the first time I used them in public, but now I don't feel so bad about it. Accepting help was also difficult, but you just have to get used to it.

Hope I've not scared you too much xx

Aww thanks leesey. Oh no, as if you're having to use crutches already. I can't say mine is that bad at the moment really. I'm really going to have to get used to not sitting on the sofa with crossed legs & climbing in and out of bed! I'm going to take in all the advice given so thanks for yours - I'm getting married in 9 weeks & really don't want to be using crutches walking down the aisle lol. But if I have to at other times, so be it! Hope this doesn't put me off pregnancy - it was all going so well! Xx

It hasn't put me off yet, people keep asking me that. I would still do it all again!! It's actually DH I feel sorry for, as he has had to do everything round the house. I hate sitting while he's cleaning but needs must.

You'll be fine, you jsut get used to it xx

Oh, I will say you may have to rethink your bridal shoes if you're wearing heels, even kitten heels can hurt my back now. If you change your shoes make sure you try on your dress again in case alterations are needed, well in advance!! I had to get my dress length altered for my shoes when I got married last year, and it took weeks xx

Haha well I haven't even got my dress yet - did have one & just sold it cos it would never fit. Wasn't planning on becoming pregnant yet! I will swap my heels with my sisters flats as they are ivory. Hmm my OH is so lazy, all he does is washing up & thinks that's it, house tidy! I will have to kick his butt into shape very soon I think. I swear men do not notice mess lol. Thanks for the advice anyway, sounds like its all going to be fun fun fun :/ xx

sorry to hijack ur thread coco, but I was told I had spd a few weeks back and so far not had any help from mw or doctor! mw told me to just take it easy and my doctor told me off for still working while pregnant :shock: I know being a cleaner means my job is far from ideal with spd as hoovering, sweeping, mopping and scrubbing etc are all jobs u should avoid. I have been prescribed co-codamol for the pain, but this last week has been horrible with trying to get around. I'm walking around slower than old lady's with walking sticks at the mo!!

What should I do to get referred for physio? Cos i am seriously getting fed up with suffering now xxx

Don't apologise! You're not hijacking at all :)

I would ring your midwife & ask to be referred to physio ASAP. I'm actually feeling quite sick from the pain some days & verrrry faint (I get quite faint with pains lol god help me giving birth). Apparently the sooner it's diagnosed the better so they can do all they can for you. Are you under consultant care at all? Maybe at your 20 wk scan if you haven't already had it you can see the consultant too? Wow, unsure how you do your job cos its getting to the point it's hard to move now. Easier said than done not working though isn't it - I mean, where's money gonna come from without out jobs!! X

I am under consultant care, have an appointment next Friday to review my 28week growth scan from last week. I suppose I could try and hold out til then. I have the next 2 days off, working just 4hrs Sunday then monday off so hoping to take it as easy as possible the next few days.

Luckily I only have around 10 shifts left before going on maternity at the end of April! I can't wait to stop working. Walking around at work is a mission and I have to proper breathe through the pain to get around, took me like 5 mins to walk up the stairs at work this morning! Xxx

Kanga I had some info about physio in my notes, with a number to call if needed? I would get in touch with your hospital and say you need an urgent referral as your mobility has been seriously affected xx

Who would I contact at the hospital? The physio department directly or should I go through my mw? Xx

Ha sorry Kanga, I'm clearly blind! I thought your ticker said 19 weeks!! Need to zoom in on my phone a little more.

I would have thought they would have done something already, that's really bad to leave you suffering!! X

I've just been to my 16-18wks doctors appointment, and mentioned to him about my painful right hip....I thought maybe I was developing SPD. But he seemed really unconcerned, like it was just part of pregnancy. The thing is, the pain has more or less gone now (I havent done much walking at all in the past week), yet a couple of weeks ago I couldnt even move come the evening!
Can SPD go on its own? I don't know if I have it or not, but I'm relieved it seems to have gone for now as it was horrendous pain!!! xx

i have been diagnosed with this too, i do not have crutches yet although it is making working very difficult and i have had to quit due to being on my feet all day making it 10 times worse :( xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back